PDA

View Full Version : LT-48 Cracking around ring finger

Ptnomore
12-18-2016, 10:33 PM
I take great care of my equipment. None of my balls have been left in a car. Ive never had a ball crack before, but I noticed on Friday night that my LT-48 is cracking around the ring finger hole. Two cylindrical cracks, the first approx. 0.5 inches from the edge of the hole and the second is approx 0.25 inches away from that, both cylindrical going around the hole, starting on the palm side of the hole.

What the heck causes that??

bowl1820
12-18-2016, 11:34 PM
I take great care of my equipment. None of my balls have been left in a car. Ive never had a ball crack before, but I noticed on Friday night that my LT-48 is cracking around the ring finger hole. Two cylindrical cracks, the first approx. 0.5 inches from the edge of the hole and the second is approx 0.25 inches away from that, both cylindrical going around the hole, starting on the palm side of the hole.

What the heck causes that??

Circular cracks around the holes are common.

There's a laundry list of possible reasons for a ball cracking, any one can be the cause. Holes are weak spots and the ball takes a pounding hitting the lane and going through the pins.

The thing to do is just try to prevent them.

With holes take your time drilling them, don't go too fast you don't want to generate a lot of heat. Use of a pilot hole is helpful.

Make sure you bevel the holes.

If you use inserts, don't use too much glue and try to place the glue down in the filler material not in the coverstock if possible.

fordman1
12-19-2016, 04:46 PM
Is this one of the new LT48's or an old one that is 35-40 years old?

foreverincamo
12-19-2016, 09:20 PM
Can always drill it out, plug it, and redrill.

Ptnomore
12-21-2016, 02:19 PM
This is one of the new ones. Same ball driller has drilled all of my balls. 9 balls in 5 years, never a problem. I have an old Columbia 300 White Dot that is 30 years old that I still use, and even it hasn't cracked. My next oldest one is the Columbia 300 Freeze. No idea how many games are on that ball..100's more than what's on the LT48 though, easy.

I'll take it in on Friday to the Pro-shop owner to see what he says. Probably won't say anything good, but we'll see.

fordman1
12-21-2016, 03:25 PM
Made in Mexico? Sorry amigo.

1VegasBowler
12-21-2016, 04:52 PM
This is one of the new ones. Same ball driller has drilled all of my balls. 9 balls in 5 years, never a problem. I have an old Columbia 300 White Dot that is 30 years old that I still use, and even it hasn't cracked. My next oldest one is the Columbia 300 Freeze. No idea how many games are on that ball..100's more than what's on the LT48 though, easy.

I'll take it in on Friday to the Pro-shop owner to see what he says. Probably won't say anything good, but we'll see.

If the crack isn't bad, Brunswick won't do anything with it until it starts to become a big issue. When it does become a big issue, your PSO will take a picture and send it to Brunswick and your ball will be replaced.

This happened to my T Zone and my Ultimate Nirvana and never had an issue getting them replaced.