PDA

View Full Version : Why stored bowling balls crack theory

foreverincamo
12-22-2016, 08:54 AM
This is something I read a few days ago. The reason balls crack while stored in your house is the humidity levels are too low. Even though you're storing your equipment at " room temperature ", the lack of humidity causes the balls to dry out and crack. To fight this, store your balls in sealed plastic bags.
I've heard other theories over the years. The balls are always curing and the stress makes them crack. Being in one position too long caused the balls to crack. Balls are designed to crack after a few years so you have to buy new ones.
Anyone seal their equipment in bags?

Blomer
12-22-2016, 09:31 AM
I havent yet to have a ball crack on me. I have a few balls I haven't used in years sitting in their boxes in my basement. I've heard some say balls should be rotated around when not in use so they don't sit on the same point. I would think that a change of environment such as temperture would make them crack. Why people shouldn't leave them in their car if they live in areas let me the Midwest or in hot climates. But I would also assume poor maintenance of balls could cause cracking. Can't let the balls dry out.

NewToBowling
12-22-2016, 10:33 AM
I think the biggest issues isn't temperature but the dramatic change in temperature. If you keep it in a cool but constant temp place you should be fine. I think leaving it in your car in hot summers and/or cold winters then moving it to room temperature bowling alley (rinse/repeat throughout the year) is what does the most harm. Also anecdotal but from what I heard heat does more harm than cold. So 0 degrees is better than 120 degrees.

bowl1820
12-22-2016, 11:12 AM
There are many different theories on why balls crack anyone or a combination of them could be right or wrong such as:

They crack because the coverstock is placed under tension as it cures and shrinks slightly around a basically noncompressable core.
(The tension in the cover material is what causes it to propagate around the ball.)

Temperature Changes
Gravity
chemicals in carpets
chemicals in upholstery
the glue used to put the inserts in
the glue was placed on the cover stock not the filler
too much glue was used
the holes not beveled
bad plug job
the bit they drilled the holes with was dull
They Drilled the holes too fast
you let the ball sit too long without rotating it.
the bridge was too narrow
the holes are too close to the pin

Thin covers may be a factor also

A newer thought going around is that balls are shipped out before they are fully cured and that may be a factor also.

Undrilled balls just sitting on the shelf in proshops have been know to crack.

There are also several idea on how to prevent them from cracking. Sealing them in a plastic bag , storing with the holes pointing down.

Those ideas originally came from a blog post by Jeff Richgels about balls cracking and a article in the Fall 2008 edition of Pro Shop Insider written by Rich Jacobson.

Click here for The 11th Frame: The Ebonite article that tells you how to keep resin balls from cracking – and how I got it wrong (http://www.11thframe.com/news/article/6806)

Click here for the Ebonite Article (http://www.11thframe.com/PZN/richgels/blog/6806/Fall%202008%20PSIx.pdf)

I think it's combination of factors, It's unlikely the company "makes" them to crack after so long a time. It's just balls today have thin, highly porous covers compared to older balls. Their going to crack more easily, when stressed over time.

The thing is do the best you can to prevent it.

J Anderson
12-22-2016, 11:47 AM
This is something I read a few days ago. The reason balls crack while stored in your house is the humidity levels are too low. Even though you're storing your equipment at " room temperature ", the lack of humidity causes the balls to dry out and crack. To fight this, store your balls in sealed plastic bags.
I've heard other theories over the years. The balls are always curing and the stress makes them crack. Being in one position too long caused the balls to crack. Balls are designed to crack after a few years so you have to buy new ones.
Anyone seal their equipment in bags?

I could understand this if we were using wooden bowling balls. As a carpenter I know changes in humidity can cause doors to warp, floors to sag toward the middle of the house, hardwood floors to buckle and other problems ranging from merely annoying to serious. I've never heard of plastics having problems because of moisture, humidity or the lack there of.

foreverincamo
12-22-2016, 11:52 AM
We had a bowler bring his ball in from a ice cold trunk and throw it in practice without allowing it to warm up. Cracked from the thumbhole all the way around the ball on the first shot.

LOUVIT
12-22-2016, 12:16 PM
We had a bowler bring his ball in from a ice cold trunk and throw it in practice without allowing it to warm up. Cracked from the thumbhole all the way around the ball on the first shot.

Understandable, I used to keep mine in my trunk in Florida but they were in the house a good 15 minutes or more before they were thrown. And 90 degrees to 72 degrees a/c is not that big of a deal....

2handedsniper
12-22-2016, 02:32 PM
my ball just cracked in the cold, is upset because BW discontinued the blue lagoon

LOUVIT
12-22-2016, 04:14 PM
I think it's all your spouses hitting them with a 16oz hammer to keep your ***'s home.....bahahahahahaha

classygranny
12-22-2016, 08:18 PM
I think it's all your spouses hitting them with a 16oz hammer to keep your ***'s home.....bahahahahahaha

NOT....Just made me spend money on another ball. And then of course, I couldn't make up my mind, so I just bought two! He says he can't really support my "cracked ball" habit. haha

LOUVIT
12-22-2016, 09:07 PM
NOT....Just made me spend money on another ball. And then of course, I couldn't make up my mind, so I just bought two! He says he can't really support my "cracked ball" habit. haha

you may have to crack his......:(