PDA

View Full Version : Ball Cleaners

Blomer
12-22-2016, 09:27 AM
What ball cleaners are you using?
I'm still using primarily That Purple Stuff. The PSO gave me some other stuff to try and seems to work well. I usually use the round micro fiber pads that are made to buff and wax cars to clean the balls as well. I like how they fit right in the hand to give a good cleaning.

JasonNJ
12-22-2016, 09:52 AM
What ball cleaners are you using?
I'm still using primarily That Purple Stuff. The PSO gave me some other stuff to try and seems to work well. I usually use the round micro fiber pads that are made to buff and wax cars to clean the balls as well. I like how they fit right in the hand to give a good cleaning.

I use Clean and Dull with my ball spinner and that stuff is amazing. Takes out the oil track lines and lane shine and makes the ball almost look new.

I always carry a bottle of the windex looking stuff in my bag too, either Bowlingball.com, Buddies Pro shop brand, depending on who I ordered it last from.

NewToBowling
12-22-2016, 10:31 AM
I've only use The Purple Stuff. Can't compare it to anything else but from what I can it does a good job of cleaning. Purchased the spray bottle version and lasting longer with spray.

drlawsoniii
12-22-2016, 02:21 PM
I use simple green I put about 1/2 cup in the kitchen sink and fill it up with hot tap water and let the balls soak for half an hour or so.

Tony
12-22-2016, 02:41 PM
I regular use different ball cleaners and have the last few years, currently using clean and dull and it seems to work pretty good.

LOUVIT
12-22-2016, 04:11 PM
Mine are still fairly new and I still can't find a track on them. 4-6 months old. I wipe them with alcohol once in a while.

ep1977
12-22-2016, 06:09 PM
I use that purple stuff after I'm done bowling every time.

KYDave
12-24-2016, 06:21 PM
I am very OCD about cleaning. I have tried several over the years, and even though there are some that i consistently buy, that doesn't stop me from trying new products all the time lol. Here is a brief rundown of what I have used and my thoughts.

Approved during play

Storm Reacta clean- does an ok job on surface oil with a bit of effort. Takes a lot of effort to remove anything outside of that. Ball is clean, but not tacky. Similar results from rubbing alcohol. Bit of an alcohol type smell but not bad.

Motiv power gel clean- does a decent job with oil and grime with little effort. Oil rings and belt marks not so much. Very easy to use and less messy being a gel. Clean, not much tack. Kinda smells like a cleaner haha.

MonsterTac- good cleaner without much effort. Still does nothing for oil rings or belt marks. Looks and smells like windex, but tested side by side MT does a better job. Clean, some tack. Windex type smell.

Genesis Hydro- very good cleaner. Very similar to MT, but seems to take a little less effort and cleans a bit more of the more difficult stuff. You have to be angry with it for serious grime and belt marks. Clean, medium amount of tack. A little on the spendy side unless you commit to a big bottle. Neutral smell with a hint of windex.

Valentino Remedy Rx- awesome cleaner. It will power thru just about anything, including belt marks with a bit of effort. Clean, serious amount of tack. Can just about palm the ball if it weren't 15lb. Mouthwash smell.

Approved before and after

Genesis Intense Doesn't seem to clean anything the hydro won't get. However, much more tacky than the hydro. Close to the Remedy Rx for tacky.

Genesis Maxx Cleans it all. Some of the more nasty bits require a bit more effort but still easy to use. Smells absolutely terrible like fingernail polish remover. Stuff does work tho. Bit of tack to it. Spendy unless you commit to a big bottle.

Powerhouse clean n dull Very good cleaner. Will clean it all. Takes a little more effort than the Maxx. But the trade off is it isn't near as stinky and a little cheaper.

Hope this helps.

fokai73
12-24-2016, 07:15 PM
Valentino Rx during league play and CnD after a dozen or so games for some deep cleaning.

1VegasBowler
12-27-2016, 11:41 PM
I use TPS every 2 weeks on everything I used in that time. I won't use it at the bowling alley because it stinks to the high heavens and never seems to go away.

Sometimes I'll use Power House Energizer ball cleaner at the alley. Good citrus smell and brings back the tacky feel.

Amyers
12-28-2016, 09:31 AM
Nice breakdown Dave. I'll agree with everything you said other than the genesis products and that's because I haven't tried them.

Coorslghtman1025
12-29-2016, 11:24 PM
Is Tac Up good bowling ball cleaner?

bowl1820
12-30-2016, 12:00 AM

I've used Tac-up before, it's a decent cleaner.

Blacksox1
12-30-2016, 12:02 AM

I currently use this product:)

1VegasBowler
12-30-2016, 01:11 AM
I use Max Tack (Bowlers Mart) as well. Decent on oil, but you need a little bit of elbow grease for belt marks.

fokai73
12-30-2016, 02:10 AM
Remedy Rx and Clean and Dull are both good. Remedy Rx during league play and CnD for deep cleaning. I like both because they work real good and they don't smell. But I've been using CnD for a long time now, when they were owned by track. Remedy Rx for 7 to 9 years??? now. I"ve used several cleaners in the past and started liking LMB extreme but they don't make them anymore. It's better than Clean and Dull, but open the garage doors when working it lol.

there are many cleaners out there, but the best one I've used (sampled) comes out from japan. You clean the ball and it gets cleaned and very tacky. I can palm a basketball and I'm able to pick up a 14 to 15 lbs ball after using this cleaner. I wish I remembered the name......

1VegasBowler
12-30-2016, 02:57 AM
Remedy Rx and Clean and Dull are both good. Remedy Rx during league play and CnD for deep cleaning. I like both because they work real good and they don't smell. But I've been using CnD for a long time now, when they were owned by track. Remedy Rx for 7 to 9 years??? now. I"ve used several cleaners in the past and started liking LMB extreme but they don't make them anymore. It's better than Clean and Dull, but open the garage doors when working it lol.

there are many cleaners out there, but the best one I've used (sampled) comes out from japan. You clean the ball and it gets cleaned and very tacky. I can palm a basketball and I'm able to pick up a 14 to 15 lbs ball after using this cleaner. I wish I remembered the name......

That's what I have to do with TPS. lol

KYDave
12-30-2016, 06:24 AM
It has been said by several sources that the guy who made all the lane master cleaners (became LMB intl) now makes the Genesis cleaner line. Don't remember his name off hand. But the Maxx cleaner I talked about is supposed to be the same formula as the blue extreme. I can't say for sure except for it does work and it does stink lol.

chip82901
12-30-2016, 05:32 PM
Currently using Monster Tac from bowlingball.com. It does great as a cleaner, but you REALLY gotta work those belt marks out. Be careful using rubbing alcohol, as last I checked you can't use it at major tournaments as it is a legend that it softens the surface of the bowling ball. I don't know if that's true or not, but that's what I've always been told. And I've had more balls crack after using rubbing alcohol compared to the now 2 years I've been using monster tac. Best results I've had with the monster tac came from using it with a ball spinner

bowl1820
12-30-2016, 05:55 PM
Be careful using rubbing alcohol, as last I checked you can't use it at major tournaments as it is a legend that it softens the surface of the bowling ball. I don't know if that's true or not, but that's what I've always been told.

Rubbing Alcohol doesn't soften the surface of the ball.

(Nail polish remover (Acetone) on the other hand, which is commonly used for ball cleaning does though.)

Most major tournaments prohibit the use of any cleaners, not just Alcohol. Rubbing Alcohol is USBC approved for anytime use, unless otherwise provided by league or tournament rule though.

And I've had more balls crack after using rubbing alcohol compared to the now 2 years I've been using monster tac. Best results I've had with the monster tac came from using it with a ball spinner

Most likely that was just a coincidence, in all the years that alcohol has been used for cleaning balls. There's never been any documented evidence that it harms a balls coverstock.

KYDave
12-30-2016, 06:10 PM
Found the info. NextGen bowling and Sam Baca (lane masters)were the names I was looking for. Also apparently the Genesis Intense I reviewed is the formula or atleast based upon the Lane masters/lmb I-tack.

1VegasBowler
12-30-2016, 08:34 PM
Rubbing Alcohol doesn't soften the surface of the ball.

(Nail polish remover (Acetone) on the other hand, which is commonly used for ball cleaning does though.)

Most major tournaments prohibit the use of any cleaners, not just Alcohol. Rubbing Alcohol is USBC approved for anytime use, unless otherwise provided by league or tournament rule though.

Most likely that was just a coincidence, in all the years that alcohol has been used for cleaning balls. There's never been any documented evidence that it harms a balls coverstock.

The only time you can use a cleaner during most tournaments is if there is excess glue on the ball and the tournament director reserves the right to decide on a case to case basis.

You can, however. use a cleaner before competition starts (when the 10-15 minutes of practice begins is the start) and after your day of competition has been completed in its entirety.

Blomer
12-30-2016, 08:44 PM
Let's say you have a tam even and she hen you have doubles or singles, can you clean your ball between events?

1VegasBowler
12-30-2016, 11:32 PM
Let's say you have a tam even and she hen you have doubles or singles, can you clean your ball between events?

Depends on the rules. There are some that will not let you do it if you bowl both on the same day.

That's why it's extremely important to read the rules well before hand.

In the PBA event I'll be in in March, there is one day (2hours) that is dedicated for practice, and that 2 hours will tell you just about everything you need to know about the lanes and the transition, and you can make surface changes to the equipment you are planning on using during the tournament, and you can only have 9 balls during the qualifiers.

But once the 10-15 minutes of warmups start, you can't do anything until your day is done.

JaxBowlingGuy
12-30-2016, 11:55 PM
Id say most tournaments don't have rules against cleaners. The exception being PBA and USBC nationals. Aside from those, I have never bowled in one or even noticed it in an rules of tournaments i considered.

You can alter the surface in between games during PBA if you make the stepladder finals.

bowl1820
12-31-2016, 08:42 AM
The only time you can use a cleaner during most tournaments is if there is excess glue on the ball and the tournament director reserves the right to decide on a case to case basis.

Unless there is league or tournament rule that say's you can't. You can use cleaner's that are approved for use during competition.

As for excess glue on a ball, the rule is about the use of acetone and acetone based products.

That's PBA rule 11.7.4 "Acetone and acetone based products may be used only for the removal of excess glue around the gripping area."

(The USBC AFAIK follows this also, but it's not mentioned in the Rulebook.)

and yes the tournament director usually reserves the right to decide on a case to case basis any issue that arises and has the final say.

bowl1820
12-31-2016, 08:58 AM
Id say most tournaments don't have rules against cleaners. The exception being PBA and USBC nationals. Aside from those, I have never bowled in one or even noticed it in an rules of tournaments i considered.

Pretty much you don't usually see a rule against cleaning in the more local tournaments, even the local USBC ones. It's not in the USBC state tournament here from what I can see, Now it might be in some other states rules or they could possibly announce it at the tournament.

1VegasBowler
12-31-2016, 12:43 PM
Pretty much you don't usually see a rule against cleaning in the more local tournaments, even the local USBC ones. It's not in the USBC state tournament here from what I can see, Now it might be in some other states rules or they could possibly announce it at the tournament.

Unless it's a USBC Major, I don't recall it myself. But we have 2 tournaments coming up in the next 2 months and now I've got to look. lol

We also have the Team USA trials here starting Tuesday, and I have to look. Just found out last night I have to work it all next week. lol

1VegasBowler
12-31-2016, 12:57 PM
For the Team USA Trials.

Rule #10

10. Bowling ball surface adjustments by hand are acceptable between games provided they are done by the Athlete only, in the designated area and that the adjustment procedure does not delay the bowlers next turn. Altering the surface of the bowling ball during a game is not allowed. If the surface is adjusted during a game the penalty is zero pin fall in that game.

I'm guessing that they put this rule in because there will be ball Reps from each company there.

I'll ask Chuck On The Truck if he's going to be there.