PDA

View Full Version : Finally decided to drop to 14lb ball - but what to get?

taxexpert2
12-26-2016, 04:38 AM
I have decided it is time to give up the 15 lb ball Roto Grip Unhinged and find something in the 14lb range that I like. I have a 14 lb Storm Punch out that I picked up a couple of years ago that I like some what. Can anyone suggest something similar to this? Maybe a little more reactive but not a lot more reactive? For reference I am female, with a 171 average. Sort of a tweener bowler. I bowl in two leagues where I have among the highest female averages (highest in one but not the other but still up there).

I am thinking about a HyRoad - which I had before. Any other suggestions?

KYDave
12-26-2016, 09:37 AM
I recently picked up the new Roto Grip Daredevil and I can't say enough good things about it. Very versatile ball that I can use on a lot of different conditions. Smooth and predictable but still has a lot of shape down lane.

It is a pearl 1500 polished like the Punch out but a more aggressive symm core. The Storm Code Black is another option as it uses the same coverstock as the Punch out but with a much stronger assym core. The Hyroad is a proven ball as you know. I think it would be hard to go wrong with any of the 3.

LOUVIT
12-26-2016, 11:25 AM
I bowl in a senior league and I also wanted to go to 14, but I have noticed that the guy's who use 14's leave some 5 pins and 14 doesn't seem to hit hard enough. I'd like to since my ball speed now with the 15 is only like 12mph

Amyers
12-26-2016, 12:02 PM
Hard to beat a classic like the hyroad and it should be a good step up from the punchout. I'd go with that and build from there but they should make a good 1-2 for league night.

Stormed1
12-26-2016, 12:26 PM
I agree nwitrh the above mentioned Hy-Road and Dare Devil. A coupe other choices would be the Hy-Wire from Roto, the Forza GT or Venom Cobra from Motiv, any of the Diva's from DV8

Tony
12-26-2016, 02:16 PM
Hard to beat a classic like the hyroad and it should be a good step up from the punchout. I'd go with that and build from there but they should make a good 1-2 for league night.

I couldn't agree more, I dropped to 14 three years ago and have tried about 8 different balls since then, the Hy-Road has been the most usable, dependable ball of any of them, and still the first ball out of the bag most nights.
I would say there are 10 to 20 other guys I know with HYRoads and none of them will give them up.

NewToBowling
12-26-2016, 02:32 PM
I have a 14 lb Unhinged which I don't use much anymore. It has been drilled though

YODA
12-26-2016, 04:50 PM
DV8 Diva would be a good choice IMO... :)

stargell1
12-26-2016, 05:26 PM
I bowl in a senior league and I also wanted to go to 14, but I have noticed that the guy's who use 14's leave some 5 pins and 14 doesn't seem to hit hard enough. I'd like to since my ball speed now with the 15 is only like 12mph

People bowl 300 games with 14's.

Blomer
12-26-2016, 05:31 PM
Try the Hy-Road as you mentioned. Probably the most reliable ball out there.

Blacksox1
12-26-2016, 11:25 PM
Not sure if everyone is talking the hy-road solid or pearl. The RG haywire is far superior to the hy-road solid. Owned each one. My haywire is also 14# averaged over 215 in two leagues for a full season last year. This year in same two leagues over 218. Hy-road could not come close to these numbers.

JOB300
12-27-2016, 03:55 PM
I dropped to 14# a few years ago. Arthritis in the elbow was causing pain @ 15#. I havent noticed a difference in the ball hitting the pins, but im a higher rev player. I would recommend the hyroad pearl. Its my go to ball. Picking up the code black tonight before league.

mc_runner
12-27-2016, 04:00 PM
Not sure if everyone is talking the hy-road solid or pearl. The RG haywire is far superior to the hy-road solid. Owned each one. My haywire is also 14# averaged over 215 in two leagues for a full season last year. This year in same two leagues over 218. Hy-road could not come close to these numbers.

I'd imagine the original hybrid. I too have a Haywire and between that and the original (blue) HyRoad it's a pretty solid 1-2 punch.

JaxBowlingGuy
12-27-2016, 04:01 PM

I think everyone is talking about the regular hyroad that's been out since 08ish, not the Pearl or solid... the Hybrid.

chip82901
12-27-2016, 05:11 PM
I switched from 15# to 14# equipment about 3 years ago as I wanted to pick up my ball speed with the more aggressive equipment coming out. I am usually around 16.5-17.2 at the back end depending on how soon the ball picks up friction. For me, I actually get better pin action with the 14# equipment due to the little bit higher ball speed. If you're looking for a ball that hits like a tank and gets down lane, I absolutely LOVE my Storm Street Fight. But as for going down in weight, it hasn't made any difference except my ball speed is higher, and the twister pins at my home house tend to fly around a bit more.

LOUVIT
12-27-2016, 05:37 PM
interesting how many do throw 14. Like I said earlier I am only at like 12.5 mph with a 15. Would a 14 really give me more mph? I think my rev rate is ok. I do carry light hits and do not leave any 5 pins...lol

classygranny
12-27-2016, 10:47 PM
interesting how many do throw 14. Like I said earlier I am only at like 12.5 mph with a 15. Would a 14 really give me more mph? I think my rev rate is ok. I do carry light hits and do not leave any 5 pins...lol

I dropped to 14# about 3 years ago, and yes, I gained ball speed as well as accuracy. So glad I did, as sometimes now my elbow hurts the next day really bad - would hate to think what it might feel like if I was still at 15#.

LOUVIT
12-29-2016, 12:24 PM
I dropped to 14# about 3 years ago, and yes, I gained ball speed as well as accuracy. So glad I did, as sometimes now my elbow hurts the next day really bad - would hate to think what it might feel like if I was still at 15#.

how is the carry on light hits, I despise leaving a 5 pin...lol

stargell1
12-29-2016, 04:29 PM
The Pro at my center uses a 14 lb ball only and regularly shoots 250-270's games in the leagues.

JasonNJ
12-29-2016, 05:11 PM
I was told Speed is the number one factor in pin action, so 1 MPH gain is much greater than 1 lb weight increase.

classygranny
12-29-2016, 09:18 PM
how is the carry on light hits, I despise leaving a 5 pin...lol

I rarely leave a 5 pin, and usually if I do it has to do with a poor release. When I dropped weight, I gained ball speed (which is still only about 14) and accuracy, which made my carry better. Lately, I seem to be in a 7 pin leaving streak, but I think that's just the Brunswick lanes and the changing to their "winter" oil. Rather the 7 than the 10, so I'm trying not to complain.

chip82901
12-30-2016, 05:36 PM
I have a fairly high rev rate and my ball speed is around 16.5-17.2 at the pins. Only time I ever leave a 5 pin in something on a light hit is when I'm throwing my pitch blue and it loses the angle. I feel I'm more accurate with 14# equipment now than I was before, my ball speed picked up about 1/2mph, and I usually see more messengers.

LOUVIT
12-30-2016, 06:37 PM
I may just try a 14#, now to decide which one to buy, I now have a 15# Track Heat and Storm phaze, they both move a lot on the back end and I don't think I have a bad rev rates for a 12mph ball speed. I have to get with my coach Tampabaybob a few more times. In my mind my release and timing are on but who knows unless some one watches. I missed my last 2 league weeks due to being sick, so it;s been 3 weeks since I picked up a ball. I've been searching Amazon for a cheap camcorder, I so have one but it uses AAA batteries that last like 20 minutes...lol I need rechargeable one.

BTW I need to win a ball to get a 14#...lol...Some guy on my league tried to sell me a used one (forgot what it was for 100.00...really? and 50 to redrill it, new would be cheaper.....haha

Tony
01-02-2017, 03:03 PM

The Hy Road I was talking about is the original blue / black, Boysenberry scented ball, it's known as a consistent ball that can handle many conditions even after all these years. Glad to see you're having great success with the Haywire, I've seen many guys do well with them, it appears it's a great ball for your game and conditions !

LOUVIT
01-02-2017, 11:08 PM
I think my backswing is really low, There are times I realize this. If I can get my backswing higher that may give me speed also. I have no issue throwing a 15# ball I just want more speed. I went from 16 to 15 and really no change in ball speed

taxexpert2
01-03-2017, 07:41 AM
Ok. So I talked to the pros in the shop. They are offering me a 14# ball with a bit more power than the current Roto Grip Unhinged. Actually two offers at a good price -
Brunswick Absolute Nervana and DV8 Vandal Smash. I do not know much about either of these and would appreciate input. I am familiar with Storm products and now the Roto Grip Unhinged. I was thinking that if I went down in weight I might want something a little more powerful but just not sure about either of these choices.

KYDave
01-03-2017, 07:27 PM
Not at all what I would have expected them to offer. The unhinged is a high Rg polished symmetrical ball. Both Abs nirvana and smash are low Rg solid assymetrical balls. The Abs has a ton of surface and is a very early ball. Not enough oil and it will burn up quick. Not to say you couldnt adjust the surface from the oob 1500 sanded, but it is a still a very quick rev and early midlane ball. Cant speak much about the smash, not familiar with it other than the specs.

LOUVIT
01-04-2017, 04:44 PM
Well once again after watching that guy who throws a nice rolling ball with a decent hook. He left at least 5 pocket 5-7's and 2 5 pins that I noticed a few 2-4-5's. I still say that the 14 pound ball does not carry a lot of hits that could be strikes or at least better leaves. Maybe it's just him, he averages in the 170's I think which to me isn't bad bit I couldn't live with the leaves I see from him. This is just my opinion and what keeps me from dropping a pound. Like I said I went from 16 to 15 and really didn't pick up any speed but at least I don't leave 5 pins. I do blow out light hits but for some reason leave the 7 with a bunch of pins around it.

KYDave
01-04-2017, 05:31 PM
I lean towards it is him haha. Carry is more about getting into a roll at the right time and entry angle. Of course speed doesn't hurt either. Have you noticed where his ball leaves the pindeck?
That being said, if you don't have a problem with 15lb I don't know I would just change yet. I'd work on the backswing first. Not sure how low is low to you but that is def something to look at.

Tampabaybob
01-09-2017, 01:59 PM
Take a look at the Roto Grip Hy-Wire. It's a Hybrid that Ive recommended several times and the people that have bought it, love it.

taxexpert2
01-11-2017, 09:29 AM
Picking up that new DV8 Vandal Smash today. Anxious about it. Hoping it helps with the problems with the arthritis in my hand. Will let you all know. League tonight but will try the ball out for a few games before league.

KYDave
01-11-2017, 06:06 PM
Awesome! Are you doing a layout similar to the unhinged or something different?
Good luck tonight! Will be curious to see how you like the ball and the weight.

LOUVIT
01-12-2017, 01:58 PM
Ok I may have changed my opinion, Yesterday I bowled with a guy who threw a 14. He had some speed on it and he did move the 5 pin out, He didn't blow it out but he didn't leave it either. The guy is 80 years old and I can't believe the speed he was throwing His release was more of a straight roll from the right side and it did hook a little. But for a 14# ball it seemed to hit hard.

sharkey53
01-12-2017, 05:16 PM
Ok I may have changed my opinion, Yesterday I bowled with a guy who threw a 14. He had some speed on it and he did move the 5 pin out, He didn't blow it out but he didn't leave it either. The guy is 80 years old and I can't believe the speed he was throwing His release was more of a straight roll from the right side and it did hook a little. But for a 14# ball it seemed to hit hard.

I'm using a 14# right now. That's what I always used when I bowled with house balls and when I bought my ball that's what I stuck with. I've had success with that weight and usually don't have alot of bad leaves (although it happens to us all at some point regardless of ball weight). My speed is average and I get some good revs on the ball (don't have an exact number). I asked my PSO if I should go up in weight when I buy my next ball and he thought I should stay at the same weight with the way I bowl. Whatever works for each individual is the best ball/weight I guess.

NewToBowling
01-12-2017, 06:03 PM
I've only ever used 14# balls so can't compare. In fact when getting first ball wanted 12 or 13 as I had weak wrists at the time. A few years later and wrist curls and I probably wouldn't have an issue with heavier weight but also don't see any downside to 14# so staying here.

LOUVIT
01-13-2017, 05:57 PM
I really wish I could find one that fit me to just try, The gut I bowled with this week thumb was too small. I'll say one thing when I finally buy my spare ball it will be a 14....

thing is when I went from 16 to 15 I didn't pick up any speed really I throw 12.5mph ..well that's what the board says. I try to raise my backswing bit I need to practice, Lately I've only been bowling once a week

J Anderson
01-14-2017, 08:13 AM
I really wish I could find one that fit me to just try, The gut I bowled with this week thumb was too small. I'll say one thing when I finally buy my spare ball it will be a 14....

thing is when I went from 16 to 15 I didn't pick up any speed really I throw 12.5mph ..well that's what the board says. I try to raise my backswing bit I need to practice, Lately I've only been bowling once a week

Lou, at the start of this season ball speed seemed to be down by at least 1 mph. I have been focusing on loosening up my shoulders, mostly by doing shoulder rotations lying on my side, and my speed seems to be back to normal.

Hammer
01-15-2017, 02:45 PM

I bowl with a urethane Blue Hammer which is 14# and it work great. If a 14# isn't hitting hard enough it could be your release style or the surface of your ball. I am 70 and my ball speed is 13 to 14.5mph. My release got better this year and my 14# Blue hits pretty good. So your release can make a 14# better or worse which it will be with any ball you use.

KYDave
01-15-2017, 08:40 PM
Dang, still no update on the smash? Curious how you liked it and the 14lb

taxexpert2
01-16-2017, 07:11 AM
Well, I did bowl two games before league and the first two league games with the 14lb ball. Not toally comfortable with it yet. So I bowled the last league game with the 15 lb ball. The new ball is drilled somewhat differently due to severe arthritis in a couple of fingers. But my hand felt much better after bowling. Went back on Friday to see what the story is really with the new ball. The 15lb ball is much pickier. The 14lb ball has very different action. I think I will have to move forward on the lane to get the ball to the pocket consistently. Most of the strikes I have been making with the 14lb ball have been on the brooklyn side. Still trying to get to that confidence level I had with the other ball. It is a work in progress. Bowl again today in another league. We will see.

taxexpert2
01-22-2017, 05:56 AM
Not such a happy camper right now. The Vandal Smash has such a different action than my other balls I am thinking I made an expensive mistake here. I can get strikes but I can never remember how I got them - brain fog setting in when I set up for the shot. So far my average has not suffered but that is partially because I am using both balls depending on what the lane is doing. Can't figure out what to do with the Smash when the oil changes. Guess I should have spent the extra money to get the operating manual but it won't do any good if the operator is not functioning properly. It makes life interesting anyway. Always up for a challenge.

KYDave
01-22-2017, 09:00 AM
Well that's a bummer. I'm sure it is a good ball. But I'm not surprised it rolls quite a bit different, as I said earlier, it is quite a bit different ball.

Not at all what I would have expected them to offer. The unhinged is a high Rg polished symmetrical ball. Both Abs nirvana and smash are low Rg solid assymetrical balls.

That being said, what does it do that you don't like? Does it over hook or lay down in the back? Is it jumpy or unpredictable action?

Perhaps it will just take some time being that it is different. And different isn't necessarily a bad thing. Or maybe a surface adjustment can make it perform more to your liking.

Hang in there!

taxexpert2
01-23-2017, 08:56 AM
Well, since I haven't been able to get my favorite coach out on the lanes with me since I got it it is a little hard to me to say what it is doing. In my mind it is over hooking. But also to me that is a function of the operator not the ball. Consistency in speed and point of release SHOULD resolve this for the most part but I haven't been able to get a good release point consistently so that make the speed idea moot. It is a work in progress. My hand feels better but there are other muscles that are being used that were not being used before. One must have patience in this game.

Tony
01-23-2017, 11:28 AM
Well, since I haven't been able to get my favorite coach out on the lanes with me since I got it it is a little hard to me to say what it is doing. In my mind it is over hooking. But also to me that is a function of the operator not the ball. Consistency in speed and point of release SHOULD resolve this for the most part but I haven't been able to get a good release point consistently so that make the speed idea moot. It is a work in progress. My hand feels better but there are other muscles that are being used that were not being used before. One must have patience in this game.

Based on the difference in ball type from your previous ball it looks like it should move more boards than the old ball does, you will most likely have to play deeper and stay in the oil or change the surface to play in your normal spot with that ball. I used a Vandal Smash on a demo day and that's what it felt like to me, I didn't like the way it or the Absolute Nirvana played for me but you should be able to get your PSO to help you adjust it to be better for your game.

taxexpert2
02-06-2017, 05:57 AM
YES!!! finally figured out the new ball. Couple of 200's and I am a happy camper again. Still have a little problem with figuring out spares but that will come with time. Thanks to all who posted here. A lot of the informtion really helped. A great place to get good (and bad, I suppose) advice.

KYDave
02-06-2017, 04:55 PM
Awesome!!

Glad you stuck with it and got it working for you. I know the feeling of getting a new ball and having that sinking feeling that maybe it wasn't the right choice.

Are you happy about the weight or have you really noticed much difference?

taxexpert2
02-08-2017, 03:04 PM
Surprising I do notice difference and my poor arthritic hand notices it a lot!!! Have much more speed and more rotation. Just have to remember what ball I am bowling. Managed to sell the old one the other day so it won't be a real problem.