PDA

View Full Version : Anybody ever use a thumb sock?

1VegasBowler
12-28-2016, 12:03 AM
I just ordered a couple of them because my thumb is getting chewed up to the point where I have a small hole in it.

I'm also getting Vise NT50Y finger tape (Wes Malott tape) for my other fingers.

All of this because of how dry it is out here and I'm tired of smelling the Ether from the new skin I have to put on every time I bowl. lol

panbanger
12-28-2016, 08:25 AM
I've tried a thumb sock for a couple frames but they are too slippery. Almost dropped the ball behind me on my approach. Now I just use a small piece of tape on the spot on my thumb that will normally blister. The main problem is that I'm probably overdue to have my hand remeasured or regripped or whatever the correct term is lol

bowl1820
12-28-2016, 09:11 AM
I just ordered a couple of them because my thumb is getting chewed up to the point where I have a small hole in it.

I'm also getting Vise NT50Y finger tape (Wes Malott tape) for my other fingers.

All of this because of how dry it is out here and I'm tired of smelling the Ether from the new skin I have to put on every time I bowl. lol

Given if the thumb damage is do to the dry weather, Not any fit issue. The regular use of a skin moisturizer would probably be of the more benefit.

One thing to note is that New Skin can cause drying of the skin if it's left on too long. So if your skin is dry to begin with, it could aggravate the condition more.

Blomer
12-28-2016, 10:27 AM
Sounds like something is wrong with thumb hole. Take ur in to your PSO. Have you tried thumb tape. Someone on my team has same issue and uses the tape on both sides of his thumb. Or perhaps in the thumb hole?

fordman1
12-28-2016, 10:38 AM
Well is the hole in your thumb in the front or back of the thumb? If you listened to our board you would put moisturizer on and or tape. Thing is that won't work the tape will fall off if you use the moisturizer.

JaxBowlingGuy
12-28-2016, 10:41 AM
Super glue over new skin

bowl1820
12-28-2016, 10:51 AM
Thing is that won't work the tape will fall off if you use the moisturizer.

True if you put the moisturizer on just before the tape.

But you would use it earlier in the day (not right before applying tape) and overtime to return the skin to a softer more normal condition.

fordman1
12-28-2016, 11:09 AM
Got a little chuckle out of that one. It reminded me of a commercial on TV. You can even rub a little under your eyes to get rid of those annoying circles.
Check out the thumb pillow or cushion. You put it in the back of the thumb hole and you still get the feel of the ball in the front. Make it as tight as you can and it still comes out clean every time.

chip82901
12-28-2016, 11:49 AM
Try the Bio Skin made by vise. It's not very thick and does a great job. I occasionally tear my finger open during tournaments due to overuse of my rosin bag. This tape sticks well and you hardly notice it, and keeps things from splitting more. It isn't sticky on the outside, and I think you'll get what you're looking for. No more new skin!

1VegasBowler
12-28-2016, 12:43 PM
I want to thank all of you who have responded so far, and I appreciate all of the input.

A far as the thumb hole goes, my PSO has checked it a couple of times this year and he says all is good. He is the one who recommended the thumb sock.

As far as moisturizer goes, I started using it recently but it's going to take some time to get the areas worked out.

The small hole is on the inside of the thumb just above the bend of the knuckle, and the other spot that is starting to get bad is on the inside of the top knuckle of the middle finger and this is where I'm going to use the tape.

The thumb socks are arriving today and I'm going to try it tonight. I'll let you know how it worked out.

Blomer
12-28-2016, 02:29 PM
When we got my Grudge Hybrid, whenever I see it I felt a pinch on the finger print side of the thumb just about the crease. Looking at the thumb hole, the slug wasn't drilled right in the middle, there was more slug on top of the hole. I had it redrilled in the middle and felt so much better.

chip82901
12-28-2016, 04:17 PM
Like I said, if you don't like the feel of the sock, try the Bio Skin from Vise. Its a smooth surface, and a lot of the guys around here use it on their thumbs for similar reason's you're having. Hope it helps

1VegasBowler
12-29-2016, 03:02 AM
I used one tonight and for the first 5 frames I couldn't hit the ocean with an aircraft carrier, but I did manage a 173 by striking out in the 9th & 10th. after that I had a 241 and a 204.

JasonNJ
12-29-2016, 05:14 PM
I used one tonight and for the first 5 frames I couldn't hit the ocean with an aircraft carrier, but I did manage a 173 by striking out in the 9th & 10th. after that I had a 241 and a 204.

Nice recovery, so did you finally get used to the sock and you bowled well or did you ditch it?

Also what was the issue with the first 5 frames? Just getting used to the sock?

1VegasBowler
12-29-2016, 06:06 PM
Nice recovery, so did you finally get used to the sock and you bowled well or did you ditch it?

Also what was the issue with the first 5 frames? Just getting used to the sock?

I had no intentions of ditching it, so I fought thru it and once I got the feel I was set! lol

JOB300
12-31-2016, 05:54 PM
Try o'keefs working hands. Works very well and isn't oily.