PDA

View Full Version : Ball advice for a 5-year old

mishatx
01-03-2017, 03:42 PM
I'm a once-a-month-or-so recreational bowler, and my nearly-5 year old is the one who usually wants to go the lanes. The center keeps the 6 pound balls behind the desk, and occasionally they are all being used, or didn't get returned and you need to hunt through the house balls to find one. So I was thinking that the little lady might like to have her own ball to take to the alley.

Couple questions:
1. I assume at this weight and a polyester ball, a ball is a ball is a ball and we don't really need to consider anything beyond "I want a purple one" or "I like the one with the stars"?

2. Drilling - currenty she just pushes the ball down the lane and can't comfortably control the ball with one hand. Thoughts on just leaving it undrilled until she asks for holes? Maybe only drilling finger holes and introducing her to a thumb-out two handed style (which I have no experience with, ftw)? I just figure at this age she'll outgrow the drill before she's ready for a heavier ball.

chip82901
01-03-2017, 06:01 PM
I've worked with numerous kids from about that age all the way through high school. My big thing is, let them be comfortable. I'm a 2-hander myself and have been since I started bowling around that age. I just never felt comfortable throwing the ball with 1 hand, although I never did really "push" the ball down the lane. Basically, anything under 10lbs is going basically off color. They all pretty much have the same weight block inside of them. So, let her choose what color she wants, have her hand measured out (thumb hole included), and give her the option to choose what she wants to do. At least getting her fitted, she can go either way she wants to with it

J Anderson
01-03-2017, 06:08 PM
I'm a once-a-month-or-so recreational bowler, and my nearly-5 year old is the one who usually wants to go the lanes. The center keeps the 6 pound balls behind the desk, and occasionally they are all being used, or didn't get returned and you need to hunt through the house balls to find one. So I was thinking that the little lady might like to have her own ball to take to the alley.

Couple questions:
1. I assume at this weight and a polyester ball, a ball is a ball is a ball and we don't really need to consider anything beyond "I want a purple one" or "I like the one with the stars"?

2. Drilling - currenty she just pushes the ball down the lane and can't comfortably control the ball with one hand. Thoughts on just leaving it undrilled until she asks for holes? Maybe only drilling finger holes and introducing her to a thumb-out two handed style (which I have no experience with, ftw)? I just figure at this age she'll outgrow the drill before she's ready for a heavier ball.

Question 1. Correct. The bumper program run by our youth league actually has about a dozen 4 & 5 pound urethane balls, drilled for all four fingers and the thumb. I suspect they would be more expensive than a 6# polyester ball but it couldn't hurt to ask, if you think that the lighter weight might get her into a more conventional delivery sooner.

Question 2. I sort of like both your ideas. The USBC coaching seminars teach that the grip on children's bowling balls should be checked every two months.

By the way, one rule of thumb is that if you can comfortably hold a house ball of a given weight, you can go one pound heavier with one that is custom drilled for your hand.

LOUVIT
01-04-2017, 04:57 PM
Just a thought to try to get the child used to using one hand and to learn approach. I want to get something like this for my grandson. Also the kids coached leagues are great I went and watched once and some 10-12 year olds throw some really good balls.

http://www.ssww.com/item/bowling-set-with-pound-ball-W2668/?aid=GOG&cid=3294&oc=W3355&utm_campaign=pla&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_content=W2668&gclid=CJvRgaO9qdECFYg9gQodZNII2w

billf
01-05-2017, 04:19 PM
Depends on how small her hands are and strength level. Personally, I don't see too many 5 year olds with the strength to swing the ball without inviting injury or hands big enough to drill the fingers with the required 1/4" bridge between the fingers.
I imagine the pushing the ball now is probably a result of at least one of the above. So if it was me, I would wait to drill it. At this time letting her develop a love for the game and hopefully later the sport is far more important.