PDA

View Full Version : Is my span too long?

ccb99
01-04-2017, 07:17 PM
Hello everybody,
I recently purchased a new ball from a different pro shop. Since I am a youth (17) and still growing, the PSO re-measured my hand because my previous ball was drilled a couple years ago and the span was far too short. I love the way my ball rolls and reacts if I can actually get my thumb out of the thumb hole.

Although I have a limited knowledge of fitting, I believe that the span of this new ball is too long. I have seen on several different bowling websites that the front edges of the finger holes/finger inserts should start roughly 1/2 of the distance between the first and second finger joints. When I insert my thumb into the ball completely with my hand relaxed, the first joint of my fingers barely reach the edge of the finger inserts. If I stretch my hand, I can get the first joint of my fingers about halfway in between the edges of the finger inserts. I tried to take the ball back into the pro shop to talk to him about this, and he told me the span was correct because the first joint came halfway between the edges of the finger inserts. However, I cannot do this without stretching my hand. My first question is, with a correct bowling ball span, should you have to stretch your hand to reach the finger holes when your thumb is all the way in?

I am having problems releasing my thumb from the ball, and I believe this is due to the span. The only way for me to reliably get my thumb out of the ball is to put my thumb only half of the way in. It feels like when I am trying to release the ball, my thumb is getting stuck against the front of the hole, and I have to use a lot of Ultra Slide to remedy this. When the ball is on my hand, I don't think my thumb is in the ball straight, I think it is slightly bent which is causing it to get stuck. Could these problems be signs of an incorrect span?

TL;DR: With a correct bowling ball span, should you have to stretch your hand to reach the finger holes when your thumb is all the way in? I could try to add pictures if they would help.

bowl1820
01-04-2017, 08:13 PM
Although I have a limited knowledge of fitting, I believe that the span of this new ball is too long. I have seen on several different bowling websites that the front edges of the finger holes/finger inserts should start roughly 1/2 of the distance between the first and second finger joints.

Yes with your thumb inserted in the thumb hole and laying your fingers across the holes and your hand relaxed, the half way point between the first and second joint should be at the gripping edge of the hole. If your using inserts it's the gripping edge of the insert not the drilled hole.

http://s5.postimg.org/60yijdbyf/fit_Bowling_Ball_Parts.gif

See at the 17:45min. mark in the below video.

Just to double check,

With your fingers laying across the holes, hold the ball like your going to roll it. So that it settles into your hand, then without moving your hand.

Example:
http://s5.postimg.org/ac7neq07b/span_02.jpg

Rotate the ball back up so you can see where the edge of the holes are in relation to the midpoint between the two joints. (or get a picture form below like this one.)

When I insert my thumb into the ball completely with my hand relaxed, the first joint of my fingers barely reach the edge of the finger inserts. If I stretch my hand, I can get the first joint of my fingers about halfway in between the edges of the finger inserts.

The span is too long.

I tried to take the ball back into the pro shop to talk to him about this, and he told me the span was correct because the first joint came halfway between the edges of the finger inserts. However, I cannot do this without stretching my hand. My first question is, with a correct bowling ball span, should you have to stretch your hand to reach the finger holes when your thumb is all the way in?

If your having to stretch it's too long.

I am having problems releasing my thumb from the ball, and I believe this is due to the span. The only way for me to reliably get my thumb out of the ball is to put my thumb only half of the way in. It feels like when I am trying to release the ball, my thumb is getting stuck against the front of the hole, and I have to use a lot of Ultra Slide to remedy this. When the ball is on my hand, I don't think my thumb is in the ball straight, I think it is slightly bent which is causing it to get stuck. Could these problems be signs of an incorrect span?

If the span is off, then the linear pitch is probably wrong also.

TL;DR: With a correct bowling ball span, should you have to stretch your hand to reach the finger holes when your thumb is all the way in? I could try to add pictures if they would help.

Getting Fitted at a Bowling Ball Pro Shop USBC Academy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TY_-2mXCrXQ

billf
01-05-2017, 04:10 PM
Try the PSO again and if he refuses to double check the span or listen don't ever waste your time or money there again.
Unfortunately anybody can open a pro shop, pay dues to IBPSIA or BPAA without ever actually attending a training class. Even if they do attend fitting is a part art and some just can't seem to grasp what is takes to be an exceptional ball fitter.

Jconner91
01-05-2017, 05:08 PM
Maybe try a different PSO? I recently switched PSO after mine got new ownership and drilled a ball not to my liking. My new one watched me bowl, looked at the track lines, measured my two fingers and thumb, then drilled my ball. He noticed my span was way too long and suggested to shorten it almost a quarter inch. At first it was weird but now I love it. My thumb is more relaxed and I have more control.

fordman1
01-06-2017, 03:05 PM
Maybe it isn't you span that is too short it is your hand is too small. You know what that means don't you? You can become President??????

KYDave
01-06-2017, 05:21 PM
Sounds like you have a stretched span and not a relaxed span. Old school way of doing fitment was stretch as much as you can then a ton of reverse pitch. If he is one of the old school of thought the span probably is right in his mind.

YODA
01-07-2017, 01:26 AM
Yes with your thumb inserted in the thumb hole and laying your fingers across the holes and your hand relaxed, the half way point between the first and second joint should be at the gripping edge of the hole. If your using inserts it's the gripping edge of the insert not the drilled hole.

http://s5.postimg.org/60yijdbyf/fit_Bowling_Ball_Parts.gif

See at the 17:45min. mark in the below video.

Just to double check,

With your fingers laying across the holes, hold the ball like your going to roll it. So that it settles into your hand, then without moving your hand.

Example:
http://s5.postimg.org/ac7neq07b/span_02.jpg

Rotate the ball back up so you can see where the edge of the holes are in relation to the midpoint between the two joints. (or get a picture form below like this one.)

The span is too long.

If your having to stretch it's too long.

If the span is off, then the linear pitch is probably wrong also.

Getting Fitted at a Bowling Ball Pro Shop USBC Academy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TY_-2mXCrXQ

Hard to beat this post! Great info there :)

ccb99
01-09-2017, 06:52 PM
Thank you all very much for your input. Bowl1820, your post was extremely helpful. I went out to the lanes yesterday, and I used one of my old balls, which had a much more comfortable span. The thumb hole was way too big, so I put in a couple pieces of tape. I think that was the first time I could roll a ball without either a. having to squeeze to hang on, or b. worrying about the ball sticking to my thumb. A good fit really does make a huge difference. I think I'll go back to this pro shop and ask him to shorten the span of the new ball, and if he doesn't want to, I'll find a different shop. Again, thank you all for your valuable input.