PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever flown with their bowling equipment?

JasonNJ
01-09-2017, 12:23 AM
I'm going down to Orlando in a few weeks and I booked a training day at Kegel. Originally I was going to drive down all the way from NJ but I was able to book airfare on United for $900 for six people. Anyway, with airfare so cheap it was a no brainer to fly but I have the dilemma of bringing my bowling gear. I'm probably just going to take the top part of my 4 ball roller bag and bring 1 benchmark ball, 1 spare ball and my shoes. Does anyone have any tips on checking the bag in? Do I just check the tote in as is? Or should I box it up to check in?

fokai73
01-09-2017, 11:47 AM
I've traveled a lot with bowling balls and bag. I when I traveled state to state, non tournament trip, I carry-on my ball in a two ball tote. Or I check them in a two ball tote. I don't use my wheeler bags. My shoes and accessories are always checked in with another personal bag. Just so you know, some TSA check points will open your bowling ball if they don't know what a modern bowling ball looks like in the inside. Some will see if the ball can be opened somehow. I made a joke about a bowling I brought in as carry-on and told the guy the ball has no zippers. He poked and prodded the finger holes....

Tampabaybob
01-09-2017, 01:56 PM
Many plane trips to the Nationals over the years, and several broken zippers. There's almost no way to prevent damage from happening and it's usually to the bag. Good luck trying to get the airlines to pay for it. Watch your weight on the bags (you can buy a scale at Walmart) because they can charge you $75.00 for an overweight bag.

bowl1820
01-09-2017, 02:23 PM
One thing you can do is put a ball box in each compartment of your bag, then put your balls in with a few towels around them. This helps keep them more secure in the bag.

Also you can go to walmart, they have these cheap nylon straps in the camping stuff. Put one or two around the bag it helps in case a zipper gives way. You don't want balls rolling around the baggage compartment.

Always bring your shoes in your carry on, replacing a lost or damaged ball is easier than replacing a pair of broke in shoes.

Blacksox1
01-09-2017, 06:57 PM
Great tips so far. Find a triple ball bag, borrow or buy used. Follow what bowl said in using boxes and towels, carry on shoes due to possible condensation in the hold. Remember 50 pound limit on checked bags, or pay a fee. Tip extra $ when checking that heavy bag, even if not using the skycap. Have fun at kegel. :)

Blacksox1
01-09-2017, 07:01 PM
FYI- MCO Orlando airport WILL NOT allow you to carry on bowling balls. First hand experience.:(

foreverincamo
01-09-2017, 09:39 PM
I have read multiple times that TSA loves to open bowling bags. Never heard of anyone missing any equipment.

JasonNJ
01-09-2017, 11:04 PM
Thanks, these are very good tips. I have a small 2 ball tote so I'll check that one in and keep my shoes in the carry on. I'm looking forward to going to Kegel.

Aslan
01-09-2017, 11:21 PM
I have often been tempted to fly to Vegas rather than drive. And, I "believe" the 3-ball rollers are small enough and as long as the rest of the bag is empty...under the 50lb limit for checked bags (without a $75 surcharge per bag).

A 4-ball roller, you could probably ship them checked, separately (disconnect them) as two different bags under 50lbs each...but thats not really what the bag is designed for...so I imagine the damage to the bag could be a problem. You could limit it by packing the balls tightly inside the bag...so they don't move around.

A 6-ball roller you'd have to check each separately and pay for an additional checked bag.

The USBC Open recommends shipping the balls ahead of time. You can probably get a 4-ball box from you PSO...the same boxes they get from the suppliers....4 balls per box....and that's the most affordable option.

I know lots of people that took 1-ball and 2-ball bags as carry-on. Maybe things have changed with all the security or maybe it's just something that flights from So. California to Vegas are used to so they allow it. But...I've never done it...I live close enough to drive to Vegas. If I HAD to fly for bowling, I'd probably ship the balls ahead in a 4-ball box...which might cost as much as $125. You can also ship each ball separately for $25 USPS flat rate. Then, I'd have to probably pay extra for the roller bag...if I wanted to bring it. My carryon would need to be able to hold all my clothes or I'd need to pay for another checked bag.

I guess that's why there were so many motor homes at the PBA 50 even last summer.

1VegasBowler
01-10-2017, 02:03 AM
During the USBC Team USA Qualifiers this past week, I saw a lot of 3 ball bags and totes that were tagged by the airlines.

I never bothered to ask anybody how much it cost them, but I can only imagine how much money the airlines got.

Bad enough that the entry fee was $500, and for almost 300 bowlers in attendance you can imagine what some of these people paid. I saw a few people with 4 & 5 bags/totes.

I'm going to Reno in March, but I'm going to drive up there. Much cheaper than trying to fly up there! lol

baker
01-10-2017, 09:52 AM
I had a 3 ball bag destroyed last year in Reno. I took pictures and I was able to get the airline to cut a check for a replacement, but there is definitely a difference in the quality of certain bags. My vise 3 ball tote was much more heavy duty and was able to survive the trip no problem. One word of advice is to make sure to remove or tuck in any handles or straps.