PDA

View Full Version : Lane oil question for RobLV1 or bowl1820????

Hammer
01-16-2017, 11:09 PM
I bowl on a THS oil pattern of 42' in length. As far as oil goes are the first 20' oiled from gutter to gutter? Is the next 20' oiled slightly from boards 1 to 10 on both sides of the alley or no oil in these areas? Are the last 20' dry from boards 1 to 10 on both sides of the alley? I know the alleys are mostly oiled up the middle for about 42' on our alleys but I want to get straight with the oiling of boards 1 to 10 on both sides. When I bowled league Saturday night I accidently fell onto the alley and my hands went over the foul line with one hand landing between boards 1 to 10 and my other hand on board 20. There ,I found out, was oil on both spots. So what is the wet and dry of it on a THS pattern of 42'?

bowl1820
01-17-2017, 12:33 AM
I bowl on a THS oil pattern of 42' in length. As far as oil goes are the first 20' oiled from gutter to gutter? Is the next 20' oiled slightly from boards 1 to 10 on both sides of the alley or no oil in these areas? Are the last 20' dry from boards 1 to 10 on both sides of the alley?

Basically you have gutter to gutter oil the entire length of the pattern. By USBC rule oil must be distributed from edge board to edge board for the entire distance that oil is applied and there must be at least 3 units (3 units is like nothing) where ever oil is applied.

So your 42' pattern will have some amount of oil gutter to gutter.

past 42' the lane should be dry, no oil anywhere.

Now there will be varying amounts of oil in the different areas oil is applied. You'll have the most oil in the middle( usually 10to10) with it tapering off going toward the gutters (10 to 1). This is what the ratio (like a 10:1 ratio) is referring to, the amount of oil 10to10 vs 10to1.

Okay here's a example of 42' house pattern, on the left where ever you see blue is where there is oil:
https://s5.postimg.org/3vl1nz11j/42ftths.jpg

Take a look at this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0hl_ICksKM

RobLV1
01-17-2017, 04:56 AM
Great information! Let me add a couple of things. The one thing that is misleading in the video is that it shows the ball starting to hook at the end of the pattern, and that's really not what happens. On average, the ball continues to skid for about five feet past the end of the pattern before it has read enough friction to hook. This is how we teach the Junior Gold bowlers to read the length of an unknown pattern. We tell them to watch the bowler around them with the most rotation on the ball and see where the ball hooks. Once they do that, they subtract five feet, and they will have a pretty good idea of the length of the pattern so that they can apply the Rule of 31 to it.

Once you realize that the ball is actually hooking five feet past the end of the pattern, you can then figure out where the end of the pattern is. Once you know this, you can determine where the ball should be at that point, not where it is actually hooking. On Brunswick lanes with the dark tracer boards, the first tracer goes from 37 to 40 feet, while the far tracer goes from 43 to 46 feet. With this in mind, on your 41 foot THS, the pattern ends a foot past the first tracer, and the ball will begin the hook phase about a foot past the far tracer.

The fact that the USBC requires 3 units of oil from gutter to gutter helps to explain why you need to start the ball in the heavier oil, and keep it near the heavier oil clear to the end of the pattern. If you get into the very light oil (as 1820 said, 3 units is like nothing) too soon, the ball will already be burning up when it reaches the 19 feet of totally dry boards that are past the end of the pattern.

bowl1820
01-17-2017, 09:04 AM
On Brunswick lanes with the dark tracer boards, the first tracer goes from 37 to 40 feet, while the far tracer fgoes from 43 to 46 feet.

Correction: The closest 3 foot tracer board goes from 34' to 37' and the far tracer goes from 40' to 43' feet.

mishatx
01-17-2017, 11:18 AM
Is there any practical difference in "forward" and "reverse" oil?

bowl1820
01-17-2017, 11:57 AM
Is there any practical difference in "forward" and "reverse" oil?

Yes.

Forward Oil:
The forward oil creates the shape of the pattern and controls the breakpoint location.

Reverse Oil:
Reverse oil controls the amount of oil in the front part of the lane. The more reverse oil in relation to the forward oil, the longer the pattern will last and the smaller the transitions.

KYDave
01-17-2017, 12:19 PM
Do only the ProAnvil lanes have the tracers?

RobLV1
01-17-2017, 12:22 PM
Correction: The closest 3 foot tracer board goes from 34' to 37' and the far tracer goes from 40' to 43' feet.

You're right. I remembered that there are 3' increments and that 37' is involved, but got confused. Senior moment! LOL

bowl1820
01-17-2017, 12:35 PM
Do only the ProAnvil lanes have the tracers?

Yes, the down lane tracers are a Brunswick added feature.

KYDave
01-17-2017, 08:39 PM
Yes, the down lane tracers are a Brunswick added feature.

That's what I thought. I keep waiting to bowl somewhere that has them. I think it would help me line up better having a visual reference. As of now I have a hard time judging distance and believe this would help me learn breakpoint down lane in relation to the pins.
Hopefully Executive will put them in with the new lanes they are building now.

Hammer
01-17-2017, 09:18 PM
Thanks for clearing that up for me. I was using my urethane ball on league night Saturday and I had my slide foot on board 21 and was throwing between boards 5 and 10. As the oil was pushed down with each game I had to make lateral moves slightly left. I hear that push down oil is common for plastics and urethanes. If I tried to throw my reactive Raw Hammer Anger ball the same way I would be taking out the 10 pin. LOL! I am left handed by the way. Not all of us are rightys.

got_a_300
01-21-2017, 04:40 PM
I hear that push down oil is common for plastics and urethanes.

It must be true as week before last we had several bowlers using some old
original blue hammers and some other urethane balls and they killed our line
to the pocket with carry down.

StormTex
01-23-2017, 11:15 AM
Not to hijack but do the lanes on a THS like posted traditionally become drier as the night progresses or is the oil drawn down the lane and spread out?
Thanks

bowl1820
01-23-2017, 11:37 AM
Not to hijack but do the lanes on a THS like posted traditionally become drier as the night progresses or is the oil drawn down the lane and spread out?
Thanks

This is the carrydown vs depletion discussion.

For the most part lanes get drier as the night goes on, Because oil is being removed from the heads either by being absorbed or pushed down or both.

J Anderson
01-23-2017, 11:52 AM
Thanks

It really depends on the bowlers and the type of balls they are using. If the majority of bowlers on the pair are throwing polyester and urethane, oil will be pushed past the end of the pattern. If most of the bowlers are using reactive resin oil will be stripped from the lane, and the amount transferred to the backend will be negligible. If some of these bowlers are high rev players the transitions will occur faster. If most of the bowlers are playing very similar lines, this will also speed the transition but also make it more predictable.

StormTex
01-23-2017, 11:56 AM
Thanks so much!

fordman1
01-23-2017, 12:21 PM
Awe the old days you would start with slide foot on 25 and target 12. By the end of the 1st game you move in 3-4 boards with feet. Then by the end of that game you move back to 28-29. Fresh-push down-dry up.

RobLV1
01-23-2017, 02:23 PM
The carry down issue is one of the most controversial in bowling, largely because bowlers see the streaks of oil past the end of the pattern and equate their effect in terms of pre-modern bowling. To quote Joe Slowinski in his article entitled The Myth of Carrydown, which appeared in the October 2008 issue of Bowling This Month, " Unless you come to a bowling center after hours of open play or a birthday party, your change of ball motion is not a result of carry down." He goes on to say of a specific test that was run at Kegel, "...there was less than 2 units of oil past the end of the pattern... This is not enough oil to alter ball motion with today's covers."

For some reason, many, many long-time bowlers absolutely refuse to believe that when the ball starts to miss right, it is the result of too much loss of energy from early friction, not from carry down.