PDA

View Full Version : How much trash talking is present in your leagues.

Tony
01-25-2017, 12:28 PM
I bowl in a couple of leagues, both are handicap and both have a higher than average league average for this area.
In the wed night league there is a little trash talk, but not a great deal of it.
The fri morning league is another story, there are even more high avg bowlers in the league and it's smaller with 3 man teams and there is considerable good natured trash talk going on all the time, I don't mind it as it's pretty entertaining.

I've noticed it even softens up some of the super high strung guys who seem to easily get pissed off to get them involved in the talk.

How much trash talk goes on in your leagues and how is it viewed.

NewToBowling
01-25-2017, 01:15 PM
I raise a s**t storm if someone even thinks about moving or making a noise while I'm on the approach. And let there be hell if other people even think about bowling on any of the other 31 lanes when I am up.

baker
01-25-2017, 01:38 PM
Two different scratch leagues that I've bowled are both very different. I think size has a big impact on the amount of trash talking. One has 24 teams and has limited trash talking. With 24 teams you don't get to know everyone super well so you don't know how certain people will react.

The other is a 12 team league that has a ton of good natured trash talking. It makes the league a lot of fun and definitely does soften up some people who are typically high strung, just don't ever miss a 5 pin.

LOUVIT
01-25-2017, 02:18 PM
Trash talk in my day was handled with action or pot games after the league. I used to bowl action in many neighborhood houses, that was back in the wood and plastic era when a 185+ average was a good bowler. I think in the old PBA 190 for 2 years qualified you for pro.

fordman1
01-25-2017, 02:39 PM
As long as you don't really mean it you can say anything. Don't be a PDW unless you smile when you get back to the table or your little turd *** might get flushed down the toilet.

foreverincamo
01-25-2017, 03:58 PM
Tons of trash talk in my league. From my teammates and other teams. Nothing terrible but it's constant. I don't mind it. I won't start it but I'll sling it back when it's called for

collinwho
01-25-2017, 03:58 PM
It varies depending on which team we are bowling against. My team is full of talkers, but who we are talking too and about can vary quite a bit. One week, against a team that we don't know as well, we will spend most of our time trash talking each other. The next week, against a team that we are pretty good buddies with, we will be trash talking them. The talk never stops, we just make sure that we are always trying to direct it towards people who appreciate being a part of it.

Tony
01-25-2017, 05:48 PM
As long as you don't really mean it you can say anything. Don't be a PDW unless you smile when you get back to the table or your little turd *** might get flushed down the toilet.

Peter David Weber or Pi ss Drinking Whore ?

No matter, it's all in fun, and you can mean it, as long as you act like you don't !

I generally play off someone else's comment or refer to something besides bowling skill related items, I'm not a good enough bowler to go there very often.....

I once threw off a much higher average bowler and beat him all 4 games when he inquired / touched my ball and I accused him of putting a chip in it and curse on it....nicely of course...the way it worked he was laughing so hard he couldn't bowl and every time he looked over at me it started again.

mc_runner
01-25-2017, 06:02 PM
Most of the time it's good natured, and a decent amount in my competitive league. Next to none in mixed.

I say most is good natured, the exception being last night when the other team's captain (big, hulking guy) didn't want to start OR blind his absent bowlers, instead saying "we're all going to wait"... to which our captain said no, blind them and we can unblind when they get here - they have 4 frames to come. The other guy got loud and heated and started talking about fighting (literally, like outside). Worth it to note that about 15 years ago the same guy apparently got kicked out of the league for starting a fight. Some people never get past age 12 mentally I guess. It was just really odd, situation was defused pretty quickly and the night went fine but yeesh.

J Anderson
01-26-2017, 10:04 AM
I raise a s**t storm if someone even thinks about moving or making a noise while I'm on the approach. And let there be hell if other people even think about bowling on any of the other 31 lanes when I am up.

I assume this is all tongue-in-cheek because this is not what I think of as "trash talking". Insisting on complete silence and 31 lane courtesy is just plain ridiculous.

NewToBowling
01-26-2017, 10:55 AM
I assume this is all tongue-in-cheek because this is not what I think of as "trash talking". Insisting on complete silence and 31 lane courtesy is just plain ridiculous.

I never joke about 31 lane courtesy :)

Tony
01-26-2017, 12:21 PM

Mike is that you ? Oh wait that house has 42 lanes, never mind.....

LOUVIT
01-26-2017, 12:26 PM
I never joke about 31 lane courtesy :)

He needs the 31 free lanes to run out strikes....lol... Have you ever run out a shot and get back and see the 10 pin standing that you couldn't see while running....Yea I did.....lol

fokai73
01-26-2017, 01:04 PM
Trash talk is no longer a norm where I bowl. I bowl in a very large bowling community that expands many cities. Everyone knows each other. But, there are other bowling "communities" on the other side of the fence that I know of who have friendly trash talks which was enjoyable to be around.

The guys I bowled with decades ago as a youth, when I visit my childhood home, we have some serious trash talks and side action. Though I'm an OG local guy, I'm a "mainlander" lol. I get teased about being a "House bowler", a bowler who bowls on wall shots. It's very sad but true. The house I did my youth bowling, they don't believe in house shots like here. They think it's a waste of time for serious bowlers. Till know, I get teased on FB for bowling a house shot. lol.......

Then there's a bunch of local Asians with serious Side action with hundreds of dollars played. I've heard stories of trash talking gone wild. lol Guys getting hunted down or beat down when money isn't owed.

chrono00
01-26-2017, 11:18 PM
Most of the time it's good natured, and a decent amount in my competitive league. Next to none in mixed.

I say most is good natured, the exception being last night when the other team's captain (big, hulking guy) didn't want to start OR blind his absent bowlers, instead saying "we're all going to wait"... to which our captain said no, blind them and we can unblind when they get here - they have 4 frames to come. The other guy got loud and heated and started talking about fighting (literally, like outside). Worth it to note that about 15 years ago the same guy apparently got kicked out of the league for starting a fight. Some people never get past age 12 mentally I guess. It was just really odd, situation was defused pretty quickly and the night went fine but yeesh.

So did u start with blinding the guy? And did he show on time? Lol

mc_runner
01-27-2017, 09:01 AM
Yes, the league secretary came by and offered to "help" with blinding. One of their late guys showed up 10 min later (which was fine, caught up the frame) and the other never showed.

Frankly to me it just sounded like the captain didn't like to be challenged/disagreed with.

fordman1
01-27-2017, 10:57 AM
So did u start with blinding the guy? And did he show on time? Lol

Use skip bowler until the frame noted in the bylaws says the bowler is absent. Then change it to absent. Any descent scoring system should do this. If they show up before the frame noted they are allowed to catch up. You should never use a time limit, like 10-15 minutes. Use number of frames and don't allow the team with late bowlers to stall.

Timmyb
01-27-2017, 05:52 PM
The league I'm in is LOADED with trash talk, and all of it is done in good nature. Hell, we ride each other on my own team worse than the rest of the league!

JerseyJim
02-01-2017, 08:51 PM
After a bunch of years playing various sports, I've heard it all. We had one guy just busting on everyone last night. Actually some of it was pretty good. I should had been taking notes. Nobody had their feelings hurt.

hotdog`966
02-20-2017, 11:57 PM
we have had fights over lane courtesy

got_a_300
02-21-2017, 10:06 PM
Years ago we used to have a bunch of trash talking in all of the leagues
but not so much now days as everyone has gotten older and wiser I guess
but we still have just a little bit going on in the money league but nothing
like it used to be.