PDA

View Full Version : Why did my scores drop?

xnavydoc
01-25-2017, 07:35 PM
Hello to All,
I am 67 years old, and have been bowling since I was 10 years old.
Last month I came down with "Pneumococcal " Pneumonia ".
Since it isn't "Real" contagious, I still bowled in all three of my weekly leagues. As an added precaution, I didn't "High Five", just did the "Fist Bump". Anyway, during that time, I bowled at least two 600 or better series each week, for about 6 weeks. I'm feeling better now, (completely "Cured) and barely making low 500 series. I can't figure out why this is happening. Any ideas?
Thanks

RobLV1
01-25-2017, 08:05 PM
Probably for the same reason that I bowled today, healthy for the first time in three months, and shot my high four game series of the last five years... No Rhyme or Reason! LOL

bowl1820
01-25-2017, 08:29 PM
I believe it's partially do to how it affects your concentration and how your mind perceives the changes in your body, from how it felt before vs now.

A example (while it may sound silly, it happens) is having to go to the bathroom during bowling.

A player is bowling good, but as they play they feel the pressure building. Their mind focus's on that, first chance they get they hit the restroom.

When they come back, their feeling light and fired up etc. They fire the ball down the lane and start leaves tens or whatever. And it might take a few frames to settle back down.

Being sick vs well is about the same thing, it changes how you've gotten use to how your body felt bowling in one condition vs the other.

Blacksox1
01-25-2017, 10:11 PM
All the extra energy has led to, too much hand, wrist and speed. :)

fordman1
01-26-2017, 10:14 AM
Since your profile is incomplete we don't know where you live. It might be the weather, we all know how it affects the lanes. Just ask your lane man. All kidding aside it could be that when you were ill you speed was down a little and it helped you.

Many a time I have went to bowl and knew I would kill them because I felt great. Not tired or no aches and pains etc. bowled like you know what. Other times I felt sick or had a sore what ever and ended up bowling great. Makes no sense some times.

J Anderson
01-26-2017, 10:24 AM
Hello to All,
I am 67 years old, and have been bowling since I was 10 years old.
Last month I came down with "Pneumococcal " Pneumonia ".
Since it isn't "Real" contagious, I still bowled in all three of my weekly leagues. As an added precaution, I didn't "High Five", just did the "Fist Bump". Anyway, during that time, I bowled at least two 600 or better series each week, for about 6 weeks. I'm feeling better now, (completely "Cured) and barely making low 500 series. I can't figure out why this is happening. Any ideas?
Thanks

What I have seen is that bowlers who aren't feeling well, whether they're bowling with a strained back or undiagnosed acute appendicitis, often times bowl better. Because of the issue they're dealing with they stop trying to throw harder, or give it more revs, or otherwise help the ball, and just relax. They may also be playing more deliberately, especially the guys with bad backs, since they can't just rush up and throw it.

LOUVIT
01-26-2017, 12:37 PM
How do you shoot before being sick? Are the 600's normal or are the 500's normal. If the 600's are above your normal, it can very well be because you were sick and was just there and not having the strength or overtrying..There's times I go and just want to throw the ball and not think and relax, and I shoot great.

JasonNJ
01-27-2017, 12:42 AM
I think it's relaxed mind which probably freed up your arm swing and helped your timing. Being sick your mind was pre-occupied and you were probably just happy bowling. Now being healthy, you're probably over analyzing and just need to relax and bowl.

Jarhead88
01-29-2017, 06:37 PM
In golf Sam Snead, a famous legendary golfer, said he would never play a money match against someone that was sick... his reason was that their mind is cloudy and they don't overthink things, they are slower more relaxed and don't make jerky motions.. usually...
I have fond that to be true sometimes when I played sick.. so that might have been it, like someone said earlier in a post. you were slower and relaxed, not trying to rev it up and throw hard....
possibly.