PDA

View Full Version : Selling a ball....

NewToBowling
01-26-2017, 09:48 AM
So I'm selling my Unhinged locally. Just don't use it much. It's been drilled already

I get an interested customer. Meets me up at the alley. Silly of me to think he knows that he will have to redrill it.

He proceeds to check the fit and obviously doesn't fit him. Fingers are too tight (yes, they are called inserts and for $10 you can get brand spanking new ones that fit your fingers)

Yes, you will need to redrill a new thumb hole and new span also. It's a strike ball, not house.

He says he hasn't bowled in 25 years but at this point I'm assuming bowled recreationally, not in a league as he expects to ball to fit like a house ball where the holes are all oversized.

Rant over...

YODA
01-26-2017, 07:06 PM
I have honestly found it hard to sell drilled "used" balls. It may just be me but I usually end up giving my older balls away or sell them really cheap. Thats why nowadays if I buy a ball I know I am going to use it for awhile :)

KYDave
01-26-2017, 08:05 PM
Lol I can only imagine the look you gave him.

There is a guy that comes to my shop that looks like it is drilled like a house ball. 1-5/16 thumb and I think the biggest 2 inserts Vise sells. Someone at his league thought his IT fell out haha.

Curious tho, how much were you selling it for?

Goose
01-27-2017, 09:13 AM
Note to Self: Don't try selling my used bowling balls. Donate them to the Alley or make a lamp out of it for the Man Cave.

I already donated one ball that was given to me. The color scheme on it didn't match the Cave.

NewToBowling
01-27-2017, 09:59 AM
Lol I can only imagine the look you gave him.

There is a guy that comes to my shop that looks like it is drilled like a house ball. 1-5/16 thumb and I think the biggest 2 inserts Vise sells. Someone at his league thought his IT fell out haha.

Curious tho, how much were you selling it for?

$50. And yeah not much value. Just throwing it out there. Honestly if I were a new bowler I would just get a Cyclone or Tropical Breeze drilled for $120 or so. But the Unhinged is a small step up.

Stormed1
01-27-2017, 10:25 AM
I sell a lot of my "old" stuff on ebay

fordman1
01-27-2017, 10:51 AM
Many times I have given balls to people in my leagues that are throwing something obviously wrong. If I have something that might help them I will give it to them. Especially new bowlers. It might make the difference between them getting discussed and quitting and becoming a life time bowler. If it is a brand new ball only used a few times and nothing but finger inserts are needed maybe $50 would be fair. Older balls that need drilling give them away or dump them.

drlawsoniii
01-27-2017, 11:51 AM
Honestly anything that has 30+ games on it no matter the original cost i dont think is worth more that 25 dollars. if you factor in the cost of plugging and redrilling it's just not worth it. Especially with the PSO's in Ohio they'll charge up to 60 dollars just to drill a ball that they didnt sell you, more if they have to plug it. May as well buy a new ball.

KYDave
01-27-2017, 04:06 PM
Honestly anything that has 30+ games on it no matter the original cost i dont think is worth more that 25 dollars. if you factor in the cost of plugging and redrilling it's just not worth it. Especially with the PSO's in Ohio they'll charge up to 60 dollars just to drill a ball that they didnt sell you, more if they have to plug it. May as well buy a new ball.

Wow I'm coming to Ohio lol. Around here the going price is $50 for drill, $10 for inserts, $15 for thumb slug. S0 $75 for everything. If you want an IT that jumps up in price. And that is if you bought it from them. Most of the shops include some of that $75 in the ball price marked.
For instance, that Motiv I bought from a shop around here would have been ~$240.

NewToBowling
01-27-2017, 06:46 PM
My local PSO charges $50 and that includes thumb slug and finger inserts. Not too bad

ep1977
01-28-2017, 08:48 AM
I sold 6 used balls on FB in the last 2 months. Fast smooth transactions.

YODA
01-28-2017, 01:37 PM
My local PSO charges $50 and that includes thumb slug and finger inserts. Not too bad

Yeah mine charges $50 also with inserts so like you said its not too bad. Although some shops I have been too are around $75