PDA

View Full Version : What thumb protection tape to buy

JerseyJim
01-27-2017, 04:36 PM
I've been having problems with the thumb with one of my balls. As a result, my thumb started to swell and formed a callus with a blister underneath it. I worked out the thumb hole to the point where it's not going to rip the skin off my thumb. I'm looking to buy protection tape, and I'm looking for recommendations.

1VegasBowler
01-27-2017, 04:41 PM
Vise NT 50Y. The Wes Malott tape.

I had bad cracking, some bleeding and calluses on 3 fingers. Since using this tape my fingers have healed very nicely and I will always use it.

KYDave
01-27-2017, 05:36 PM
No experience with the NT tape. But I can offer this.

The Vise hada patch is decent. It comes off clean with no residue. I use the blue and it is slick and works well protecting my thumb. Downside is no matter how I put it on it seems to either roll up on the edges or somehow gets a wrinkle it in then will start peeling off.

What I use now is the Turbo tape blue roll. It is equally as slick and offers the same protection. But it is much more sticky. I can tape up and never have to try and adjust or replace. Downside is it leaves a fair amount of residue behind. I'll take that over having to fuss with or replace during play.

I also have a roll of the bowlingball.com purple tape. Picked it up while on sale but have not used it yet.

djp1080
01-27-2017, 05:53 PM
I've been having problems with the thumb with one of my balls. As a result, my thumb started to swell and formed a callus with a blister underneath it. I worked out the thumb hole to the point where it's not going to rip the skin off my thumb. I'm looking to buy protection tape, and I'm looking for recommendations.
The Vise NT50 tape is good stuff. It's 2 inches wide and meant for the fingers, but it could work okay IMO. I've used Vise HADA protection tape and it comes in a variety of colors. Each color has a bit different texture and can affect the speed of your thumb release. The pre-cut HADA tape tends to be easy to use, but I ventured out and bought the roll. You can save a little money and cut it to the length you need and make the cuts to suit yourself. I've had good luck with both the Vise HADA tape and the Storm protection tape in the roll form. I've used the Vise NT50 for fingers, but have had good luck with the Turbo black two inch wide tape as well. The NT50 stretches as the Turbo black tape does not.

chip82901
02-02-2017, 12:54 PM
I've used the Vise BioSkin before. Super thin, hardly notice it, and it's smooth. I tend to get cracks in my fingers due to over use of rosen during tournament season, and this tape does wonders. One note though, do NOT try to super glue it down, as something with the glue of the tape and super glue creates a very strong chemical reaction and will burn the hell out of your fingers (learned that the hard way)