PDA

View Full Version : Bowling Shoes questions

Jarhead88
01-29-2017, 05:46 PM
I got back into bowling this past year and bought a basic/cheap pair of shoes, strikeforce. As I'm bowling a lot more and getting better does it really make a difference? I just realized there are Right and left handed shoes. interchangeable sliding pads.... and I'm sure more options.

I assume the better shoes are more comfortable and better made. but does it really make a difference?

What will having a right handed pair of shoes do for me?

thanks

djp1080
01-29-2017, 07:51 PM
There are plenty of shoes to choose from. Getting a pair with interchangeable soles and heels is for those folks who like to tweak their slide distance. If you get a right handed pair of shoes, the left foot will have a nice slick sole on it. The right foot shoe will have a rubber bottom on it which allows for no slide. This will let you get a good push away from the beginning.
Hope this helps...

foreverincamo
01-29-2017, 09:29 PM
If you go to multiple houses to bowl, it allows you to adjust your shoes to get your desired slide. Some approaches are tacky, some slicker than greased linoleum.

fokai73
01-29-2017, 09:43 PM
I have a friend who doesn't slide, he plants his foot. So he bought some "tennis shoes" with white soles so to not mark the approach. It works great for him.

I on the other hand, I am very particular with my slide. Too long or too short I don't get the right leverage. And when I bowled travel leagues, it was great to have the ability to change soles. I also cut my slide soles in half and interchange the pieces to further tweak my slide. I have pairs of sst 8's.

I traded soles with other bowlers who don't use the 8 and 10 soles. This is another advantage too, saved me money on getting replacements.

Jarhead88
01-30-2017, 03:02 PM
great info thanks.

KYDave
01-30-2017, 06:34 PM
Also, if you happen to bowl somewhere that the approaches are gunked up and it gets on your slide, you can simply replace the slide if you can't get it clean.

Besides all that, I can tell you there is a huge difference in support and comfort with $50 shoes and $100+ shoes.

fokai73
01-30-2017, 07:09 PM
if you need a shoe brush... go to walmart in the paint section, less than a buck lol. It's smaller and fits in nicely in a small plastic container which is also less than a buck at the fishing dept.

some of these bowling items are over priced. Save yourself $5 to $7 dollars....

Tony
01-31-2017, 12:22 AM
I got back into bowling this past year and bought a basic/cheap pair of shoes, strikeforce. As I'm bowling a lot more and getting better does it really make a difference? I just realized there are Right and left handed shoes. interchangeable sliding pads.... and I'm sure more options.

I assume the better shoes are more comfortable and better made. but does it really make a difference?

What will having a right handed pair of shoes do for me?

thanks

With the starting level of right handed shoes you will get a slide sole on the left shoe and a grip sole on the right. The left may have several different soles so you can choose what works for you.
the right shoe will be a fixed rubber / grip sole. To simulate how this might work for you wear your current left bowling shoe and a regular tennis shoe on the right foot ( some guys do this permanently )
Give it a try before you invest in shoes to see if this suits your game, I tend to drag my right foot a little and having a grip sole just trips me , I've know a few others who have run into this issue. This will let you know that you will need the shoes with changeable soles on both shoes ( or continue to use universal shoes) instead of just the left.

JasonNJ
01-31-2017, 01:19 AM
I bowled in my first league last year and I had cheaper pair of shoes that were always fine for me then one night it rained all day and the alley was a sauna. I could not slide at all, right then and there I decided to buy nicer shoes with interchangeable soles and I love them. One of the best bowling purchases I ever made and I never stick now.

NewToBowling
01-31-2017, 09:33 AM
I have the opposite experience. Been bowling with cheap bowling shoes ($30 Dexter Turbos) and no issues. Of course I only bowl at one center exclusively but have used it a 3-4 other local centers and still no issues.

Purchased a higher end shoe with replaceable soles/heels. Could just not get the right amount of slide. I purchased basically all the soles/heels available and still couldn't get right fit. So now it's just sitting in my closet. I may just have to get used to it. Wont' try it during league season so I'll wait until summer and just use it more and see if I can get used to new shoe.

KYDave
01-31-2017, 04:18 PM
I have the opposite experience. Been bowling with cheap bowling shoes ($30 Dexter Turbos) and no issues. Of course I only bowl at one center exclusively but have used it a 3-4 other local centers and still no issues.

Purchased a higher end shoe with replaceable soles/heels. Could just not get the right amount of slide. I purchased basically all the soles/heels available and still couldn't get right fit. So now it's just sitting in my closet. I may just have to get used to it. Wont' try it during league season so I'll wait until summer and just use it more and see if I can get used to new shoe.

How long did you use them? It takes a while for the slide to break in, especially compared to something you have bowled with a long time (provided they are clean and in decent shape).

djp1080
01-31-2017, 05:22 PM

I bought an inexpensive pair of Brunswick shoes and they worked okay, but I didn't care much for the slickness of the right shoe as I'm a right-handed bowler. I'm a bit older now and not every joint is working like it did when I was a youngster. So I thought that a shoe with the ability of a little more slide might save my knees a bit.
Looked at many of the better bowlers and talked to the PSO which lead me to Dexter shoes. Heard about people complaining about break-in time of various models. I decided on the Tank. Nice pair of shoes IMO. Virtually no break-in time.
What came on the slide shoe was practically what the old Brunswick shoes provided for slide. I've played around with the heels and soles that came with the shoes. Ended up with a S10 sole and H5 heel combo. I didn't notice any break-in time needed between changing soles or heels. Was not too happy that I had to cut the extra sole I bought to fit the shoe, but no big deal. I think if I get one of the H6 heels that I may take it to a cobbler to help me with it though. :)
Why did you purchase higher end shoes? Did your PSO help you with them?