PDA

View Full Version : USBC dues will go up next season

fordman1
01-30-2017, 04:15 PM
When you pay your Certification next season 2017/18 it will cost you $3 more. I was waiting for someone to bring this up on here but no one did.

Your local could go up also ours is going up $2 so I will have to pay $5 more next year. Wait until the members hear about it you would have thought the world was ending for some.

Have you heard and what do you think?

NewToBowling
01-30-2017, 04:53 PM
At the end of the day I'm not going to sweat about it but I do have to ask why it's going up. Is is just natural progression of inflation and everything else costing more or are we bowlers getting anything in return (doubtful).

fordman1
01-30-2017, 05:40 PM
On the paper I have here it says it has not gone up since 2013 and only $1 since 2005. I am not sure if that is local or national. Will have to reread the whole thing. Hope this helps.
I is effective Aug. 1st 2017

ep1977
01-30-2017, 08:32 PM
Around here every season more leagues are voting to not be sanctioned. Unless the league has a lot of tournament bowlers the bowlers don't see a reason to sanction.

J Anderson
01-30-2017, 09:02 PM
When you pay your Certification next season 2017/18 it will cost you $3 more. I was waiting for someone to bring this up on here but no one did.

Your local could go up also ours is going up $2 so I will have to pay $5 more next year. Wait until the members hear about it you would have thought the world was ending for some.

Have you heard and what do you think?

First I've heard of it, but then the league secretary is usually the only one in contact with the manager of the local assocation.

1VegasBowler
01-30-2017, 10:13 PM
Those who participate in tournaments need to have the USBC league sanctioning so that they don't have to bowl scratch in a sanctioned tournament, and if they are not part of the state association where they are participating in a tournament, they still have to pay the dues for that state before they can participate.

If an individual wants to participate in any PBA event, they must also be a member in good standing with the USBC and have a verifiable average for proof.

A league that is sanctioned by the USBC is also bonded, whereas if a league officer who is handling money by going to the bank and gets robbed or if that person decides to up and run away with the money, they league will get half of the money back.

While the robbery, or the officer stealing the money is not very common, it has happened.

For those who are looking for personal, a league that is not sanctioned will not get any USBC recognition where it concerns the 300 Ring, 900 Ring, etc.

I'm not saying whether I agree or disagree with the fees. I'm just pointing out some of the ramifications for not being a member of the USBC.

NewToBowling
01-31-2017, 09:37 AM
Those who participate in tournaments need to have the USBC league sanctioning so that they don't have to bowl scratch in a sanctioned tournament, and if they are not part of the state association where they are participating in a tournament, they still have to pay the dues for that state before they can participate.

If an individual wants to participate in any PBA event, they must also be a member in good standing with the USBC and have a verifiable average for proof.

A league that is sanctioned by the USBC is also bonded, whereas if a league officer who is handling money by going to the bank and gets robbed or if that person decides to up and run away with the money, they league will get half of the money back.

While the robbery, or the officer stealing the money is not very common, it has happened.

For those who are looking for personal, a league that is not sanctioned will not get any USBC recognition where it concerns the 300 Ring, 900 Ring, etc.

I'm not saying whether I agree or disagree with the fees. I'm just pointing out some of the ramifications for not being a member of the USBC.

The only advantage of sanctioned league is your last point (recognition for achievements).

Most people will never participate in PBA event and many won't bowl in tournaments either.

As far as someone stealing the money, the non-sanctioned leagues at my alley don't even have President/Secretary. They just hand the envelope to front desk.

But the bowling conditions/environment are exactly the same.

fordman1
01-31-2017, 11:16 AM
Three dollars for nation fees to "CERTIFY" is a very small amount.

The amount they bond unless recently changed is a max of $10,000. So if I get the league money from the bank on the way to the banquet and get robbed the league is out 50K we will have over 60 thousand in the prize fund.

Any bowler who has never bowled a 300-800 or even a 900 will not get anything.

Most of the decent I have heard is from the bowlers who have already gotten their rings. They don't seem to remember the bowlers who paid all those years to pay for their rings and didn't gripe.

mc_runner
01-31-2017, 11:30 AM
I can already hear the whining from people. Even if it only comes out to... 10 cents a week if you bowl in ONE league.

J Anderson
01-31-2017, 12:04 PM
I think many of the problems with the USBC, going back to the ABC, are caused by the fact they do a lousy job of communicating the value they return to the sport. The decision to certify or not hinges on whether the bowlers who like to bowl in tournaments outnumber the cheapskates who feel that the cost of paying dues far exceeds the value of being certified.

The other problem is that few people get involved in their local association so it winds up being the same people running things for years. Those who do all the work get burned out and the ones who go to the meetings and say "yeah that's a great idea" either never actually volunteer to help do anything or they aren't held accountable for getting anything done if they do volunteer.

mc_runner
01-31-2017, 02:15 PM
That is absolutely true. I currently bowl in an uncertified league and they decided to go off mainly because the majority of bowlers felt that the only benefit USBC provided to them was the little patches and trinkets for high games. No one knows (or cares) about the bonding, tournaments, etc in there, so for them it wasn't worth the money. For me, this will be my last year in that league.

manke
01-31-2017, 03:17 PM
I don't understand the big deal its only a couple bucks!

fordman1
02-02-2017, 02:21 PM
I figured I would add this before it faded away.

First things first. I have not bowled in a sanctioned league in about 15 years.
I have bowled in a couple of CERTIFIED leagues every season in the last 15 years though.

Not certifying will hurt H\C league bowlers more than scratch bowlers because there will be no data base to verify averages.

There will be no way of catching those pesky SANDBAGGERS everyone is always complaining about.

How about no way of knowing who has been banned (blackballed) because the are a thief who has stolen league money or dead beat who doesn't pay dues.

All those tournament bowlers will never know if they are really bowling against a honest or dishonest bowler.

All your friends who have never gotten an honor score ring will never get one now.

There will not be any place a bowler with exceptional skill and ability will be recognized. No hall of fame etc.

So go ahead and save your money and some day you may be visited by the bowling devil and have your balls forfeited.

NewToBowling
02-02-2017, 02:50 PM
I figured I would add this before it faded away.

First things first. I have not bowled in a sanctioned league in about 15 years.
I have bowled in a couple of CERTIFIED leagues every season in the last 15 years though.

Not certifying will hurt H\C league bowlers more than scratch bowlers because there will be no data base to verify averages.

There will be no way of catching those pesky SANDBAGGERS everyone is always complaining about.

How about no way of knowing who has been banned (blackballed) because the are a thief who has stolen league money or dead beat who doesn't pay dues.

All those tournament bowlers will never know if they are really bowling against a honest or dishonest bowler.

All your friends who have never gotten an honor score ring will never get one now.

There will not be any place a bowler with exceptional skill and ability will be recognized. No hall of fame etc.

So go ahead and save your money and some day you may be visited by the bowling devil and have your balls forfeited.

To be honest majority of league bowlers don't care one bit about these. Only people on these message boards are vocal. The majority use league bowling as a night out to relax and have fun.

fordman1
02-02-2017, 03:06 PM
Read some of the fights about H\C and sandbagging. Wait until some guy comes into your fun league and says he is a 175 bowler and shoots 750 the first few weeks. Everyones shoes will be wet from all the crying.

NewToBowling
02-02-2017, 04:06 PM
Meh, it's a fun league with little money. No skin off my back. Message boards are the vocal minority. Overall sandbagging is exaggerated and really only exist in high end top heavy money leagues. Anyone sandbagging a fun "$40 winner" league has more issues than I care to worry about.

got_a_300
02-03-2017, 12:07 PM
I know one thing I will probably never bowl in another
un-sanctioned league because last time I did bowl in
one of them a lot of the people never paid their league
fees.

They would either not show up for several weeks or just
up and quit and not pay anything for missing nights or for
their last two weeks

Well we won first place but since they never paid their
fees and they had to take just about all the prize fund
each week to pay the linage so we got screwed and didn't
get anything but a little old dollar plaque a piece with each
of our names on it instead of the money we were promised.