PDA

View Full Version : Ball advice

mishatx
02-01-2017, 06:04 PM
(for me this time)

As I started getting back into the game (if you can call a game or two a month "back" or "into") I decided to modernize my equipment and left my inherited 50 year old ball in the closet and picked up a used Zone Blast at the local Play It Again, so I knocked about 40 years off the age of the ball I'm using.
Now I can appreciate the difference between the two balls quite well, and for the pittance I paid I'm relatively happy with the purchase. But the span on this thing is huge - I can hold it ok but it's a good half inch too wide and can be painful after a few games. (Or frames, even). I inquired with the local PSO about some options and it looks like I've got:

$20 - move the thumb. But there's a balance hole on this thing, too, and what with PAPs and whatnot it seems like maybe I should consider...

$60 - used ball package. Full plug and redrill, plus a resurface and rejuv. Very tempting, from a price point, but then it seems like ...

about $130 - get a brand new entry-level ball, with drilling.

Will I get better bang for my buck by just going for the brand new ball option? Or since I bowl so infrequently, should I wait out the big purchase and just do the $60 option?

chip82901
02-01-2017, 06:25 PM
For fitting purposes, its best to have your PSO find your PAP, properly measure your hand, and drill it for YOU. There is numerous amounts of issues that can come from not having a proper fitting ball. For instance, I've seen guys have HUGE knots on the side of their thumb from it being off. Or even worse, develop carpel-tunnel in their wrists from the span being too long/short. Either have the ball plugged and drilled, or get an entry level ball that is fitted for you. You'll notice a big difference, and it might just get you down to the lanes a bit more

KYDave
02-01-2017, 06:42 PM
If you are happy with it, I would just move the thumb for now since it is so cheap. Then later on just pick up another ball if you are still interested.
That way you would have the option of 2 different balls to throw as well.

Stormed1
02-02-2017, 01:28 AM
Personally I would plug the thumb and get refit.After throwing the ball for a couple weeks with the new fit your PSO should be able to determine your actual PAP. At that point you should have a much better idea of how this ball fits your game and if you need something different

Blacksox1
02-02-2017, 02:19 AM
I agree with chip.

My one ball suggestion is the Roto Grip Wreck-it. New release and $94.99 on bowlingball.com. Your PSO would add in his drilling cost to this. Should hit your price point. A new ball also has a warranty and probably will build goodwill with the PSO. Winning the ball give away is another solution.

Good luck !

manke
02-02-2017, 09:50 AM
I would get the used ball package that way you have a ball that is drilled for you. This way you can figure out hoe to bowl with it and get a new ball this summer so you can practice before next year.

bowl1820
02-02-2017, 10:04 AM
Since your just coming back, plugging and redrilling the used ball. Would be a good way to get your grip sorted out and fine tuned over the summer. Plus it would give you time to get back up to speed with your bowling.

That way you then could get a new ball just before the start of next winter season. With your grip feeling real good and have the used ball as a spare/2nd condition ball.

chip82901
02-02-2017, 12:48 PM
I actually won a Phaze II off of here a few months back. Would have never thought about purchasing the ball as I thought it was going to be too aggressive for what I normally use, but it's a go to these days

mishatx
02-05-2017, 05:20 PM
Thanks everyone. Leaning towards just moving the thumb for now, getting comfortable with my delivery and then having a true measure and redrill, maybe on a new ball, in the future.
But I'll probably ask the PSO his opinion, too, and I might be distracted by the shiny new balls on the shelves.

mishatx
03-22-2017, 09:47 PM
Dropped it off to have the thumb moved today. Span was an entire inch too long!
The new thumb hole will also fit properly, too, which means it'll probably feel tight. It'll be interesting to see if I can resist running right back in for a bigger redrill.

KYDave
03-22-2017, 10:31 PM
Good grief I don't know how you bowled at all!

I like my thumb not tight, but where I can feel it in the insert. I also use turbo tape on my thumb and there is no friction at all. Too loose and I have to grip it too much. Too tight and I can't get out quick enough. It will take some tinkering to get it just right for you. All of it is going to feel strange now tho with a span that was that stretched. Give it some time for your hand to adjust.

Sounds like you are on the right track!

mishatx
03-23-2017, 02:54 AM
Good grief I don't know how you bowled at all!

I guess I'm flexible enough to make it work :). Really, since I mostly bowl with my daughter, and after one game she's ready to go play the claw machine, it wasn't a big deal. I did tend to drop the ball a frame or two, and my hand would be uncomfortable for a day or so. But last week I snuck off and rolled 3 games without her, and it was clear I needed to get this taken care of.

mishatx
03-24-2017, 07:45 PM
Well that's a night and day difference. Took a few tosses to get the feel right and not have my thumb stick and toss the ball to the arrows, but it's amazing how much more comfortable it is when you don't have to worry about your grip.
Now to work on accuracy and a consistent release then justify a whole new arsenal :)

KYDave
03-24-2017, 10:44 PM
That's great news!

I've still been tweaking mine. Atleast my grip was good. Just trying to make it better.

Good luck!