PDA

View Full Version : Spare Ball Question

StormTex
02-02-2017, 03:44 PM
Currently using a urethane Storm Mix with a standard "label drill" for picking up spares, I am getting about 2-4" of hook on the back end most of the time and this is causing issues picking up combination spares on occasion.
I've already plan to purchase a polyester spare ball but was thinking instead of retiring the Mix have it plugged and re-drilled for more hook and possibly polishing/sanding the cover if needed. I ended up using it last league night toward the end of the 3rd game as a first ball because the lanes dried out so much, but wanted a little more hook out of it. Just seeing if you think the mix is worthy of a dry lane ball
Since I've little experience right now I look forward to your replies
current quiver is a Rocket-Ship, G900 Drift, Mix and new poly spare ball coming
Thanks!

fokai73
02-02-2017, 08:24 PM
Your Mix looks like its layout is max or near max flare already. The ball is Good for bone dry. but you can upgrade with dry or medium/dry lane ball with a bigger core just to help some with carry. And tweak the cover as needed.

For your spares, If you can flatten out your release or roll back up ball, you may find success with the mix. How fast do you throw? Also, I go throw plastic balls more often than others, and the Mix is much stronger than regular spare balls. But, the straighter the ball goes for a spare conversion, the better it is. Plastic balls do that.

I use a spare ball with a large core with my speed is around 18.5-19 mph down lane, and some times when the backends are flying, my ball turns left. So I adjust where I stand and go from there.

If it was me.... I'll keep the Mix and upgrade. WHen you see more oil, the mix is a great spare ball. You'll have a strike/spare ball in one.

StormTex
02-03-2017, 08:31 AM
Talked to my PSO and got a WD for spares, going to scuff the MIX with a 1000abralon to pick up a bit more bite and hook to use for dry lanes as a strike ball.
I think I'm on the right path
Thanks

LOUVIT
02-03-2017, 01:46 PM
spare ball? all I need is a 10 pin ball...lol... any other spare IMO can be done with the strike ball. Maybe that's why I average 160....lol.. To me a 10 pin is as good as a 4-6. open frame, it hooks away at the last possible second.

KYDave
02-03-2017, 02:52 PM
spare ball? all I need is a 10 pin ball...lol... any other spare IMO can be done with the strike ball. Maybe that's why I average 160....lol.. To me a 10 pin is as good as a 4-6. open frame, it hooks away at the last possible second.

I don't have a spare ball either. All I could ever have growing up was 1 ball so I had to learn how to make that work. I thow flat at about everything and a very slight backup for the 10. Some multi pin like double wood I'll hook at. But even a 7 pin I'll throw flat.

I guess it is whatever you get used to or comfortable with. I know a couple guys that use a spare ball for any 2nd ball no matter the leave.

fokai73
02-03-2017, 03:31 PM
Talked to my PSO and got a WD for spares, going to scuff the MIX with a 1000abralon to pick up a bit more bite and hook to use for dry lanes as a strike ball.
I think I'm on the right path
Thanks

You're on your way. next before you upgrade on equipment, use that money for coaching. Once you develop a spare system, repeat your approach, your score will go up for sure. That's when you get a NIB!! lol

StormTex
02-03-2017, 03:50 PM
Definitely next step is coaching, my PSO is great about watching me and offering advice but I need a real session.
I can spare with the strike ball and alternate between it and my spare ball depending on what pin(s) they are
thanks for the advice!

JerseyJim
02-04-2017, 11:06 PM
You should give this article a quick read. It's not the version that was in Bowling this Month, but it contains most of the same info. http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/images/f/f2/Triax_Spare_System.pdf

hotdog`966
02-20-2017, 11:31 PM
yeah I have had a 10 pin ball for like ever, tried to throw the strike ball really fast at the 10 pin ah maybe 50/50. Went to spare ball a little lighter in weight and it is more like 80% now.

RobLV1
02-21-2017, 05:34 AM
yeah I have had a 10 pin ball for like ever, tried to throw the strike ball really fast at the 10 pin ah maybe 50/50. Went to spare ball a little lighter in weight and it is more like 80% now.

Get the other 20% and use the same weight as your strike ball. One of the very few things that coaches and PSO's agree on is that changing weights is a really bad idea... it messes with your timing, and that affects your accuracy.

chip82901
02-21-2017, 10:58 AM
I picked up a white dot from a guy as my Mainframe cracked around the fingers last year. I'm used to getting 2 boards hook out of a plastic ball, but this white dot doesn't move at all. Throws me off from time to time. I've thought about just polishing the hell out of my Pitch Blue and using that, but I use it when the lanes break down (happens quite often in my home center). Just going to have to get accustomed to it not moving and make the right adjustments.

J Anderson
02-21-2017, 12:16 PM
I picked up a white dot from a guy as my Mainframe cracked around the fingers last year. I'm used to getting 2 boards hook out of a plastic ball, but this white dot doesn't move at all. Throws me off from time to time. I've thought about just polishing the hell out of my Pitch Blue and using that, but I use it when the lanes break down (happens quite often in my home center). Just going to have to get accustomed to it not moving and make the right adjustments.

Not moving at all is exactly what you should want from a spare ball. Best thing would be to take a practice session to figure out exactly where you need to set up and where you should target using the new ball and then keep going until it becomes automatic.

fokai73
02-21-2017, 03:58 PM
I never understood why bowlers would use a lighter weight or heavier weighted spare ball...

chip82901
02-21-2017, 04:20 PM
Oh I've gotten accustomed to it. I've actually thought about getting another urethane because I actually like a little movement in a spare ball

fokai73
02-21-2017, 06:25 PM
another thing I don't understand, why do some bowlers to tour pro like osku throw bullets at single pins? For what purpose?

I saw him overseas one day with Kim L., they were practicing at the very end of the bowling alley and I was the only one there besides the two of them. I didn't know they were there until I heard a loud BOOM!! and a pin sounding like it broke. I looked over as he walked back.... most likely the that rack had 20 pins instead of 21....

mishatx
02-22-2017, 01:54 AM
well if you throw it hard enough, it won't be able to hook away....

fokai73
02-22-2017, 02:38 AM
well if you throw it hard enough, it won't be able to hook away....

high speed has no bearing on accuracy for the spare game. Throwing it harder can cause inaccuracy. Throwing it harder is a different dimension of pace and timing vs normal strike swing and ball speed. This causes inconsistency for many bowlers. A spare ball is easier to roll straight with normal speed, proper technique, and it wouldn't hook. I prefer to keep a consistent swing tempo that repeats itself from strike and spare shooting.

chip82901
02-22-2017, 11:30 AM
Osku throws it hard for the simple fact that when he throws with 1 hand, he has a very high back swing. When he comes back down, everything unloads into it. He's not purposely trying to throw it as hard as he can. He's also VERY accurate.

On another note, I think I got familiar with my plastic ball last night. 29 clean 663 (left a 7-10 the first game, almost covered it. Kicked the 10 up, hit the deck and bounced off).