PDA

View Full Version : Time to get switch grips for thumb.

Blomer
02-04-2017, 09:17 AM
Planning on getting some switch grips for my balls. Too many times I come in and the center is too warm or too cold where my thumb can't fit in the hole it fits differently. When I can fit thumb in, my game is on, but lately, it's been swollen and bee throw in off my game. Not sure what my pro offers but it's being done Tuesday!

KYDave
02-04-2017, 11:54 AM
I'm a bit on the fence about this. My pso of 24 years is 100% against them. When I went to the motiv demo last weekend it was the first time anyone has ever drilled a ball for me other than him and they almost always use them.

My guy can get the thumb right, or adjust til it is. I made it in there when my thumb was swollen and he made adjustments on all 3 balls. Now they all fit fine, or worst case a couple pieces of tape. So I dunno, maybe not necessary. But it would be nice to have 2 sizes and not have to fuss with tape.

The problem for me is usually my fingers. If I have inserts that fit one day, they are too tight the next. One size up and will fit great, then too loose another. Thats why I was looking at the insert remover, can switch insert size without chewing them up. At the demo, they had switch grip fingers which really may suit me more than the thumb.

fokai73
02-04-2017, 03:59 PM
KYDave, your PSO is against them for you? Or against it all together?

Guys who clip their thumb holes like I do, more even with my spare ball, IT may not be good for high track players that do this - easily damage IT or SWITCH Grips. I have Vise IT in all my balls except my spare balls. I damage the holes on my spare balls often, so I keep it molded.

I asked my PSO to make a thumb mold (from my favorite thumb slug) for my IT and molds for my spare balls. Before I did IT system, I used thumb mold.

fokai73
02-04-2017, 04:03 PM
Blomer good move, I've had IT for several years now and I do clip my thumb hole on the left edge on some balls. Or when I use my urethane as my spare ball end over end roll.. my local PSO and even buddiesprosho, both who drill my stuff, do a great job. I haven't had issues of damaged IT.

ep1977
02-04-2017, 04:41 PM
Switching to VISE IT thumbs was a great move for me. My thumb has a tendency to swell after a couple of games and it's a pleasure to just take the thumb out and replace it with my bigger one. And I have more confidence making a ball switch as I know the ball will feel exactly the same.

KYDave
02-04-2017, 04:48 PM
KYDave, your PSO is against them for you? Or against it all together?

Guys who clip their thumb holes like I do, more even with my spare ball, IT may not be good for high track players that do this - easily damage IT or SWITCH Grips. I have Vise IT in all my balls except my spare balls. I damage the holes on my spare balls often, so I keep it molded.

I asked my PSO to make a thumb mold (from my favorite thumb slug) for my IT and molds for my spare balls. Before I did IT system, I used thumb mold.

Against all together. Waste of money. His opinion is the shop should be good enough to make your thumb right to begin with and not need it.

I track fairly high but don't clip the thumb.

bowl1820
02-04-2017, 05:37 PM
Against all together. Waste of money. His opinion is the shop should be good enough to make your thumb right to begin with and not need it.

Using interchangeable thumbs has nothing to with the shop being "good enough to make your thumb right to begin with". No matter how "perfect" you get your thumb fit in the shop, your thumb can change size (Some more than others) throughout the day or during the course of a series.

Interchangeable thumbs give a player the ability to change thumb hole sizes (if they choose/need too), Should their thumb change size do to swelling or shrinkage and also to be able switch the proper fit between balls if needed during the course of bowling.

More likely he just doesn't want (or have the customer demand) to go to the expense (which there is a start up cost) and trouble needed to stock & install them.

KYDave
02-05-2017, 12:33 AM
Valid points 1820. I too see the benefit, but if I chose to go that route it would have to be thru another shop. I've had such a long relationship with him it would be tough to go elsewhere. Only ball not bought and drilled thru him was the ghost I got at the demo. I can only imagine what he would say to interchangeable fingers lol.

In the end, I guess it always comes down to what is best for you, the bowler. Sounds like Blomer (who's thread I've slightly derailed) is doing just that.

Blomer
02-05-2017, 02:41 PM
Yeah, my thumb my changes too much. I could have the hole made larger, but I hate to play the tape game putting it in and taking it out. Talked to my PSO he said after the initial purchase and all the cost isn't much on a new ball.

Stormed1
02-05-2017, 06:04 PM
As for you fingers you c ould go,with vacu-grips which would expand azs youfr fingers do. I went to them a couple years ago and was able to drop a full grip size. I have no issues when my fingers swell and still have a nice tight fit at the start of the night when my fingers are down.

Blomer
02-08-2017, 10:34 PM
Brought my balls in and I should have them back all with switch grips Friday evening. I also got two sets of inserts. He recommended to get two fo both size incase one breaks. I also ended up getting a new ball, Pitbull. I have county tournament Saturday for team division. He said drill the new ball and placing switch grips in a total o 5 balls will be done Friday. Crazy!! The shop at the house I bowl at would take much longer!

KYDave
02-08-2017, 10:56 PM
That is pretty fast. So how do you get both sizes? Go back in when your thumb is swollen or just make same shape just bigger?

Pitbull looks like a monster. It was on my short list with the ghost and gauntlet. Ended up with the ghost after throwing it at a demo and getting a killer deal on it.

Atleast you will have some time to throw it before the tourney!

Blomer
02-09-2017, 07:34 AM
I have a ball that fit me when my thumb is swollen. So he took that measurement and measure meant of my other balls which fit great when it's not swollen. When I pick them up Friday he will do adjustments if needed. Went with Ptibull as I need a tourney ball. I don't do much tournaments, but need a ball that will hook on different patterns and he said that ball HOOKS!

NewToBowling
02-09-2017, 09:42 AM
Do you plan to still use tape inside inserts (if you ever did before)

Blomer
02-09-2017, 05:50 PM
i'm hoping not to use tape.

Stormed1
02-09-2017, 06:03 PM
Idrill my inserts (normal size) to use 2 pieces of tape for ripping purpose as my hands are extremely dry do to my dialysis treatments. I have az total of 9 thumbs available. I have 2 that are ery large from when I weighed 50 pounds more than I do now. They usually only go with me to tournaments where i will bowl a lot of games over 2 days. I have 2 each normal,larger and smaller. And I have 1 that is very small for when I have been out of bowling for a while due to health isxsues

KYDave
02-09-2017, 07:09 PM
Ok that makes sense. I still may consider that option down the road.

Stormed1- I missed your comment about the vacu grips. I will look into that thanks!

Amyers
02-10-2017, 10:56 AM
Ok that makes sense. I still may consider that option down the road.

Stormed1- I missed your comment about the vacu grips. I will look into that thanks!

I use them too Dave. I like the feel

vdubtx
02-10-2017, 11:59 AM
I use VISE IT's. Love them, thumb is nice and secure and having the ability to change size of the thumb is certainly a plus.
I currently have 3 thumbs of varying sizes.

fokai73
02-10-2017, 01:39 PM
a naked thumb hole always seems strange to me. Maybe because bowlers use the thumb tape on their thumb, but for those bowlers who don't use no tape or whatever inside their thumb slug/IT/SG or on the their thumb, makes me wonder how they get consistent timing.....

vdubtx
02-10-2017, 01:48 PM
a naked thumb hole always seems strange to me. Maybe because bowlers use the thumb tape on their thumb, but for those bowlers who don't use no tape or whatever inside their thumb slug/IT/SG or on the their thumb, makes me wonder how they get consistent timing.....

I use at least 1 piece of white tape on the thumb pad side in every thumb. I also use the VISE blue tape on the back of my thumb for smooth release.

drlawsoniii
02-10-2017, 01:50 PM

I dont have any tape in any of my balls, my thumb never swells. It could be that my PSO is great at getting a good fit, or that for some reason i dont have swelling issues. I use the same thumb slug in all of my balls.

KYDave
02-10-2017, 06:30 PM
I use turbo tape on back and side of my thumb. Just really like the feel.
Most of my balls the thumb just fits, or a single piece of tape. This last one I can actually use a couple pieces of tape.

I don't like the grippy tape, except the thickness. I use a slick piece over it or a couple of the slick pieces by itself.

I don't ever really swell/shrink during bowling. Whatever it is that day is pretty much where it stays, other than a tad bigger early morning for whatever reason.

Blomer
02-10-2017, 08:00 PM
Well props to my PSO! Brought my balls in Wednesday to get Switch Grips and bought a Pitbull and he had all five balls done for me today at 4:30! Really like switch grips and think it will be a good move for me. As far as the Pitbull goes, wow does it hook. Had to move 5 with my feet and target and it hits hard!

KYDave
02-10-2017, 11:20 PM
That's awesome! Sounds like good news with the new ball too. Everyone that I've talked to about it compares it to an amped up Grudge. Would you agree with that also?

Good luck tomorrow!

JasonNJ
02-11-2017, 10:28 AM
I dont have any tape in any of my balls, my thumb never swells. It could be that my PSO is great at getting a good fit, or that for some reason i dont have swelling issues. I use the same thumb slug in all of my balls.

My thumb rarely ever swells as well. But I have started using Hada tape on my thumb and once you get used to it it's hard to go back to not using it.

Blomer
02-12-2017, 09:21 PM
Well, somarnso,good. Really like the switch grips! Today, after the first game, my thumb swelled and switched to larger changed size and I was able to shoot a nice series, 623. Usually I would have to take my thumb half way out and would change my shot. I had one my regular size the other larger. I'm gonna have my PSO make me a another set of each size. This way I can Ave one in my strike ball and spare ball so it wouldn't take up time waiting for the hall to come back from ball return and then switching out the grip from one ball to the other. Tomorrow, I never know how the house will be, so the switch grips will be a welcome site there!

Sstech
02-13-2017, 08:27 AM
I had turbo switch grip installed and I really like them so far. My thumb changes size continuously having two different size thumb slugs has been great.

fokai73
02-13-2017, 12:59 PM

What's your thumb pitches?

I'm assuming that you don't really like tight snug thumb fit?

hotdog`966
02-20-2017, 11:24 PM
i have changed because i needed to have all my equipment fit the same. I got two switch grips for the thumb changing due to changing weather.

KYDave
02-22-2017, 10:01 PM
Looks like I'm making the switch (no pun intended)

Going back up to the shop I went to for the demo. It's a drive, but I know they do good work, much cheaper than anyone else around here, and buddy is gonna pick up a ball or 2 as well.

Hope this goes well.