PDA

View Full Version : New bowler needing help!!!

Sstech
02-05-2017, 06:53 PM
I haven't bowled since I was a teenager (41 now). I got the bug again after bowling with my daughters. I bought a new hammer scandal and I am having trouble throwing a hook. I get a few decent releases that give me a small hook. My release must be totally wrong since I noticed my ball is spinning not hooking. I will post videos when I go bowling next time. I don't remember it being so hard to hook a ball when I used to bowl in leagues.

Timmyb
02-05-2017, 09:48 PM
I haven't bowled since I was a teenager (41 now). I got the bug again after bowling with my daughters. I bought a new hammer scandal and I am having trouble throwing a hook. I get a few decent releases that give me a small hook. My release must be totally wrong since I noticed my ball is spinning not hooking. I will post videos when I go bowling next time. I don't remember it being so hard to hook a ball when I used to bowl in leagues.

Without seeing, I'd say it's something with your release point. Your hand needs to stay behind the ball until you're ready to lift and turn. Since it's really hard to tell someone how and when to release the ball, my suggestion is to go to YouTube and watch a couple of the release videos that are there. You may be able to spot something you're either doing wrong, or not doing at all. There's a link for one of them below.

https://youtu.be/7s25PAv4eLk

fokai73
02-05-2017, 10:39 PM
When I returned to the game after being away 15 years, it was my first experience with very strong covers, Particle. My last ball was a 88'(?) hammer urethane and "fisting" or hitting the ball was embedded in me from youth league coaching.

I could not make this new modern particle ball hook with my 3/4 release. I found out later why I barely made the ball hook. my slow 14.5 mph speed, wood dry lanes, and the fact I never knew about "10x10" wall patterns killed the Balls energy playing up 5.

So, it also could be a combination of your game, the lanes (may be dry), and your scandal being a strong ball.

Anyway, welcome back to the game! The rust will fall off and you'll be bang'n it on the lanes again!

Sstech
02-05-2017, 10:57 PM
I was creating alot releases with rotation but it was spinning like a top. I tried cupping my wrist but I never got the release consistent only had a few decent ones. I'm hoping once my thumb hole fits me better I will find some consistency. Probably going with the vise it system. My thumb swells and shrinks so I ended up adding and removing tape the couple of times I have went bowling since I bought the new ball. I plan on filming myself this week.

JasonNJ
02-05-2017, 11:10 PM
The Scandal is supposed to be a strong hooking ball so I would have to say it's your release as well. Since you are just getting back into bowling, I would suggest you learn the modern release of loading and unloading. I shared this video in another post but I think this will help you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-opTE5xgBw

Blomer
02-06-2017, 06:44 PM
Agree with Jason, strong hooking ball. Perhaps you are laying it down flat? Shake hands! lol

Amyers
02-07-2017, 11:24 AM
It's the release or as Fokai suggested too strong a ball for the lane conditions. Around here finding enough oil on open bowling times to be able to throw a scandal is unlikely at best. I would suggest trying to get a lane right after league might get some more oil especially if they only have 1 shift leagues in your area. You may also want to look into some coaching to help nock some of the rust off and believe it or not the games changed a lot in the last 20 years.

mishatx
02-07-2017, 05:46 PM
I was creating alot releases with rotation but it was spinning like a top. I tried cupping my wrist but I never got the release consistent only had a few decent ones. I'm hoping once my thumb hole fits me better I will find some consistency. Probably going with the vise it system. My thumb swells and shrinks so I ended up adding and removing tape the couple of times I have went bowling since I bought the new ball. I plan on filming myself this week.

It helped me visualize the proper ball motion and release by thinking about how a no-thumb two-hander throws the ball, then working backward to how that looks and feels with my thumb in it.

Sstech
02-12-2017, 06:50 PM
I had my daughter video me today. I can't believe how early I turn my hand and how my hand is on top of ball instead of underneath and behind it. I am trying to to figure out how to upload the video now.

Sstech
02-12-2017, 07:13 PM
Here is a link to my video. https://youtu.be/9K5-rm7lU0k
I'm going to try and get some better quality video next time. I shot it with my phone and the quality was fine but the upload to YouTube changed it.

mishatx
02-12-2017, 08:08 PM
I had my daughter video me today. I can't believe how early I turn my hand and how my hand is on top of ball instead of underneath and behind it. I am trying to to figure out how to upload the video now.

That sounds like what happened to me. My wife happened to video me and I couldn't believe what my hand was doing. It's a matter of trying to unlearn the things I taught myself as a child to throw laser straight.

Timmyb
02-12-2017, 09:55 PM

Damn near looks like your fingers and thumb are coming out at the same time. If that is the case, it would definitely explain the "spinning" instead of rolling down the lane. I'd still say it's your timing, and not the ball.

mishatx
02-13-2017, 03:34 PM
While it does look like an odd spin at the beginning of the skid phase, that ball motion looks decent, and it looks like you get strike. What's to complain about? ;)

I will offer to my untrained eye that your ball speed looks a bit on the high side. Slowing down may help your timing and help you stay behind the ball.

Sstech
02-13-2017, 05:50 PM
My video quality is so low it's hard to see how early I move my hand from cupped and behind the ball to the top right of the ball. I want to crank it like a two hander with no thumb. I have watched every video I can find about the modern release. Hopefully with enough practice I can get closer to a Rash or Weber release.

Sstech
02-13-2017, 05:51 PM
My video quality is so low it's hard to see how early I move my hand from cupped and behind the ball to the top right of the ball. I want to crank it like a two hander with no thumb. I have watched every video I can find about the modern release. Hopefully with enough practice I can get closer to a Rash or Weber release.my phone played a much higher video with slow mo that I could really see how wrong my release was.

JasonNJ
02-13-2017, 05:56 PM
My video quality is so low it's hard to see how early I move my hand from cupped and behind the ball to the top right of the ball. I want to crank it like a two hander with no thumb. I have watched every video I can find about the modern release. Hopefully with enough practice I can get closer to a Rash or Weber release.

Then my advice would be to do the foul line release drill. Get into a finish position and throw the ball and concentrate on how the release feels when you stay behind the ball. Once you get that, you can go backwards. One step drill, two step drill until you're get to a full approach.

Sstech
02-14-2017, 10:12 PM
Thanks to everyone for taking their time to watch my video and giving me your invite. I plan on getting to the lanes this week to practice.

Sstech
02-15-2017, 07:36 AM
Thanks to everyone for taking their time to watch my video and giving me your invite. I plan on getting to the lanes this week to practice.insight not invite

got_a_300
02-17-2017, 06:33 PM
Looking at the video it looks to me like you are staying behind
the ball up to just a little bit before the point of release it then
looks like you are turning your hand way off to the side of the ball
and getting something like the old suitcase type of release.

Try to stay behind the ball all the way through your approach and
as the ball is coming off of your thumb do a quarter of a turn with
your hand and let it roll off of your fingers.