PDA

View Full Version : looking for a light-medium oil ball

downeyjs
02-07-2017, 10:29 AM
Left handed bowler, averaging 220

I currently throw a storm code black for heavier oil, and motiv primal rage for medium-heavy oil. I am looking for something for lighter oil that will go long without a lot of snap at the end. Basically I want to play straight down the second arrow and not have the ball snap up and go Brooklyn. I have an older motiv venom strike, but the ball has too much backend. I even had it re drilled to tone it down, but its still too much. I am not opposed to any brand or style, open to any suggestions.

JasonNJ
02-07-2017, 10:34 AM
You could always adjust the surface on the Venom Strike. Maybe sand it 4000 abralon and then polish and see if that works for you before buying a new ball.

If you really want a new ball, maybe the Motive Freestyle, Columbia 300 Nitrous, DV8 Outcast. Balls in that range might work for you.

Amyers
02-07-2017, 11:15 AM
Trying to play the lane the way you want to instead of playing it the way the lane dictates mostly ends in heart break. Trying to use progressively weaker equipment to stay in the same spot has never worked for me. I may get an extra couple of shots on that line but that's going to be it. When the oil is gone it's gone doesn't matter if your throwing the biggest hookingist ball on the planet or the weakest of reactives eventually the ball is going to jump.

Try reversing the mythology for better results. Start off with a weaker ball that may let you play your preferred line longer then as the night progresses move in with your stronger equipment. It won't let you stay in the same spot but if you think about it the reasoning behind it makes sense.

Goose
02-07-2017, 11:59 AM
I love my DV8 Outcast, but would also recommend the Storm Joy Ride or Ride. Somebody on league throws the Joy Ride and it works great for them.

1VegasBowler
02-07-2017, 01:31 PM
The Fanatic BTU would be good for this. It's great on wet/dry conditions and it has a very slow response to the pocket.

steverwrx
02-07-2017, 01:36 PM
I just drilled up a urethane Storm Pitch Blue about a month ago for the same reason. Average has gone up 4 pins during that time and had a 289.