PDA

View Full Version : Slow vs fast response balls?

NewToBowling
02-07-2017, 03:26 PM
Fairly new term to me. Haven't really heard about this terminology.

Watch this You Tube video about the Wreck It vs Hectic

He says Wreck it is slow response and Hectic is fast response.

How would one figure out which ball is which. Does the surface, core, RG, etc help determine response time or is it also dependent on lane pattern?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHbhx93jt00

bowl1820
02-07-2017, 11:38 PM
Response time to Friction

Refers to how fast or slow a bowling ball responds to friction.

A Fast response time means that the ball responds quicker when it encounters friction, A Slow response is just the opposite. So In general, a quicker response to friction means a faster 2nd transition.

In other words a quick response time to friction is just that, the ball will rev up and change direction as soon as it encounters friction.

NewToBowling
02-08-2017, 12:06 AM
So how do I know which is which when looking at ball stats

bowl1820
02-08-2017, 12:43 AM

That I can't really say, I haven't seen that much discussion about it to point at one single thing. Other than that several factors can be involved ranging from layouts to coverstocks in affecting it..

Here's a video that kind of shows a example of response time to friction:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STxMbKj3hLg

Fix Compare Layouts AD vs SF
Published on Dec 16, 2016
The purpose of this video is to show the ball motion difference between the fastest response friction layout and the slowest response time to friction layout for Radical's The Fix high performance bowling ball..

Amyers
02-08-2017, 09:32 AM

Honestly you don't. I think it has more to do with the cover stock formulation than anything else. It is real but unfortunately it's not something you can tell by reading the label on a box.

NewToBowling
02-08-2017, 09:45 AM
Yeah that was what I was thinking. It would be something good to know beforehand. His illustrations of Wreck It vs Hectic are on point about fast/slow response though.

Amyers
02-08-2017, 09:53 AM
Yeah that was what I was thinking. It would be something good to know beforehand. His illustrations of Wreck It vs Hectic are on point about fast/slow response though.

I agree one of the reasons I try to see a ball roll first hand by someone I understand their game before I buy it but you can't always do that.

bowl1820
02-08-2017, 10:29 AM
Honestly you don't. I think it has more to do with the cover stock formulation than anything else. It is real but unfortunately it's not something you can tell by reading the label on a box.
+1

Yeah, it's pretty much not one specific thing you look at.

Today you mostly see "Response time to friction" mentioned more in company marketing materials, in relation to some new coverstock. Like when Brunswick came out with their "CFT" (Chemical Friction Technology).

But it was around before that, you'd see mention of it in talk about balls differential's and surface textures that produced faster response time to friction.

Or like the Fix video above, they're changing layout which is changing it.

So the term "Response time to friction" can be applied to various ball related parts.

Laneside makes mention of response time to friction in this video (about @1:20)

Radical Bowling Ridiculous Asym Review by Lane Side Reviews

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfnzWU3zsMs

Hammer
02-08-2017, 11:12 AM
Response time for a ball depends on what kind of release you have and what your rev count is. Higher rev players will have a quicker response to friction then lower rev players if both are using the exact same ball.

1VegasBowler
02-08-2017, 11:18 AM
Here's the video of The Fix from Lane Side Reviews where they drill this pin up and pin down so that you can see the big differences in the reactions of the ball.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBoxR1RST6c&t=495s

djp1080
02-08-2017, 02:01 PM
Fairly new term to me. Haven't really heard about this terminology.

Watch this You Tube video about the Wreck It vs Hectic

He says Wreck it is slow response and Hectic is fast response.

How would one figure out which ball is which. Does the surface, core, RG, etc help determine response time or is it also dependent on lane pattern?

I won a Wreck-It here a while back for which I'm very grateful.
I looked at the review on Bowling This Month first and then a couple of videos.
It looked to me that Mr. Sorce was throwing this ball too fast and then he later slowed it down a bit.
My experience was that this ball started its move too early. I took some Storm Reacta Shine to it. The result was pretty good. Compared it to my Hy-Road and the Wreck-It seems not to pick up the dry boards nearly as well, but it's close. Having polished it the Wreck-It has more snap to it on the backend now. Not bad for a symmetrical ball. Drilled 55 x 3 3/8 x 45. Probably should have placed the pin longer and changed the VAL angle down to 25 or 30 degrees. My Hy-Road was drilled 45 x 4 3/4 x 25 which really works well.
I have a Storm Code Black asymmetrical ball. I can play pretty close the same line as I would with the Hy-Road; however, the Code Black picks up more on backend on our 40 foot THS. I suppose it's quicker response based upon the videos that have been posted here.
Before purchasing a ball it's probably a good idea to check out some reviews by BTM or Bowling Journal. Looking at the spec's on the ball is interesting. Since the coverstock is probably the most important characteristic and it's finish, try to find out what coverstock a ball has. Then look at other balls using that cover. I think the Wreck-It and one of the Hustle balls uses the same cover.