PDA

View Full Version : A case where a ball change worked out great......

Hammer
02-08-2017, 05:33 PM
My wife and I pre-bowled today for this coming Saturday league night. The alley gave us two minute practice, boy could they spare it? My first game was a 154 with four opens. Second game I was warmed up and bowled a 190 with two opens. My third game I was still using my urethane Blue Hammer ball. I chalked up a spare in the first frame but went open in the second and third frame. My Blue Hammer just seemed to lose it's drive to the pocket because of carry down. I decided to go to my reactive Raw Hammer Anger ball. I had to guess where to stand. I went with my slide foot on board 26. I was throwing over between boards 10 and 15 out to breakpoint of 5. My first shot in the fourth frame was a strike. I went all strikes from there except my third ball in the 10 frame only got 9 pins down. That gave me a 243 game.

I couldn't believe what was happening. I guessed where to stand and just kept throwing over the same area. I wished I would have changed balls at the beginning of the third game. Maybe I would have gotten a 300 finally. My Anger ball was really attacking the pins. I just felt like I could throw it anywhere left-I am left handed- and it would go charging into the pocket perfectly. It was just one of those times that just worked out. Not bad for making a guess of where to stand on the approach. THE END.

RobLV1
02-08-2017, 06:42 PM
Next time you practice, figure out the difference between your bowling balls so you won't have to guess... you'll know!

Hammer
02-08-2017, 07:23 PM
Next time you practice, figure out the difference between your bowling balls so you won't have to guess... you'll know!

I started out with my urethane Blue Hammer ball because I asked the guy at the counter when the alleys he was giving us were last oiled and he said last night and we were there at 1PM this afternoon. So I thought that the alleys would be too dry for my Anger ball. Once the Blue lost it's drive to the pocket that's when I made the change to the reactive Anger ball. Too bad my brain didn't make the decision at the beginning of the third game. You know how that goes. Well maybe if I move a couple boards left it will come in stronger. Oh well, I am still happy that I did finally make the decision even if it was in the fourth frame. I hate to think what I would have bowled if I stayed with the Blue Hammer. It might have turned into one of those disaster games. I ended up happy as a clam though that's all that matters to me.

J Anderson
02-09-2017, 12:10 AM
I started out with my urethane Blue Hammer ball because I asked the guy at the counter when the alleys he was giving us were last oiled and he said last night and we were there at 1PM this afternoon. So I thought that the alleys would be too dry for my Anger ball. Once the Blue lost it's drive to the pocket that's when I made the change to the reactive Anger ball. Too bad my brain didn't make the decision at the beginning of the third game. You know how that goes. Well maybe if I move a couple boards left it will come in stronger. Oh well, I am still happy that I did finally make the decision even if it was in the fourth frame. I hate to think what I would have bowled if I stayed with the Blue Hammer. It might have turned into one of those disaster games. I ended up happy as a clam though that's all that matters to me.

You have to remember that lefties are only about 10% of the population. It's quite possible that your side of the lane, with the possible exception of the heads, was untouched fresh oil. Just one more reason why you should explore the lanes in practice, rather than go staight to your favorite line with your favorite ball.

fokai73
02-09-2017, 12:41 AM
what Rob said about getting to know your equipment during practice is great advice. I tell guys, especially the ball whores in my group who seem to buy every new release, the same thing. But they really don't, they want to see how many boards they can cover.

The bowler who finds it first, will mostly likely out strike their opponent.

Hammer
02-09-2017, 08:56 AM
You have to remember that lefties are only about 10% of the population. It's quite possible that your side of the lane, with the possible exception of the heads, was untouched fresh oil. Just one more reason why you should explore the lanes in practice, rather than go staight to your favorite line with your favorite ball.

You could be right about the lane oil not being too bad because of me being a lefty. It seems like there would be some kind of change in the oil because of it sitting from a league night the day before to 1PM the next day. As far as exploring the lanes in practice the house gave us only 2 minutes for practice. I started practice with my Blue Hammer and didn't have any time to try my reactive Anger ball to see the reaction I would have with it.

NewToBowling
02-09-2017, 09:42 AM
Too bad I write with my left but bowl (and almost anything else involving throwing) with my right

Tony
02-09-2017, 10:19 AM
Too bad I write with my left but bowl (and almost anything else involving throwing) with my right

You can always drill a ball up lefty and give it a shot. I know a few people that have thrown lefty due to injuries, I did for a year and a half, my avg was 10 pins lower. (I'm ambidextrous)

Tony
02-09-2017, 10:23 AM

Great point, one of my teammates is a lefty and there are often times where he is the only one and once he finds his line it stays pretty consistent all night.

NewToBowling
02-09-2017, 10:34 AM
You can always drill a ball up lefty and give it a shot. I know a few people that have thrown lefty due to injuries, I did for a year and a half, my avg was 10 pins lower. (I'm ambidextrous)

No chance. I'm comfortable with right side and would be a disaster with left