PDA

View Full Version : Benchmark ball

Algamotorsports67
02-09-2017, 03:33 PM
I'm fairly new to bowling, (5 months) I'm looking for a benchmark ball for a typical house pattern. I'm a lefty stroker who throws about 16 mph with medium revs at best. I currently own a Forrest green quantum and ebonite cyclone, but am looking for a solid benchmark ball that I can use first on a house shot whether fresh or beat up oil.
Thank you!

1VegasBowler
02-09-2017, 03:45 PM
Welcome!

There are a lot of benchmark balls out here, but the original DV8 Vandal is an excellent benchmark ball. It is also good enough to use for the entire night, and I certainly have on many occasions.

Algamotorsports67
02-09-2017, 05:00 PM
Sounds like a great ball, but I'm having trouble finding it in 15lbs. I believe it's a discontinued ball? Any other suggestions? Also, When picking this next "benchmark" ball should I consider a different cover stock then the balls in my current aresenal? (Polished solid reactive and a matte/sanded reactive resin)

1VegasBowler
02-09-2017, 05:07 PM
The original Vandal is still available. BowlersMart https://www.bowlersmart.com/dv8-vandal-bowling-ball still has them in many different weights, and for $135 it's a darn good price.

You can check out our review of the Vandal - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPaobF59JsQ&t=99s

Tony
02-09-2017, 05:08 PM
Sounds like a great ball, but I'm having trouble finding it in 15lbs. I believe it's a discontinued ball? Any other suggestions? Also, When picking this next "benchmark" ball should I consider a different cover stock then the balls in my current aresenal? (Polished solid reactive and a matte/sanded reactive resin)

If you want a Vandal, maybe look at the latest one Vandal Destroy and see if it meets your needs.

Stormed1
02-09-2017, 06:06 PM
Chronic Paranoia is a really good benchmark for THS.

RobLV1
02-10-2017, 12:20 AM
I'm fairly new to bowling, (5 months) I'm looking for a benchmark ball for a typical house pattern. I'm a lefty stroker who throws about 16 mph with medium revs at best. I currently own a Forrest green quantum and ebonite cyclone, but am looking for a solid benchmark ball that I can use first on a house shot whether fresh or beat up oil.
Thank you!

There is no such thing as a benchmark ball that you can use on fresh oil OR a beat up pattern. Stick with the two balls you have until you figure out what you're doing. I'm afraid that you have gotten the impression on these boards that the "right" ball can do everything... NOT!

KYDave
02-10-2017, 06:37 AM

Yes! Threw this ball at a demo and it was fantastic. It was very predictable and had a great motion downlane.

Currently use my RG DareDevil as my benchmark ball. Great ball as well but it is a little more angular than the chronic.

J Anderson
02-10-2017, 08:57 AM
There is no such thing as a benchmark ball that you can use on fresh oil OR a beat up pattern. Stick with the two balls you have until you figure out what you're doing. I'm afraid that you have gotten the impression on these boards that the "right" ball can do everything... NOT!

To add to Rob's post, the term benchmark ball really applies for advanced/elite bowlers who have an array of balls to choose from. By having a bench mark ball they can quickly decide if they need something that reacts earlier or later.

For some one starting out, the first step is to get your physical game set. Your footwork, swing, etc. have to be repeatable. Once you have some consistency you can begin to read the lane with either of the two balls that you have. With whichever ball you happen to throw you can analyze your shot; Felt good off my hand, close enough to my target, went brooklyn. Can I adjust and get this ball in the pocket? If I can, is it getting good pin carry? Would the other ball carry better?

Unless you are honestly making 90% of your 7 pins, your next ball should be plain old plastic. If you are, that's great and you can think about a third strike ball, but honestly unless you're bowling sport patterns or at several different locations you don't need it yet.

Amyers
02-10-2017, 10:05 AM
To add to Rob's post, the term benchmark ball really applies for advanced/elite bowlers who have an array of balls to choose from. By having a bench mark ball they can quickly decide if they need something that reacts earlier or later.

For some one starting out, the first step is to get your physical game set. Your footwork, swing, etc. have to be repeatable. Once you have some consistency you can begin to read the lane with either of the two balls that you have. With whichever ball you happen to throw you can analyze your shot; Felt good off my hand, close enough to my target, went brooklyn. Can I adjust and get this ball in the pocket? If I can, is it getting good pin carry? Would the other ball carry better?

Unless you are honestly making 90% of your 7 pins, your next ball should be plain old plastic. If you are, that's great and you can think about a third strike ball, but honestly unless you're bowling sport patterns or at several different locations you don't need it yet.

Look at this one. Best advice yet!!!

Algamotorsports67
02-10-2017, 07:34 PM
Thank you everyone for your input! I will continue to work on my skills and get more accurate with my current arsenal before thinking of another ball!

JasonNJ
02-11-2017, 10:31 AM
Thank you everyone for your input! I will continue to work on my skills and get more accurate with my current arsenal before thinking of another ball!

I think that's a good move. Especially if you are only bowling on house shots, then the 2 balls you have should be enough and I agree with the other guys, the next ball should be a spare ball.

Gutternut
02-15-2017, 12:08 PM
I agree with what the others have said.

The Forrest green quantum and ebonite cyclone should be good enough for you to work with until you feel comfortable with them. The cyclone being the weaker of the 2 can be your "benchmark" meaning you can use this in any condition and adjust as needed. Once you master that ball you should step up to the Quantum which is the stronger ball.

I have recently begun relearning to bowl, basically. I used to bowl with a plastic ball without my thumb and have started to bowl traditionally with newer balls, learning the physical part (footwork, arm swing, etc.) is the most important part right now.

1VegasBowler
02-15-2017, 12:32 PM
Brunswick's Forest Green Quantum is the top end of bowling balls (along with the Fire Pearl), and for a THS it needs to be drilled for length or it will be far too strong.

Even with it being drilled for length, it could become too much because it is such a powerful ball.

hotdog`966
02-23-2017, 05:02 PM

Absolutely