PDA

View Full Version : Would a asymmetric ball be too much for a THS pattern?

Hammer
02-13-2017, 07:05 PM
Both balls I have are of the symmetric variety. That is the type of ball I have used for all of the time I have been bowling which is around 32 years. To me anyway asymmetric balls would be too much power for the way I bowl and would be too much for THS patterns that I bowl on. I was wondering if anyone here uses asymmetric balls on THS patterns and are you able to control them okay?

drlawsoniii
02-13-2017, 07:52 PM
I throw a snap lock it's drilled pretty aggressively but i can still control it. If you are concerned about it you can always have it drilled with the pin directly under the ring finger with the CG at about a 40-45 degree angle from the pin.

KYDave
02-13-2017, 10:36 PM
I bowl at 6 different centers. They all bowl a little different from each other, and even the same center varies. Some more than others.

I have found for me, asym balls are either hot or not. If the ball matches up it is fire. If the first out of my bag is a asym (and it usually is) and it looks terrible, chances are my other asyms are not going to be that great either. I can manage a decent look with one maybe.

Sym balls for me are always atleast good. But have never been as great as a strong asym when it's on.

My Motiv Trident is a hybrid cover asym and it seems to be a bit more versatile than my others for whatever reason. I don't know if it is because it is a hybrid vs solid or the ball is just that dang good.

1VegasBowler
02-14-2017, 12:10 AM
On a THS, I always start with asymmetrical, whether it's my Ultimate Nirvana or my Vandal Smash. And depending how the lanes break down I can go either to my Vandal (asym) or my BTU (sym). There are times I can stay with one of my starters the entire night.

fokai73
02-14-2017, 12:20 AM
I throw a snap lock it's drilled pretty aggressively but i can still control it. If you are concerned about it you can always have it drilled with the pin directly under the ring finger with the CG at about a 40-45 degree angle from the pin.

On assymetrical balls... Not CG, but MB....

foreverincamo
02-16-2017, 04:21 PM
I usually start with an asymmetric ball, go symmetric when the lanes open up, and may go asym again if I want to really work around the pattern. Depends on how the lanes are reading to me. Sometimes I'm dead wrong and pay the price.

chip82901
02-17-2017, 11:20 AM
With my higher rev rate, Asym balls just aren't a good idea for me. They usually get too jumpy as I'm looking for length. Currently in my locker are: Storm Phaze, Storm Phaze II, Storm Street Fight, and a Storm Pitch Blue. I usually start the night with either my Street Fight or my Phaze II. From there, I read the lanes. If the Street Fight is going a bit too long or I need more angle, I will switch to the Phaze and move a few boards left. If I see more carry down (typically on my friday night mixed league), I usually will go to the Phaze II and move inside and bang off the blown out 10 board. Once that goes away, I'll go to the Phaze and move a couple right and keep banging the 10 board. Soon I'll have a Timeless (within the next week), and hopefully that allows me to make less ball changes.

Blacksox1
02-17-2017, 01:15 PM
Remember everyone, using a low flaring layout may work for you. I use three different layouts across my arsenal.:)

hotdog`966
02-20-2017, 11:50 PM
I have one layout pin up, one pin down and one pin right with the cg kicked out.