PDA

View Full Version : Had my first bowling ball crack.

JasonNJ
02-16-2017, 12:54 PM
I bought an Ultimate Nirvana back in Nov and only used once. It's been sitting on my shelf since and just noticed a huge crack from the finger holes to the thumb. This is inside my house so no strange temperature changes or anything like that. Just strange that it would crack. Here is a picture of it.

http://i853.photobucket.com/albums/ab96/jason_nj/IMG_20170216_123726.jpg (http://s853.photobucket.com/user/jason_nj/media/IMG_20170216_123726.jpg.html)

Yes it's drilled for a left hander, I bought it on sale and wanted to fool around throwing a backup ball which is why I've only used this ball once since purchasing. Anyway, I've emailed Brunswick so hopefully they'll give me a warranty replacement.

1VegasBowler
02-16-2017, 01:04 PM
My Ultimate cracked almost the exact same way and mine was replaced.

bowl1820
02-16-2017, 02:04 PM
You should have drilled the pin out since it was that close to the finge hole. That hole looks like it went right down the edge of the pin. That most likely were the crack started.

1VegasBowler
02-16-2017, 02:12 PM
You should have drilled the pin out since it was that close to the finge hole. That hole looks like it went right down the edge of the pin. That most likely were the crack started.

Now that I look at the picture better, they may not cover it under the warranty because Brunswick says to keep the drillings a minimum of 1 inch from the pin or it will void the warranty.

JasonNJ
02-16-2017, 02:47 PM
Now that I look at the picture better, they may not cover it under the warranty because Brunswick says to keep the drillings a minimum of 1 inch from the pin or it will void the warranty.

If that is the case, I'll ask the pro shop that drilled it and see what they say.

KYDave
02-16-2017, 06:09 PM
That's a bummer. Didn't notice how close it was to the finger hole til 1820 mentioned it. I've had a couple that were close to the finger but not that close.

On another note, why do some shops scribe the lines in the ball? I despise this practice and see no reason to do it. Can anyone tell me why it is done?

bowl1820
02-16-2017, 06:37 PM
On another note, why do some shops scribe the lines in the ball? I despise this practice and see no reason to do it. Can anyone tell me why it is done?

Scribed lines are considered more precise.

Here's from a article about the PBA Drill truck.
"Most pro shops use a grease pencil to mark the balls for drilling," Snellbaker says. "Scribing is much better, since it leaves a permanent record of the work and allows greater accuracy. We drill with an accuracy of 128th of an inch." Thompson adds, "Some players' feel is more sensitive, so the degree of accuracy really counts."

For those that don't know what scribing is:

When they map your grip on the ball, They usually mark where the grip is using a yellow grease/wax pencil. Scribing is where instead of using a pencil, they use a metal "scribe" and etch the grip layout lines into the balls surface.

Example:
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRhORPi5dLe679DOKbDRr7IlaKq0Ja7D Y_PiRuTR-LjFgDccZeE&t=1

It's felt that this is more precise and allows greater accuracy for drilling the holes.

You mostly see scribing on balls that had been used in the PBA or drilled by high volume pro-shops (Like some online shops that drill balls).

The marked balls are alot of the time handled by several people there before being drilled, yellow grease/wax pencil lines can easily get rubbed off scribed lines won't.

Scribed lines are permanent to a extent, depending on how deep they did it. After you sanded your ball a couple of times usually it would be gone.

A lot of regular bowlers don't like scribed lines, because feel their ball isn't pretty anymore, The pba Pro's don't care they are worried about winning not what their ball looked like.

KYDave
02-16-2017, 07:30 PM
Thanks for the info. I can see if the ball in high volume situations gets handled a lot.
However, down to 1/128" I don't care how sensitive you are, I bet you could drill 1/32" and you wouldn't notice. Finger/thumb sizes vary more than that. Not trying to talk smack, just seems a bit overboard. I bet the measurement of uncertainty of the equipment they are using to layout the ball isn't close to that accuracy.

Kinda seems to go along with the guys that leave the pencil marks when they hand cut dovetails. That could easily be erased or sanded out, but a lot of guys leave them in "because".

fokai73
02-16-2017, 07:40 PM
bowling ball curing process can still be happening after the ball drilled.

I've also had balls with my pin partially, half way, or drilled out and non of them cracked. The ones that cracked were the ones sitting very very long in storage with the finger hole down. I've had a V2 particle ball from EBi crack all the way around similar to the photo. and there was a "cave" between the filler and core... craziest thing I saw at the time..and the ball was my main ball at the time....

Scribe lines is the reason one online Shop does my equipment 100% accurately! I open the box, check pitches, span, and IT fit and it's always dead on. They never even seen me in person....

1VegasBowler
02-16-2017, 08:04 PM
If that is the case, I'll ask the pro shop that drilled it and see what they say.

I spoke with my PSO and I was correct. The drillings for a Brunswick ball have to be a minimum of 1 inch from the pin in order for the warranty to stay valid.

JasonNJ
02-16-2017, 10:24 PM
I spoke with my PSO and I was correct. The drillings for a Brunswick ball have to be a minimum of 1 inch from the pin in order for the warranty to stay valid.

Yeah I'm already in touch with Brunswick customer service and they asked for a better picture of the finger holes and asked who drilled it. I'm guessing they're going to tell me that the warranty is voided so I'll have to ask my pro shop why they drilled it that way.

1VegasBowler
02-17-2017, 02:26 AM
Yeah I'm already in touch with Brunswick customer service and they asked for a better picture of the finger holes and asked who drilled it. I'm guessing they're going to tell me that the warranty is voided so I'll have to ask my pro shop why they drilled it that way.

Sorry I had to be the one to break the news about that.

bowl1820
02-17-2017, 08:48 AM

I think I would have gone to the PSO first and seen if he and his distributor would have would have replaced it. If not then gone to big B customer service.

If big B say they wont warranty it, go to the PSO. Dont say anything about talking to big B and see if he'll replace.

JasonNJ
02-17-2017, 10:31 AM
I think I would have gone to the PSO first and seen if he and his distributor would have would have replaced it. If not then gone to big B customer service.

If big B say they wont warranty it, go to the PSO. Dont say anything about talking to big B and see if he'll replace.

I didn't know you aren't supposed to drill so close to the pin if I did I would have went to the PSO first but I had already contact Brunswick. Anyway, I got good news, Brunswick is going to warranty the ball. They offered an Absolute Nirvana and a True Nirvana so I already have a bunch of strong solids so I went with the True Nirvana. Thank you Brunswick.

1VegasBowler
02-17-2017, 10:40 AM
I didn't know you aren't supposed to drill so close to the pin if I did I would have went to the PSO first but I had already contact Brunswick. Anyway, I got good news, Brunswick is going to warranty the ball. They offered an Absolute Nirvana and a True Nirvana so I already have a bunch of strong solids so I went with the True Nirvana. Thank you Brunswick.

WOW! Good for you! Nothing like pulling a rabbit out of the hat!

I think you'll be happy with the True Nirvana. I like how clean it is from front to back without the over read, the length it gives, and the great hitting power of the Nirvana line.

Good luck with the new rock!

chip82901
02-17-2017, 11:07 AM
Had a Pyramid Blood Moon blow out the balance hole, not only once, but twice. Balance hole was located right next to the CG on the first one, and started cracking from the filler material first, before reaching the coverstock. Bowlingball.com warrantied that one, and replaced it with another. The 2nd ball, I made sure to order with almost identical specs. Drilled it the exact same way, and 5 games later, it started doing the EXACT SAME THING. Cracking from the filler material out. They warrantied that as well, so I sent them the 1st ball back to see what was causing this issue. They warrantied the 2nd ball, and instead of dealing with the same thing, I paid an extra $10 and got myself a Storm Pitch Blue. I had the 2nd ball plugged and redrilled out the balance hole. Worked great for a bit, then I noticed that the ball started cracking AGAIN inside the balance hole through the plug. That ball is now retired as it was a GREAT ball in that it was my benchmark, but if it just keeps cracking, I don't want to deal with it.

Blacksox1
02-17-2017, 01:04 PM

JasonNJ, I have followed this thread from the start. In this case, I believe you made the right moves. Brunswick heard directly from a loyal customer. The product failed because the PSO alone, drilled the ball in a way that could invalidate the warranty. Brunswick and all bowling ball companies love making profit from sales from brand loyal bowlers.

The phone call from Brunswick to your PSO would be very entertaining. I am sure they counseled your PSO nicely.:) Remember this when dealing with this PSO. Enjoy the new ball and give us updates. (ball and PSO)

Goose
02-17-2017, 02:35 PM
I have to watch my Scandel, cause my Grudge and the Scandel were both drilled with the right finger beside the pin and the Grudge cracked clean around. I posted a picture of it on a different thread if anyone wants to look and advise me.

Goose
02-17-2017, 02:58 PM
http://i1044.photobucket.com/albums/b449/gooseironhorse/20170126_062534_resized_zps2hjhpukd.jpg (http://s1044.photobucket.com/user/gooseironhorse/media/20170126_062534_resized_zps2hjhpukd.jpg.html)

Here it is.

JasonNJ
02-17-2017, 03:44 PM
JasonNJ, I have followed this thread from the start. In this case, I believe you made the right moves. Brunswick heard directly from a loyal customer. The product failed because the PSO alone, drilled the ball in a way that could invalidate the warranty. Brunswick and all bowling ball companies love making profit from sales from brand loyal bowlers.

The phone call from Brunswick to your PSO would be very entertaining. I am sure they counseled your PSO nicely.:) Remember this when dealing with this PSO. Enjoy the new ball and give us updates. (ball and PSO)

Thanks, I told Brunswick I would make sure they don't drill so close to the pin on this one.

JasonNJ
02-17-2017, 03:45 PM
http://i1044.photobucket.com/albums/b449/gooseironhorse/20170126_062534_resized_zps2hjhpukd.jpg (http://s1044.photobucket.com/user/gooseironhorse/media/20170126_062534_resized_zps2hjhpukd.jpg.html)

Here it is.

Have you asked your PSO about it?

foreverincamo
02-17-2017, 04:01 PM
What a bummer. You'd think they would train all PSO's to drill every ball sobiy couldn't void the warranty like that

KYDave
02-18-2017, 10:27 AM
Wow that's great news! I didn't think they would replace, especially since they asked for better pics of the fingers.

Good luck with the new ball. I've watched a few vids and looks pretty nice.