PDA

View Full Version : Which Ball do they count as your 300 ball?

Aslan
02-16-2017, 01:24 PM
If a person bowls a 300-game, the league secretary has to fill out a form and submit it to the USBC. On that form, they as what ball you were using and the serial number.

However, most bowlers capable of a 300-game, nowadays, use more than one ball over the course of a 3-game series. You might even use 1-3 different strike balls during the course of a game.

So, which one counts? When you say "I bowled a 300-game!"..."...with my -insert ball name- !" Which ball do you say you rolled it with?

Now...if it's a 300-game...you're MUCH more likely to use 1-2 balls (NOT 3). Three is possible....if you're really lucky and super observant...but generally...if you're striking...you stay with that ball. So, this is for the unique sitiations where you started with Ball A...then after Frame #6...of #7....you see that the last two 'strikes'...probably weren't going to continue to be strikes if you don't make a ball change. In this situation, which ball is your 300-ball?

Logic would say, it's the ball you threw 7 of the 12 times. But, I don't think thats the way they do it. I think they would say it's the ball you threw on that final shot of the 10th frame...no matter what balls, how many balls, how many throws, etc...

I thought I'd ask this question if I ever threw a 300-game with two or more balls...but figured that was highly unlikely to happen...so I thought I'd wait till my first 300-game...but I figure that's about equally unlikely...so I might as well try to figure it out now.

fokai73
02-16-2017, 02:06 PM
I used two balls, one on for each lane... they put both balls down on the form, but this was 11 years ago.....

bubba809
02-16-2017, 02:49 PM
I suppose it's your choice. Not like they will have proof of which of those SN's you give, providing it's a valid SN.

I was lucky. I only had one ball with me when I bowled mine.

NewToBowling
02-16-2017, 04:52 PM
USBC doesn't really care, just put anything and say YES to the question of whether it has a serial # or not.

chip82901
02-17-2017, 11:14 AM
USBC doesn't even write down the serial# any more. They just care if it has one

Blacksox1
02-17-2017, 01:19 PM
I believe the USBC is only concerned that the ball or balls are on the approved list.

Blacksox1
02-17-2017, 01:21 PM
I used two balls, one on for each lane... they put both balls down on the form, but this was 11 years ago.....

Impressive and difficult fokai73:)

got_a_300
02-17-2017, 03:13 PM
Back many years ago back in the 80's the first 300 game I had I only
used one ball on both lanes and put down the serial number for it.

The next time I shot another 300 a few months later I was using a very
highly polished ball on the left lane and a very dull ball on the right lane
and had to put down both balls serial numbers but that was way back then.

Any other 300's I've had in the past after using the two balls for the 300
I was just using one ball so just one serial number turned in.

J Anderson
02-17-2017, 03:57 PM
Impressive and difficult fokai73:)

If the lanes were playing enough differently to merit using two different balls, it would have been far more difficult in terms of physical to have gotten a 300 on that pair using a single ball.