PDA

View Full Version : Pro Shop Horror Stories

Blomer
02-18-2017, 03:55 PM
Recently, I got all my balls fitted with Switch Grips. I had two sets of different sizes. I was up shopping and was near another pro shop so I stopped in. Was there recently for a tournament and saw their Swity Grip inner sleeves a little cheaper than the other shop. So I had them drill two more grips for me, a little larger in size. First one was done, no problems. But when doing the next one I heard, "oh ****!" He brought the ball out and the shell was majorly scrapped down. A huge chunk was taken out. The drill press must of came loose or unlocked where it held the ball. To make a long story short, I get a new ball. They didn't have the one in stock, they said I could pick any other, but been bowling well with the Grudge Hybrid. They were able to locate one at another shop of theirs. When I first got the ball, I was killing the pins, so I'm happy with getting the same ball, but new! Not a great first impression of the sop, but I do understand things happen. Nice enough guys. Maybe it's an omen of going to a different pro shop!

KYDave
02-18-2017, 05:30 PM
I feel you. I got a chip taken out of my thumb slug from a ball return. Took it up to the desk and they told me their shop would fix it no problem.

Had to wait an hour for them to open, rather that then go home then come back. So I take it in and told him what happened. I had the ball only 2 weeks and he says, uh well it doesn't look like it is in a spot where you should be able to feel it so it's fine. BS. So he measures the pitch and takes it in the back. He walks out and says uh, I accidentally drilled the pitch in the wrong direction. I'll just have the manager plug it and redrill it. Um, no you won't. I've had it 2 weeks and this is your screw up. He says, well it is the only thing we can do, and this isn't that good of a ball anyway (no rules). We are a brunswick shop.
I took it from him and luckily my guy was able to fix it without plugging it.

http://i1029.photobucket.com/albums/y354/kjmike95/bowling/20161113_155636_zpsksceewn5.jpg (http://s1029.photobucket.com/user/kjmike95/media/bowling/20161113_155636_zpsksceewn5.jpg.html)

fokai73
02-18-2017, 06:44 PM
I would of told that Brunswick shop guy to never touch a press again...lol dummy shouldn't be working in the shop. Triple Checking isn't that hard to do....

I've passed the word around in my area which pro shops to avoid. I delt with them and when they make a mistake in customer service or on my ball, I move on. That's just me. I recently had a really good pso drill my no rules and the middle finger was drilled 1/8 too long. I knew something was going to happen cause he was backed up.

My horror story was when I had my hammer toxic drilled. The shop guy drilled my thumb with a lateral pitch when I had zero. He then reslugged it put the right pitch, but...... dude used a vynal slug!! He was hesitant to replace it with a urethane vise but it was noted on my spec sheet.

chip82901
02-20-2017, 12:51 PM
The PSO at my local lanes is horrid. Basically knows how to drill 2 patterns, a full roller (which he is) and pin kicked out right of the fingers. That's it. If you want an actual drill (my favorite is 5x4x3, which he tried doing on a Pyramid Chosen Path Pearl and ruined horribly), don't go there. I actually haven't let him touch a ball of mine in over 3 years. Most of us now get our stuff drilled by either Clay Rees in Utah, or I go to Hill AFB to Max Shellabarger. Both are incredible and will make things right

Jaescrub
02-20-2017, 01:57 PM
When The wife first wanted to get into bowling a local pso talked her into a cheap plastic ball. He drilled it up and sent us on our way. She wanted to try it out so we hit the lanes and it was sticking on her fingers we took it back in and he said "Nope that's your fit" we repeated this three more times before leaving. We ended up going to his other pro shop he owned because a local guy all my bowling friends knew ran it. He found the problem in two seconds and fixed it. She bowled and it was night and day. We only use him. If it was not for him my wife was about to give up bowling now she owns 6 balls lol. Best part is he owns the pro shop now.

hotdog`966
02-20-2017, 11:40 PM
i went to the local shop one day to get a new ball. PSO takes my measurements and says come back in a couple hours. When I get there I could tell by looking at it the holes were wrong. I point this out to him (PSO) and he says the helper did it, the help comes over and says he had been drilling ALL the balls that way. I say what way, He says from the middle of the fingers to the middle of the thumb. The PSO said nothing and drilled another ball immediately. Sorry to see the help go......

Blomer
02-24-2017, 08:13 PM
I just got my Grudge Hybrid back from the shop that ruined my Hybrid that I brought in. Forgot how well the ball moved. The one I brought to them was working like it once did. Nice to have a new ball of the old ball.

KYDave
02-24-2017, 09:09 PM
I just got my Grudge Hybrid back from the shop that ruined my Hybrid that I brought in. Forgot how well the ball moved. The one I brought to them was working like it once did. Nice to have a new ball of the old ball.

Awesome! How many games were on the old one? Perhaps it was past due on oil extraction.

You know that is a fear of mine. Having a ball damaged that I love and is no longer available. Sure there are balls that are newer technology, stronger, whatever but sometimes you find that one gem that just rolls awesome for you.
Or, maybe that ball is something special to you.

I was at a local tournament with Mike Wolfe a couple weekends ago and he pulled out the original C300 Beast. I told him wow I haven't seen anyone throw that ball in a while. I loved mine. He said it is still one of the best balls he has ever owned. I still have mine, and it is special to me. I'd love to be able to still bowl with it but I would be heartbroken if something happened to it. So it sits on my shelf in the living room haha.

drlawsoniii
02-25-2017, 10:19 AM
Awesome! How many games were on the old one? Perhaps it was past due on oil extraction.

You know that is a fear of mine. Having a ball damaged that I love and is no longer available. Sure there are balls that are newer technology, stronger, whatever but sometimes you find that one gem that just rolls awesome for you.
Or, maybe that ball is something special to you.

I was at a local tournament with Mike Wolfe a couple weekends ago and he pulled out the original C300 Beast. I told him wow I haven't seen anyone throw that ball in a while. I loved mine. He said it is still one of the best balls he has ever owned. I still have mine, and it is special to me. I'd love to be able to still bowl with it but I would be heartbroken if something happened to it. So it sits on my shelf in the living room haha.

That's what happened to me i loved my original Marvel solid and they replaced it with a snap lock. I like the snap lock but it's just not the same.