PDA

View Full Version : 1st year of league coming to end, Whats next?

Bowlingfan92
02-26-2017, 10:59 AM
The end of winter league is right around the corner. This was my first year bowling league since I was a kid. I don't want it to stop, so I have thought about signing up for summer league but I have heard that people don't take summer league as serious as winter league. Also I have never entered a tournament and was thinking about doing handicap tournaments, what is your thought on that? My avg is 142 and going up, if I keep my form and the way I have been bowling I have been getting at least 180 each game. Thanks in advance for any tips.

got_a_300
02-26-2017, 02:19 PM
I'd say even though some bowlers do not take summer leagues all that serious
it is still a good experience to bowl on a summer league and helps keep your
timing/form on track.

Now as for bowling some handicap tournaments I'd have to say go for it as it
will be a good experience for you and you never know you might just end up
winning some of them.

J Anderson
02-26-2017, 03:27 PM
The end of winter league is right around the corner. This was my first year bowling league since I was a kid. I don't want it to stop, so I have thought about signing up for summer league but I have heard that people don't take summer league as serious as winter league. Also I have never entered a tournament and was thinking about doing handicap tournaments, what is your thought on that? My avg is 142 and going up, if I keep my form and the way I have been bowling I have been getting at least 180 each game. Thanks in advance for any tips.

This is the perfect time for you to try some tournaments. As a newbie, your average is still trying to catch up with your current ability. Have fun and don't let it bother you if some grumpy old guys accuse of being a sandbagger.

Some summer leagues can be very serious. I think the idea that none of them are taken seriously comes from so many people taking summer vacations combined with the brevity of the season. While you might miss a week or two of a winter league without feeling like you've missed much, go away for two weeks of a 14 wek long summer league and you've missed a much bigger percentage of the season.

fordman1
02-26-2017, 04:23 PM
Seems early for a league to end we still have 2 months to go. Keep at it and don't worry if you have a few bad weeks the good ones will out do the bad.

Blomer
02-26-2017, 04:40 PM
The summer league I'm in is more of. A fun League that's not so serious. What's nice is it's cheaper! Last summer we played teams who we gave 200-300 pins to. So it makes us more focused. I suggest as you ar exist wrapping up your first league, to join a summer league to stay fresh and learn more. As for tournament, go for it. The more tournaments you do the more comfortable you will feel. Great learning experience.

foreverincamo
02-26-2017, 10:04 PM
Our summer leagues also have options of playing Pro oil patterns. You bowl singles in match-play format and move lanes. The oil patterns change every 3rd week. They vary from 32 feet to 52 feet long, and the volumes change as well. You bowl 4 games a night.

fokai73
02-26-2017, 11:13 PM
When I returned to the game of bowling after being away 15-17 years, I joined my first winter league with a C300 scout and a spare ball. I finished the season with a 165 average. That following summer and summer league, I used that time to hone my skills and see my coach every two weeks. By the end of the summer league I was 189. I continued to work on my game seeing my coach every other month. Yes, I spent the money on coaching, but the more I did it was cheaper till it became free. I also saw Pete Somoff attended a Mo Pinel workshop - I helped out my PSO during the weekends and I got access to the shop. I learned the game and the technology little by little.

The following summer league, my second one, I joined a mens sport league. A mix of Modified house shots to animal patterns. I finished with a 178 average. I still had lessons and when I entered my second winter season. I finished with a 192 198 and 201 averages. I joined 3 leagues at three different houses. This time I started doing tournaments. I was fortunate to be surrounded by pros and established bowlers whom I learned from.....

My third year of winter leagues, my average hovered in the same area.... THEN THE MAGIC HAPPENED!!!! I started doing my own surface adjustments at home, I bought a spinner. I took what I learned from the shop and by the second half of the season I was 218 lol.. yeah boy!! ball spinner over the X factor or what ever ball I thought about buying......

Find a coach, learn, absorb, practice drills, learn, absorb, practice drills, join competitive leagues, and get a spinner......... LOL

PANTERA!!!!

fokai73
02-26-2017, 11:25 PM
I wouldn't join summer league after my third one and took a break in the summer. But few summers I would either do sport leagues, or bowl in fun leagues with just a spare ball. Average doesn't matter and used these leagues to better my game and not waste time. But have fun at the same time.

1VegasBowler
02-26-2017, 11:37 PM
A lot of good advice here, especially where it concerns coaching, practicing, absorbing, etc.

While most leagues are fun leagues in the summer, it is also true that the ones with sport patterns (PBA) are the ones where the bowling is very serious.

Whether the sport league is certified or not, it counts on your personal USBC average. (At least the one I did was)

These averages from your regular leagues make your composite average for the current year and will be used in tournaments, and depending on the tournament rules you might have to use the adjusted average from the sport league if it computes higher than the composite.

If I can return to bowling in July after major knee surgery, I have to make a lot of use of the remaining time before the 2017-18 begins so that I can be as ready as possible.

Use whatever resources that are out there available to you. You can only get better :)

Bowlingfan92
02-28-2017, 04:33 PM
Thanks For all the tips, much appreciated!!!!

Tony
03-01-2017, 08:34 AM
One option is just bowling practice games and use the summer to get outside and play some GOLF !

NewToBowling
03-01-2017, 10:31 AM
Actually summer is great to do both as most weeknights bowling alleys actually have lanes available in the summer. I can bowl a few free games (thanks AMF Summer Pass) 2-3 weeknights and then do other stuff on weekends.