PDA

View Full Version : What new ball to buy ?

Tony
03-01-2017, 09:05 AM
With all the powerhouse new balls on the market it’s hard to choose something to add to my bag.
I see a lot of new Code Blacks, No Rules, No Rules pearl, Phase II, Torrent, Vandal Smash, and that’s just the one’s I have seen the most on the lanes since the start of the year.
What would you buy and why?
What would you buy if you were selecting a ball for my arsenal ?
Current balls : Ebonite Warrior elite, Storm Hy-Road, Storm IQ 30th anniversary, DV8 Outcast, DV8 black spare ball.
Thanks.

drlawsoniii
03-01-2017, 09:35 AM
I like the Trident i just purchased, it's pretty strong but versatile. I got it super cheap because a guy on my team is a PSO, I'm not really sure why the price point on Motiv seems to be so much higher than other manufacturers.

baker
03-01-2017, 10:57 AM
It looks like you could use a strong pearl above your hy-road and below your Warrior Elite. From what I've been seeing the Scandal pearl has been money for a lot of people. There was a guy throwing the no rules pearl on our pair this week as well and looked really good.

Tony
03-01-2017, 11:13 AM
I like the Trident i just purchased, it's pretty strong but versatile. I got it super cheap because a guy on my team is a PSO, I'm not really sure why the price point on Motiv seems to be so much higher than other manufacturers.

Thanks for the input, I know a few people that love the motive ball, I also don't know why the prices are higher than everyone else.

Tony
03-01-2017, 11:15 AM
It looks like you could use a strong pearl above your hy-road and below your Warrior Elite. From what I've been seeing the Scandal pearl has been money for a lot of people. There was a guy throwing the no rules pearl on our pair this week as well and looked really good.

I have seen several guys throw the no rules people, not any with the scandal .....will have to look more and see , thanks for the input.

1VegasBowler
03-01-2017, 11:28 AM
The Vandal Smash is a ball that hit my radar last year at Bowl Expo 2016, and when I finally got it back in October it has had more use than all of the others, and here are the reasons.

This ball is considered the anytime, anywhere and any bowler ball because of its versatility.

It's great on oil and it reads the lanes from front to back as good as anything out here. And when it comes to reading the friction, it doesn't over read. It stays very smooth and continuous.

My high game is a 280 and I did it with the Smash, and there are many times I have used it from start to finish. And while I have to make slight adjustments on the lanes, it's just that. A slight adjustment, with my normal target being 15-10. At worst I'll go 15-5.

Tony
03-01-2017, 12:29 PM
The Vandal Smash is a ball that hit my radar last year at Bowl Expo 2016, and when I finally got it back in October it has had more use than all of the others, and here are the reasons.

This ball is considered the anytime, anywhere and any bowler ball because of its versatility.

It's great on oil and it reads the lanes from front to back as good as anything out here. And when it comes to reading the friction, it doesn't over read. It stays very smooth and continuous.

My high game is a 280 and I did it with the Smash, and there are many times I have used it from start to finish. And while I have to make slight adjustments on the lanes, it's just that. A slight adjustment, with my normal target being 15-10. At worst I'll go 15-5.

One of the PSO's I know swears the Smash is his favorite ball of everything he's thrown the last couple of years and he drills up one of everything, seems like anyway.
Sounds like a great ball for you also !
I should add a little more info to help with the ball selection:
I'm 6' 200lb over 50, have had several arm surgeries so I'm using a 14lb ball. ( can throw a 15 /16 but want to save wear and tear on the arm.
I don't know the exact revs but would say med or average, speed 14 to 14.5, stroker with average in the 180's
It seems like my ball hooks more than you would expect considering it's a heavier oil house shot.
I tend to find Storm / Roto-Grip balls to work better for me, but as you can see I am open to other brands.

1VegasBowler
03-01-2017, 12:38 PM
I'm 6'2, 250, having a big issue with my throwing shoulder (operated on 4x and looking at a 5th) and about to have my slide knee replaced.

I can change my speeds in throwing, ranging from 14-17.5, and change my revs from about 240-310.

My Smash is a #14 and is drilled pin up, over ring, at 65x4 1/2x35.

Check out our video here -----> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XHFSxFueY0&t=370s

This might help in your decision :)

KYDave
03-02-2017, 08:24 AM
Thanks for the input, I know a few people that love the motive ball, I also don't know why the prices are higher than everyone else.

Have you ever priced a Lane#1 ball? lol

I've seen the retail price slightly higher on the motiv, but at the end of the day it is the same price as any other ball out the door, atleast around here.

I have the Trident and Ghost from motiv. Love them both. That being said, the Trident is a lot more versatile for me. It is medium-long and fairly angular. It is touted as a heavy oil piece, but I've been able to play on a medium shot or even when they start breaking down. This is my go to ball along with the DareDevil.

The Ghost is a beast heavy oil ball. It is early, smooth, and hooks. Then hooks some more. Compared to my No Rules solid, the Ghost is a lot more midlane and smooth. The No Rules is a hard off the spot skid/flip. My best games I've thrown with both of these balls. But you need to have some oil for them to do their job. Straight up 10 board on game 3 is not where these play.

I have not thrown any of the other balls you mentioned.

Hope this helps

KYDave
03-02-2017, 08:28 AM
Could not edit for some reason.

Thought I would mention this in case you did not know.

The No Rules Pearl is the cover of the DareDevil with the core of the No Rules solid.

Tony
03-02-2017, 09:01 AM
I'm 6'2, 250, having a big issue with my throwing shoulder (operated on 4x and looking at a 5th) and about to have my slide knee replaced.

I can change my speeds in throwing, ranging from 14-17.5, and change my revs from about 240-310.

My Smash is a #14 and is drilled pin up, over ring, at 65x4 1/2x35.

Check out our video here -----> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XHFSxFueY0&t=370s

This might help in your decision :)

Great video review, those guys certainly seem to love that ball, and I don't know how he did it but Rob is wearing my dads old golf pants from the 90's !

1VegasBowler
03-02-2017, 09:47 AM
Great video review, those guys certainly seem to love that ball, and I don't know how he did it but Rob is wearing my dads old golf pants from the 90's !

I got hooked on their reviews back in 2015 and last year I became a part of Team LSR. As you can see, they have a lot of fun doing them.

Rob certainly has an "interesting" wardrobe, and he's such a good person all around. He and I communicate frequently on Facebook, and he is helpful in anything bowling.

Tony
03-03-2017, 01:38 PM
It would seem that the discussion helped prove the point RobLV1 was talking about with many people going with the latest and greatest higher end balls.

In my case the actual ball type I was looking for was something I could use late in the third or fourth game to allow me to keep throwing the ball in my comfort zone . 20 / (10 +/- 5 boards)

Both PSO 's talked about the BTU balls and the Roto-Grip Hustle, I ended up with the Hustle (RIG) and after throwing a couple of practice games on burnt lanes it looks like it will fit right in where it's supposed to be.
Thanks to everyone for the suggestions, when I am ready to replace one of the higher end balls I will certainly be looking at some of the balls mentioned especially the Vandal Smash. It would probably be much more effective for me than the Warrior .

Blomer
03-05-2017, 07:49 AM
You may want to start building an arsenal of the same brand/company. Right now you have a mix bag. When you go with one brand/company, it will help you cut down on all the choices. Many of the companies have similar balls.

RobLV1
03-05-2017, 09:23 AM
You may want to start building an arsenal of the same brand/company. Right now you have a mix bag. When you go with one brand/company, it will help you cut down on all the choices. Many of the companies have similar balls.

This is good advice! When you stick with one or two companies, you get to know what to expect from their cover materials; on of the biggest unknowns when purchasing a bowling ball. Once you know the core specs and what to expect from the cover, your ball selections should be very close to your expectations.

Tony
03-05-2017, 09:29 AM

I used to bowl with all Storm / Roto-Grip equipment and upon the advice of both of the PSO’s
That I’m friends with I tried some DV8 and an Ebonite balls to explore the difference in ball motion that they have compared to the Storm product.
I’m not opposed to trying other brands where they might give me a better fit but the primary core of balls will continue to be Storm RG balls.