PDA

View Full Version : Terrible PSO/Alley Owner

chip82901
03-01-2017, 10:29 AM
So, my local house is the house that I was basically raised in. 6 nights a week growing up my family was at the lanes. I've given our owner/PSO a LOT of money over these years, and up until about 2 years ago I was still having him drill bowling balls for me, until he wasn't doing what I asked for. His attitude toward customers and regular bowlers is beyond terrible. Case in point last night.

I asked to use his ball spinner in his pro shop (something I have done a few times without any issues) to apply a bit of polish to a ball. 30 seconds. That's all I needed. I basically got told to get bent and buy my own damn spinner as I was "making a habit" out of using his (note, I've only used his twice in the last year).

My question is, does any one else have terrible owners/PSO that they deal with on a regular basis? There is only 2 people that work the counter in our house out of 5 that actually have any customer service skills. The others have the worst attitudes I've ever seen toward someone that would spend upwards of $1000 a year on equipment and open bowling if their services would be better.

Tony
03-01-2017, 10:39 AM
So, my local house is the house that I was basically raised in. 6 nights a week growing up my family was at the lanes. I've given our owner/PSO a LOT of money over these years, and up until about 2 years ago I was still having him drill bowling balls for me, until he wasn't doing what I asked for. His attitude toward customers and regular bowlers is beyond terrible. Case in point last night.

I asked to use his ball spinner in his pro shop (something I have done a few times without any issues) to apply a bit of polish to a ball. 30 seconds. That's all I needed. I basically got told to get bent and buy my own damn spinner as I was "making a habit" out of using his (note, I've only used his twice in the last year).

My question is, does any one else have terrible owners/PSO that they deal with on a regular basis? There is only 2 people that work the counter in our house out of 5 that actually have any customer service skills. The others have the worst attitudes I've ever seen toward someone that would spend upwards of $1000 a year on equipment and open bowling if their services would be better.

It would seem like letting you use the spinner / or doing it for you shouldn't be a big issue for a regular customer. I brought a ball I bought 2 or 3 years ago to the shop I got it from and he drilled a hole and refinished it to 4000 plus added polish......my bill 0.00
Had another ball from a different shop the PSO asked me how I was doing with it, I told him I hadn't been using it much because I couldn't keep it on the right side of the lane most nights......he asked to see it....said he would be right back, went and polished it and brought it back for me to try... told me to try it and let him know what it was doing and he would make any surface change it needed to get it working for me, all no charge.

chip82901
03-01-2017, 10:48 AM
This is the kind of service I get from the other shops I go to (which are all at least 2 hours away from where I am in Wyoming). You'd think, that being the only shop within 200 miles, he'd try to maintain a decent customer aspect, but that's not the case at all. He's also made it known that he wants to sell the place (which I'm hoping someone comes up with what he's asking soon). 10 years ago he got a permit from the city to expand the alley from 16 to 24 lanes, as he owned the property next to the alley. He knocked down 2 houses, put gravel in, and that's where it stands. He was going to put in a full bar/restaurant as well as a full pro shop and add 8 lanes. Would be an instant money maker. We do have a small bar now, but after we get done bowling leagues (usually done around 10pm most nights) they kick us out of there. There is usually 10-20 guys wanting to hang around for another beer or something but they just push us out

1VegasBowler
03-01-2017, 11:55 AM
Fortunately, I have a PSO that takes great care of me and here are just a couple of examples.

A week ago Monday I played at the US Open Championships, and as my custom, I was there early. 2 hours early.

When I went to get my equipment weighed one of them. my T Zone, was out of balance. 3oz at the fingers and 1 1/2oz on the left.

The USBC officials said I could go to one of the vendors nearby and they would take care of it for a fee. No chance of that in my mind. Not paying a fee for something that won't cost me a dime.

I sent a text to my PSO and told him what happened and he immediately called the PSO @ South Point. When he called me back a couple of minutes later he said my issue will be taken care of as soon as I get there. I also learned that the ball had a manufacturers defect and he was going to order me another ball right away.

When I got to the other side of South Point, the guys there didn't think they could get it legal and it took them an hour to figure it out, but they did!

They had to drill my fingers deeper, and the balance hole on the left was so deep and angular it started to cut into my middle finger hole.

By the time they got done, it was a little over an hour later and I barely made roll call....lol

The other instance was when I went to using tape on my fingers and thumb, and the tape was his idea! lol

Every finger and thumb had to be re-done with new inserts and a couple of slugs. 2 of the balls had to be re-plugged and drilled, and they were also resurfaced.

Except for having to travel down to him, this ordeal didn't cost me a thing! Zero. Zip, Nada.

And I got a DV8 Pit Bull for nothing in the process!

How's that for having a PSO taking care of somebody!

chip82901
03-01-2017, 12:08 PM
Thats awesome! That's how you keep regulars coming back! Last ball I had punched out (storm phaze II that I won on here!), I had to go out of town anyway to a house I bowl a tourney at every year (they get a bunch of us from my town that come to it). I've been to this house a few times a year ever since I was young. The PSO/Owner, who normally doesn't work on Saturdays, came in, lined me out, punched it, and refused to take my money. Ended up staying the night that night, and watched my Wyoming Cowboys beat Boise State on the gridiron and spent a good amount of money in the bar and restaurant. That's how you keep me coming back, you take care of me, I'll take care of you

NewToBowling
03-01-2017, 12:33 PM
The shop at my local alley is the worst. Lady there has no idea what customer service is. I try not to give them a penny. In a pinch I'll use them to sand/polish but won't every get my balls drilled there or buy any of their accessories. Other people notice too because I'll kind of ask around where they get their balls drilled and haven't found anyone that actually uses that pro shop. On league night with all the lanes filled up the shop will still be empty. Word gets around.

In contrast the other shop I use the PSO is one of the nicest and best guys around. Greets you as you walk in. Explains everything to you. Is willing to take in trades, etc that other shops wouldn't. It shows as he is always busy and people like to just hang out there and talk to him. And he himself is a pretty good bowler. Name is Shawn Lee

NewToBowling
03-01-2017, 12:35 PM
Fortunately, I have a PSO that takes great care of me and here are just a couple of examples.

A week ago Monday I played at the US Open Championships, and as my custom, I was there early. 2 hours early.

When I went to get my equipment weighed one of them. my T Zone, was out of balance. 3oz at the fingers and 1 1/2oz on the left.

The USBC officials said I could go to one of the vendors nearby and they would take care of it for a fee. No chance of that in my mind. Not paying a fee for something that won't cost me a dime.

I sent a text to my PSO and told him what happened and he immediately called the PSO @ South Point. When he called me back a couple of minutes later he said my issue will be taken care of as soon as I get there. I also learned that the ball had a manufacturers defect and he was going to order me another ball right away.

When I got to the other side of South Point, the guys there didn't think they could get it legal and it took them an hour to figure it out, but they did!

They had to drill my fingers deeper, and the balance hole on the left was so deep and angular it started to cut into my middle finger hole.

By the time they got done, it was a little over an hour later and I barely made roll call....lol

The other instance was when I went to using tape on my fingers and thumb, and the tape was his idea! lol

Every finger and thumb had to be re-done with new inserts and a couple of slugs. 2 of the balls had to be re-plugged and drilled, and they were also resurfaced.

Except for having to travel down to him, this ordeal didn't cost me a thing! Zero. Zip, Nada.

And I got a DV8 Pit Bull for nothing in the process!

How's that for having a PSO taking care of somebody!

I hope you take care of him also which I'm sure you are. Drum up more business for him and/or use him exclusively. He is building a relationship but still has bills to be paid.

J Anderson
03-01-2017, 01:28 PM
This is the kind of service I get from the other shops I go to (which are all at least 2 hours away from where I am in Wyoming). You'd think, that being the only shop within 200 miles, he'd try to maintain a decent customer aspect, but that's not the case at all. He's also made it known that he wants to sell the place (which I'm hoping someone comes up with what he's asking soon). 10 years ago he got a permit from the city to expand the alley from 16 to 24 lanes, as he owned the property next to the alley. He knocked down 2 houses, put gravel in, and that's where it stands. He was going to put in a full bar/restaurant as well as a full pro shop and add 8 lanes. Would be an instant money maker. We do have a small bar now, but after we get done bowling leagues (usually done around 10pm most nights) they kick us out of there. There is usually 10-20 guys wanting to hang around for another beer or something but they just push us out

Owning the only pro shop in a 200 mile radius is the not a situation that encourages great customer service. Your competitors are a 3-4 hour drive away. How many people are going to take almost a whole day to go get fitted for a new ball. This guy's only real competition as far as bowling is concerned is the internet. Most businesses in this situation fail to realize what business they are really in and that they still have to compete for customer dollars even though there's no other bowling center for miles.

fokai73
03-01-2017, 01:29 PM
Here's the deal.... PSO's need to make money too. $2 to $200, it's income.

I had access to my PSO's tools, but I also did things for him in return. I vacuumed the carpet, organized the shelf, cleaned out the back/work area, and brought it customers. He in returned allowed me to use his shop, even taught me how to drill my own balls. He's not the ONLY PSO that did the same thing my old PSO did. Two others were so kind after I built a relationship with them. And one thing I was good at.... I BROUGHT IN CUSTOMERS for these PSO's. Not just one or two or three.... a whole team, in groups....

These PSO's were all good to me. They taught me not about bowling, but a lot more things......

CHIP, maybe your PSO is done and burnt out. Sorry he treated you this way... you're lucky to have a PSO... I don't. There are many Shops around me, but I don't like their work. Even the local best messed up my span. So right now, I rely on online PSO that have done a great job for several years now. If I need my span checked or updated, I go to a PSO several hours away, a friend of mine whom I go to once in a while.

chip82901
03-01-2017, 02:09 PM
The thing is, being in SW Wyoming, a drive to SLC to get a ball drilled just turns into a day trip to get other things that are all too expensive here. I'm not the only one that does this as I would bet 75% of the bowlers in our house do this. I would have gladly paid him a couple of bucks to use his spinner, not an issue. The issue is his attitude toward even helping anyone. There has been a few of us that have looked into buying a drill press and other items to basically start a pro shop in our area. I've had nothing but amazing customer service from the 2 shops in Utah that I have used

NewToBowling
03-01-2017, 02:56 PM
The thing is, being in SW Wyoming, a drive to SLC to get a ball drilled just turns into a day trip to get other things that are all too expensive here. I'm not the only one that does this as I would bet 75% of the bowlers in our house do this. I would have gladly paid him a couple of bucks to use his spinner, not an issue. The issue is his attitude toward even helping anyone. There has been a few of us that have looked into buying a drill press and other items to basically start a pro shop in our area. I've had nothing but amazing customer service from the 2 shops in Utah that I have used

Sound like a perfect candidate to use online driller. BowlingBall.com or other internet retailers are an option. Just send in your spec sheet or drilled bowling ball and they will try to match

JasonNJ
03-01-2017, 02:59 PM
Sound like a perfect candidate to use online driller. BowlingBall.com or other internet retailers are an option. Just send in your spec sheet or drilled bowling ball and they will try to match

Bowlingball.com does great work drilling. Also Buddies Pro Shop also does great drilling and in both cases, they will pay shipping for you to ship a ball to them and they will copy your specs.

bigt_45
03-01-2017, 03:43 PM
That's really sad to hear, a good Pro Shop is priceless. I guess I'm spoiled with Mike Wolfes Pro Shops here as they have all been great to me so far. Pricing is a little steep but the service and advice is on point.

chip82901
03-01-2017, 06:25 PM
I don't have an issue with seeing a shop out of town. That's not a big deal to me. The online guys probably do a great job, I just prefer a face to face, same guy drilling my stuff, knows just what I like kind of thing.