PDA

View Full Version : anyone bowl well when least expected?

fokai73
03-01-2017, 06:23 PM
Ever had that experience when you bowled really well when you least expected to?

We must all think positive every time we bowl, but when you're not feeling well, or rushed to leagues after work and the teams are waiting for you and no warm ups. it seems hard to think you'll bowl well. Or, emotionally stressed and your mind is somewhere else beside bowling. Have you ever down really well in situations not prime for good bowling?

I suffered bad allergies and a cold one night, I wasn't feeling all too well. I almost went home to rest instead of bowl. Well, I shot 11 that night for 700 even.

About 6 years ago, i wasn't myself when I went to bowl leagues. There was a death in the family and I just didn't have the heart to bowl. well, so I thought. That night I shot a 300.

My friend got fired from his job and thought about leaving the team after the break. He was down and out that night he arrived. He struggled all year too.... but He just went up to the approach and started throwing the ball into the pocket. He couldn't miss. He shot a very high 700 series which was his first one after couple of years. He didn't expect this, but it had happened.....

what's your story?

KYDave
03-01-2017, 08:22 PM
I usually bowl bad when I expect to bowl good.

I think a lot of it there is so much on your mind you just go into auto pilot mode and bowl. Sometimes the more you think about what you are doing the worse it gets.

I forget who did the study, but doing rev calculations and when they asked people to try and reduce the revs they actually threw more not trying as hard.

got_a_300
03-01-2017, 08:33 PM
Yes I've went in to bowl a few times and felt so bad all I really wanted to do
was go back home and go to bed and rest/sleep but bowled anyway and I've
had some great games and series when I've felt like that.

Timmyb
03-01-2017, 09:35 PM
Last night. Shot 704, after having been up since 2:30 in the morning, on 4 hours of sleep. I had to be reminded several times to go bowl because I had stopped paying attention.

foreverincamo
03-01-2017, 10:16 PM
I've bowled well while sick, or extremely tired from work.

Hawk
03-01-2017, 10:34 PM
When I cuss someone out along the way to the bowling center, I have some of my best games..

1VegasBowler
03-02-2017, 02:00 AM
Tonight was a good example for me.

During the 10 min of practice I tweaked my slide knee (the one to be replaced) and started the night with a 159.

Game 2 I made a ball change to my Vandal for the first 9 frames but noticed a bit of over read on the friction and went to the BTU and finished with a 195.

Game 3 I stayed with the BTU and had a 232.

I almost didn't start game 2 because the knee hurt so bad (still does), but ended up with a good finish.

fokai73
03-02-2017, 12:21 PM
Tonight was a good example for me.

During the 10 min of practice I tweaked my slide knee (the one to be replaced) and started the night with a 159.

Game 2 I made a ball change to my Vandal for the first 9 frames but noticed a bit of over read on the friction and went to the BTU and finished with a 195.

Game 3 I stayed with the BTU and had a 232.

I almost didn't start game 2 because the knee hurt so bad (still does), but ended up with a good finish.

Just take it easy. Last thing I don't want to hear from you, is you really hurting yourself before surgery. good finish!

fokai73
03-02-2017, 12:25 PM
When I cuss someone out along the way to the bowling center, I have some of my best games..

this doesn't relate to the topic. you're expecting to bowl well after cussing at someone for no reason it seems.

1VegasBowler
03-02-2017, 02:16 PM
Just take it easy. Last thing I don't want to hear from you, is you really hurting yourself before surgery. good finish!

I've changed my approach and release to compensate for the knee and shoulder.

And while I'm not walking on egg shells, (yet..lol), there isn't much more left to get hurt, that's why I made the adjustments.

The pain I was in last night is gone (thank god).

Thanks for the good words :)

Tony
03-04-2017, 01:23 AM
Seems to happen on occasion, a couple of weeks ago had strained my back and wasn't sure I could bowl, even had a buddy come down to be available to sub if I had to back out in warm ups. Went out and got the first 8 and ended up with a 268....wasn't expecting that.

Some of the best advice I've ever heard was " quit thinking and just go up and throw the ball" over thinking what we're doing on the lanes is sometimes our biggest issue.

foreverincamo
03-04-2017, 04:24 PM
Just this past league night I went in with a super sore foot. Not my slide foot but it screamed every time I hit it wrong when pushing into the slide. Threw over average every game and shot 649.

SAbowler
03-06-2017, 02:12 PM
I sure didn't expect to bowl well last night... I left my bag at home and didn't realize it until I was about a block away from the bowling center. Luckily I had one ball still in the trunk, a Hammer Scandal, but no shoes. I had to borrow a pair from the house, and boy were they beat up! During practice, they were super tacky and I was unable to slide at all. This was throwing my timing off and I was grabbing the ball at release and lofting down lane a fair bit. luckily after a coupe of shots, I started getting used to planting and my swing got looser. The first part of game 1 was rough, but I wound up finishing with a hambone for a 185 game. Second game was a 213 and third was a 227. All for a 625 which, to date, is my highest series at this particular house. Go figure!

chip82901
03-07-2017, 11:22 AM
A few years ago, a tournament in Wyo usually falls around my birthday, and the facility always takes care of us out of town bowlers when we come up. Just so happened, the last weekend of the tourney, also contained my 25th birthday. I got a little drunk that Saturday night, slept in a chair with me feet kicked up on a bed. Woke up incredibly sore, walked over to the bowling alley, laced up my shoes, and shot lights out lol. Needed the front 10 the last game to win the tourney, threw the front nine then ripped a 10 pin. Ended up taking 3rd and getting a nice $600 check in the mail.