PDA

View Full Version : 2 balls, suggestions?

jbultman
03-02-2017, 09:12 PM
2 balls, suggestions?
« on: Today at 08:04:44 PM »
QuoteModifyRemove
2 hander. I don't bowl tournaments only open bowl and leagues. THP, will experience dry and medium oil patterns.

Looking for a 2 balls, one I can play right of the oil, like a urethane. And one I can play through the oil and allow it to hook in. Basically a stronger ball. I lovey buddies dare devil, but don't want to spend that much.

I will use the urethane/weaker ball for a spare ball as I don't need a plastic ball yet, might be getting one in a fun have a ball leave so take that into account.

Thanks for the help!!

1VegasBowler
03-02-2017, 09:19 PM
The Fanatic BTU is good on all of the conditions you mentioned, and with the price around $125 you could get 2 of them with different drillings and you'd be set.

J Anderson
03-02-2017, 09:41 PM
2 balls, suggestions?
« on: Today at 08:04:44 PM »
QuoteModifyRemove
2 hander. I don't bowl tournaments only open bowl and leagues. THP, will experience dry and medium oil patterns.

Looking for a 2 balls, one I can play right of the oil, like a urethane. And one I can play through the oil and allow it to hook in. Basically a stronger ball. I lovey buddies dare devil, but don't want to spend that much.

I will use the urethane/weaker ball for a spare ball as I don't need a plastic ball yet, might be getting one in a fun have a ball leave so take that into account.

Thanks for the help!!

After watching a teammate miss four spares the other night because his ball did not hook as expected I am even more convinced that every bowler needs a spare ball.

jbultman
03-02-2017, 10:02 PM
After watching a teammate miss four spares the other night because his ball did not hook as expected I am even more convinced that every bowler needs a spare ball.

I agree that a spare ball is where it's at! However currently I'm thinking about joining a have a ball league for fun with family. And I could get a plastic spare ball from that for cheap. So the urethane is a temporary solution. Not final answer

Why the BTU? What is special about that one rather than the hammer ones?

1VegasBowler
03-02-2017, 10:34 PM
I agree that a spare ball is where it's at! However currently I'm thinking about joining a have a ball league for fun with family. And I could get a plastic spare ball from that for cheap. So the urethane is a temporary solution. Not final answer

Why the BTU? What is special about that one rather than the hammer ones?

BTU = Better Than Urethane.

Traditional urethane balls make their move in the first 25ft and they carry the oil down with them.

Where as the BTU doesn't start making its move until it's at the end of the pattern, does not over read friction with a very slow response to the pocket yet getting to the pocket very nicely.

It is a very continuous ball that gets a lot of pin action, and instead of carrying oil down with it, it absorbs the oil.

Check out the video from Lane Side Reviews, and you'll see what I'm talking about ------> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSJvyj-EgDM

KYDave
03-02-2017, 11:30 PM
I'm sure Jim will agree. You could set up an arsenal using just the Fanatic line!

What do you have now? Might be easier to add 1 to instead of buying 2 new ones.

1VegasBowler
03-03-2017, 12:34 AM
I'm sure Jim will agree. You could set up an arsenal using just the Fanatic line!

Am I that obvious?? lmao

The Fanatic line is a great line to have, with the SS definitely on my radar.

jbultman
03-03-2017, 05:25 AM

I currently as bowling with a Columbia 300 Nitrous. With the polish removed. And an old school CSI hypower. But I want to bump up weights. The Nitrous is 14# I want 15# and the Hypower well, let just come into this century!

Tony
03-03-2017, 07:43 AM
As two different PSO's told me, the BTU isn't like the old urethane's the new one's have a weight block.

Didn't convince me to get one .....yet.....maybe in the future, after I've seen some more local guys having success with them.

If you're good at throwing a ball that's supposed to hook, straight, then it would be a good enough spare ball.
Even my teammate who's been bowling carrying one ball for the last 30 years is considering adding a plastic ball after missing a few 10 pins, and seeing me and another teammate picking up a much higher percentage since adding a real spare ball.

fordman1
03-03-2017, 10:37 AM
If I had to go buy two new balls because mine were stolen I would buy a
Storm Alpha Crux
Storm Match

jbultman
03-03-2017, 01:43 PM
I like the idea of the BTU. however will I be able to play it right of the oil, would it just need to be drilled differently? Sorry I'm sort of new to this stuff, don't really know alot.

What other ball would you guys suggest? I was looking at something like the Brunswick Fanatic-ish. Little stronger ball I can play right and through the oil and have it flair enough to hit the pocket

1VegasBowler
03-03-2017, 03:58 PM
I like the idea of the BTU. however will I be able to play it right of the oil, would it just need to be drilled differently? Sorry I'm sort of new to this stuff, don't really know alot.

What other ball would you guys suggest? I was looking at something like the Brunswick Fanatic-ish. Little stronger ball I can play right and through the oil and have it flair enough to hit the pocket

It's all good.

You can use the BTU in the oil or away from the oil.

The drilling angle that I have is the same one in our video and it allows me to play up 10, up 15, 15-10, and has enough flare from any of those spots to get to the pocket. It will be slow doing it, but it gets there, and as a low speed, low rev player I have no issue with it making it to the pocket.

It also has a ton of energy at the back end for great continuation and pin action.

jbultman
03-03-2017, 05:01 PM
I went to the shop today and they suggested staying with 14# and getting a hammer rebel solid. Thoughts?

I just found, local, a 15# rotogrip wrecker and rotogrip asylum. Thoughts on that set?

chip82901
03-03-2017, 06:32 PM
Being a 2 hander myself, my current arsenal is a Phaze II, Phaze, Street Fight, and Pitch Blue, along with a white dot. I bowl on a 40ft THS most of the time in my house, and bowl several tournaments as well. I'm about 16.7-17.2 at the back end, and about a 450 rev rate. I'll start the night usually with either my Phaze II or Street Fight, depending on the look in practice and who I'm bowling against. If people are going to be blowing up the 10 board (pretty standard here), I'll start with my street fight and go about 15-10 with it and bank it off where they are. As the night progresses, I can either ball up and move left and keep banking, or if that goes away, I will grab my Pitch Blue and move outside (usually straight down 4-5 works great). Keep in mind, with urethane, it IS going to want to move as soon as it finds friction. If the front of the lane is going away, urethane won't be much help. If that happens, I usually move deep with a Phaze II as it will burn up a bit before it gets down lane.

jbultman
03-03-2017, 06:39 PM
Being a 2 hander myself, my current arsenal is a Phaze II, Phaze, Street Fight, and Pitch Blue, along with a white dot. I bowl on a 40ft THS most of the time in my house, and bowl several tournaments as well. I'm about 16.7-17.2 at the back end, and about a 450 rev rate. I'll start the night usually with either my Phaze II or Street Fight, depending on the look in practice and who I'm bowling against. If people are going to be blowing up the 10 board (pretty standard here), I'll start with my street fight and go about 15-10 with it and bank it off where they are. As the night progresses, I can either ball up and move left and keep banking, or if that goes away, I will grab my Pitch Blue and move outside (usually straight down 4-5 works great). Keep in mind, with urethane, it IS going to want to move as soon as it finds friction. If the front of the lane is going away, urethane won't be much help. If that happens, I usually move deep with a Phaze II as it will burn up a bit before it gets down lane.

That's awesome, thanks! What's our thought on what my shop recommended, 14# rebel solid and keep my nitrous 14#?

Or the move to 15# and go with rotogrip wrecker and rotogrip asylum

chip82901
03-03-2017, 06:56 PM
I throw 14# myself. I threw 15# for many years, but with the more aggressive equipment, I dropped to 14# to keep ball speed up.

As for the rebel solid, it will be pretty dang aggressive. Its at 2000 grit. If you were to go with this, I'd suggest changing the surface to 4000 to tame it down a bit.

I've been throwing storm equipment now for the last 2 years, before that was throwing pyramid, so I don't know much about the other brands. The nitrous is a lower end pearl sym ball, which would be good for your drier conditions. I was a big fan of C300 growing up (loved the flipside series!). But, keep in mind with the surface, 2000 polished. If you're looking for something that will get you through an entire night, I'd check out something like a Storm Match Pearl (lower end pearl) or even the new Torrent (2000 solid). But, that's coming from someone that gets a good look from Storm equipment as well. I've thrown just about every brand over the years and I've found what works for me.

chip82901
03-03-2017, 06:57 PM
Also, the wrecker wasn't a bad ball, but a lot of people didn't like it. I like what I'm seeing out of the Wreck-em though. Looks great going down the lane, and would be a good ball to go to when the lanes start to transition

jbultman
03-03-2017, 07:12 PM
Also, the wrecker wasn't a bad ball, but a lot of people didn't like it. I like what I'm seeing out of the Wreck-em though. Looks great going down the lane, and would be a good ball to go to when the lanes start to transition

The pro shop actually recommended a non-pearl ball specifically the wreck-it, the rebel solid or the game breaker.
I like the reasoning behind keeping a 14#. No reason to try too hard. What about 14# wreck-it and 14# wreck-em and sell the nitrous? Or for that matter wreck it and nitrous?

djp1080
03-03-2017, 07:55 PM
I was lucky enough to have won a Wreck-It ball here. It has a matte finish and it reads the lanes very early. It has good continuation on the back end. Great reaction for the money; however, it was too much for me to handle. So I took some Storm Reacta Shine to it and it had about the right amount of length like I like. My feeling is that the Wreck-Em would be good, too; however, I don't see any need for the both of them in your or my bag. Just changing the finish with an Abralon pad or some polish will get your ball working like you'd like IMHO. Good luck!

jbultman
03-03-2017, 10:08 PM
I was lucky enough to have won a Wreck-It ball here. It has a matte finish and it reads the lanes very early. It has good continuation on the back end. Great reaction for the money; however, it was too much for me to handle. So I took some Storm Reacta Shine to it and it had about the right amount of length like I like. My feeling is that the Wreck-Em would be good, too; however, I don't see any need for the both of them in your or my bag. Just changing the finish with an Abralon pad or some polish will get your ball working like you'd like IMHO. Good luck!

What do you suggest then I put/ have in my bag?

djp1080
03-03-2017, 11:52 PM
Keep the Nitrous and add the Wreck-It at 14 or 15#. Like I said the Wreck-It has a great reaction for the money and it'll handle the oil just fine. If it reads too early, polish it up with Reacta Shine.