PDA

View Full Version : Impressions of new EBI balls from demo yesterday

KYDave
03-05-2017, 09:41 AM
First of all, it was local and free. Win!

This on on brand new Brunswick Anvilanes that were freshly ran for the demo.

Stats avg:

Me: 16 at pins/350/med AR med AT
Brian: 14 at pins/225/med AR low AT
Britt: 11 at pins full roller

1. Hammer Phobia- Good ball. For me it had a fair amount of length and despite being touted as angular, it was smooth off the spot. Clean thru the front. Brian did not like it. Britt loved it.

2. Hammer Gauntlet- Great ball. Clean thru the front. Big move on the back end. Moderate angularity. Even on the fresh you had to keep this ball in the heavy part of the oil. Brian just picked this up last weekend and loves it. Britt really likes.

3. Track Cyborg pearl- My #2. Stronger than I expected. Clean thru the front, read lane sooner than expected and was smoother than expected. Brian and Britt both liked and ranked top 3.

4. Track Mako- None of us liked this one. I expected big things from this ball. Tried several different lines and never seemed to read the lane.

KYDave
03-05-2017, 09:52 AM
5. Ebonite Maverick solid and pearl. I didn't care for this ball. It was underwhelming and seemed very forward off the spot. Solid was a little better, but did nothing for me. Britt liked the pearl but not the solid (over/under), Brian did not like either.

6. C300 Tyrant Pearl- Had a decent look with this ball. Had to keep my angles tight or it did not want to recover. Moderate angularity but not a big move in the back. Brian loved it, his #1. Britt really liked it but did not hook much for her.

7. C300 Impulse- Saved the best for last. I loved this ball. Far and away #1 for me. Way stronger than expected. It starts picking up in the mid lane and makes a strong boomy move to the pocket. I could play way out to 5 and recover or play 15 and hold line. Had quite a few messengers with this ball. Really good carry even on weak hits. Brian thought it was ok. Britt did not like. She had 0 hook with this ball. She said it would be good for picking up 10 pins lol.

Overall a fun day. Also met Bigt_45 and his cousin from here. Good people.

Thanks for reading, maybe someone can find something useful from this.

foreverincamo
03-05-2017, 10:31 PM
Sounds like a super fun day. Never heard of a free demo. Most charge around $20 around me just to get in the door

bigt_45
03-06-2017, 08:30 AM
Nice meeting you as well, was a great time! And yes, 2 hours and around 50+ frames of bowling with new balls on fresh lanes at no charge was a treat for sure. I wasn't blown away by any of the balls, but being brand new to the sport and I think I went in with false expectations. I've only ever thrown my middle of the road Storm Wipeout ball and none of these demo balls out performed it from what I could tell. I normally bowl with my left foot at the middle dot and aim for the second arrow, kind of down and in. At the demo I bowled with my left foot at the second to left dot and aimed between the second and third arrow, similar breakpoint down lane but I rarely could get a ball to come back to the pocket on this line. People were saying this was because the balls are all drilled neutral, will a 55x5x35 drilling make these balls a few boards stronger and get me back to the pocket? Overall, my favorites were the Tyrant Pearl and the Impulse as they were the most angular and that was what I'm looking to add to compliment my smooth Storm. I also was not impressed with either of the Mavericks, which surprised me.

KYDave
03-06-2017, 06:15 PM
Yes drilling and surface will make a big difference, but it isn't going to make a ball into something that it is not if that makes sense.

The times I had watched you it looked like a lot of the balls never got into a roll or was too slow of response to friction. Def smaller drill and val would help you with this.

Next time I am out bowling and you are able to come I'd love for you to try my No Rules and DareDevil. They sound like what you would really like.

bigt_45
03-07-2017, 12:17 PM
Thanks for the tip, I thought that too. Late roll and slower response to the dry is what I have seemed to struggle with ever since I found my comfort zone for approach and release. I know it has a lot to do with me but having an arsenal that helps me get to the pocket the way I need to would really help my sanity!

KYDave
03-07-2017, 11:07 PM
Update:

Going up to my shop in Muncie on the 18th. They are having the same EBI demo plus 4 more balls. Brian and Britt both really want to try the Kinetic Emerald and GB2 Phenom Pearl. Either way they decide to go the balls up there are so much cheaper it well more than pays for itself. Especially when buying more than 1.

I loved the Impulse so much I decided to have him order me one. Now I need to decide on a layout. I had such great success with the demo layout I'm almost afraid to change it. But maybe a slight tweak would benefit. I will discuss and get his opinion. I believe EBI staff will be on hand as well.

KYDave
03-07-2017, 11:13 PM
Thanks for the tip, I thought that too. Late roll and slower response to the dry is what I have seemed to struggle with ever since I found my comfort zone for approach and release. I know it has a lot to do with me but having an arsenal that helps me get to the pocket the way I need to would really help my sanity!

Oh for sure. If I remember correctly doesn't your wipeout have a bit of an unusual layout on it with your pap? We could also try some surface changes as well in the meantime to see if you like it better. Either way it isn't easy to get a good look at exec during open bowling. Following a league is almost better lol.

bigt_45
03-08-2017, 11:49 AM
Oh for sure. If I remember correctly doesn't your wipeout have a bit of an unusual layout on it with your pap? We could also try some surface changes as well in the meantime to see if you like it better. Either way it isn't easy to get a good look at exec during open bowling. Following a league is almost better lol.

It does. The pin is to the right and the CG is in the grip midline so the angle is like 115 degrees, I wish the pin was closer to the bridge and the CG was kicked out to the right some. Just bought a used DV8 Thug on the cheap with my span and that layout so we'll see how that goes soon. Sunday I soaked my Wipe Out and took it down to 1000 grit abalone, worked okay last night at the VIP lanes. I still have to slow my speed and really roll my hand but it works, just doesn't hit as hard as I need it to for better carry.

KYDave
03-09-2017, 09:34 PM
Nice find!

Everyone that I've talked to that has owned a ball from the Thug line have really liked it.

Let me know how it does for you!