PDA

View Full Version : Rev rate is as important as accuracy

fokai73
03-06-2017, 03:02 AM
I used to believe being 300 +/- 15 was enough to compete with the higher rev rate and higher caliber players (225-235). Granted, I've placed/cashed being the low rev guy against these guys w/ or w/o cards, it could of been more happy endings if I had that edge. More revs, the thing chicks dig!!

After years of dreaming I can be Duke like in the environment I bowl in/with, I realized accuracy and my skill level at the time wasn't enough. There was that edge I didn't have that others had. That was having higher revrate. Though I was guilty of saying to others, accuracy trumps high revrate while secretly trying to increase mine.

Others, if not many, will disagree with me on this. Unless you're accurate like Duke, or like my friend at 220+ with 300 or less rev rate - it's tough to compete with two handed bowlers and with one handers with 350-500 rpm.l

Over the years I've increased my revrate. No I'm not 400 and I'm not 300 either. But I do have enough revs to compete longer compared to past experiences. Increasing my rev rate didn't make the game easier just because it gave me more "Area". It actually forced me to develop my other skills even more. For example, paying more attention to transition and trying to stay ahead of it. Play different areas of the lane, from the twig to the 5th arrow. To understanding my equipment even more due to more separation with higher revrate.

This didn't happen over night. I had sought professional help from gold/silver coaches and guys who had drilled out of the trucks. Not once did I asked them to help me increase my revrate, rather to improve my game. The revs came after. I used every tool I can get my hands on. From countless drills and many video taking. To the rev trainer and other bowling training tools; to a friend whom I helped coach who then taught me his release. Yo - yo Ma!

I was told I couldn't increase my rev rate by many. That I should take advantage of being accurate. Well, that was bull doo doo. Those with higher rev rate do have the advantage. Those who can control their rev rate, increase it or decrease at will, do have advantages. Accuracy alone isn't good enough. Increasing your rev rate to your highest peak level and being accurate at the same time should be everyone's goal.

I was 28 when I returned to bowling and I'm in my mid 40's. If I can do it, many others can to. To use age as a reason for not trying and you're healthy, is a bad excuse.

bigt_45
03-06-2017, 08:37 AM
I'd love to increase my revs and cover a few more boards, what did you find most helpful in adding revs to your release?

got_a_300
03-06-2017, 02:28 PM
Yes I'll agree sometimes a super high rev rate can be an advantage but it
can also be a disadvantage on certain lane conditions. Back in the late 80's
thru the late 90's I was a super high rev guy and Belmo and Tommy Jones
would not have had a thing on me back then as I was at 600+ revs myself
doing it one handed too as there was no two handed bowling back then.

The times I could find enough oil on the lanes I had a direct advantage over
the other bowlers but when the lanes were on the dry side the lower rev and
more accurate guys had a big advantage over me as even a plastic ball would
over hook on me back then.

Fast forward to today and after having back problems and taking 12 years off
from bowling and getting older I'm only around a 400+ - rev bowler now days
and I'm a lot more accurate than I was back then so that helps.

So to be either a high rev (spray and pray) type bowler now days or be a lower
rev and more accurate bowler I'll take the latter myself.

fokai73
03-06-2017, 03:29 PM
I'd love to increase my revs and cover a few more boards, what did you find most helpful in adding revs to your release?

I'd say being able to play different areas on the lanes, from the twig to sliding in front of the left gutter cap. Also being able to use weak, lower end equipment including plastic when need to. Two weeks ago I used my spare ball in the third game to save face/series/points in the last game for 220'ish game.

Last week after shooting 479 the first two games, the heads just blew up and I left back to back to back splits after moving left each time, which wasn't enough. I switched balls and moved further left than everyone else sliding just on the left edge of the gutter to go sheet the last 5 frames for a big 194!!! lol If I didn't have enough revs, I wouldn't be able to play that deep and slap the 10 out.

fokai73
03-06-2017, 03:37 PM
Yes I'll agree sometimes a super high rev rate can be an advantage but it
can also be a disadvantage on certain lane conditions. Back in the late 80's
thru the late 90's I was a super high rev guy and Belmo and Tommy Jones
would not have had a thing on me back then as I was at 600+ revs myself
doing it one handed too as there was no two handed bowling back then.

The times I could find enough oil on the lanes I had a direct advantage over
the other bowlers but when the lanes were on the dry side the lower rev and
more accurate guys had a big advantage over me as even a plastic ball would
over hook on me back then.

Fast forward to today and after having back problems and taking 12 years off
from bowling and getting older I'm only around a 400+ - rev bowler now days
and I'm a lot more accurate than I was back then so that helps.

So to be either a high rev (spray and pray) type bowler now days or be a lower
rev and more accurate bowler I'll take the latter myself.

I love watching the seniors bowl. there are several guys who just are very accurate. They just don't know when to move, adjust, and read lanes. But they hit the second arrow and the marker at 40-43' down lane!! A lot of ppl can hit the second arrow, but the ball will not always get to the 10th board down lane at the end of the pattern. for example.

Or the other guys who are rev dominant. Their speed is 13mph with high rev rate and swinging balls out to 5 then come back!! Or use a cored plastic ball going up the boards.

Both accuracy and revs are important, and having either one is fine. But to have that "edge", having both is a big plus.

KYDave
03-06-2017, 06:33 PM
I am a big believer in revs also. I've been able to vary my release to change revs quite a bit depending on where I am playing after a lot of practice and late nights of youtube. Back in the day if I had to move left of 20 with my feet I was done. I can also vary my axis rotation pretty well also which has come in handy.

Now on the other hand, adjusting tilt I still have quite a bit of difficulty. My timing has still been horrible. I start ok and end ok, but the middle 2 steps are a mess. Having nerve damage in my right foot I have trouble getting my 2nd step long enough. I've tried and tried to get it better but have yet to be successful.

Also my accuracy has not been as good and speed down a little when I rip on it. Still working on it. I don't think I will ever be to the point where I don't think I can improve something.

bigt_45
03-07-2017, 12:35 PM
I'd say being able to play different areas on the lanes, from the twig to sliding in front of the left gutter cap. Also being able to use weak, lower end equipment including plastic when need to. Two weeks ago I used my spare ball in the third game to save face/series/points in the last game for 220'ish game.

Last week after shooting 479 the first two games, the heads just blew up and I left back to back to back splits after moving left each time, which wasn't enough. I switched balls and moved further left than everyone else sliding just on the left edge of the gutter to go sheet the last 5 frames for a big 194!!! lol If I didn't have enough revs, I wouldn't be able to play that deep and slap the 10 out.

Sorry, I guess I should have phrased that question differently. What tips did you use and find most helpful to actually increase your revs?

Tony
03-07-2017, 03:32 PM
If you get right down to it, the actual truth is that rev rate while it can be a big advantage is not as important as accuracy, just compare scores from a guy with a low rev rate who is in the pocket all game compared to a guy with massive revs who misses the pocket all game ..... the low rev player will win the highest percentage of those contests, in reality a combination of both is best but for my money I would take the accurate guy.

If you can maintain the current level of accuracy and increase revs obviously that's great, but if you told me I could increase revs, but only if I sacrifice considerable accuracy, I would pass on the deal.

mishatx
03-07-2017, 05:13 PM
Rev rate vs accuracy is sort of the bowling version of "drive for show, putt for dough". A higher rev rate can make things easier, and give you more options, but in the long run, accuracy probably matters more.

fokai73
03-07-2017, 08:25 PM
Sorry, I guess I should have phrased that question differently. What tips did you use and find most helpful to actually increase your revs?

I"m sorry I miss understood.

I really can't say which particular tips or drills that helped. This whole thing was a process I've done over the years. Kinda like gathering ingredients for a recipe. Parts of my game had to be tuned up, and little by little did the rev rate increase.

the one particular advice, or revelation, was when Mark Baker pointed out my right hip dipping as I took my "deep" knee bend. As I got into my power step and into my slide, my right hip would move downward, kinda like a plane landing and then level off. When I did this, my hand would also start turning as I got into this position and direction. The crazy think is, on my spare game, I do not dip my hips. I am more upright and my hips slides forward. Thus, my hand is behind the ball and I roll end over end easy.

So fixing this flaw helped me stay behind/inside the ball longer and it boosted the learning process and result. And the turn to the outside as I released the ball, was EVEN SMALLER of a TURN vs.when I turned my hand early. yet I generated more revs in a smaller turn of my hand. lol.

fokai73
03-07-2017, 08:45 PM
check the individual standings in large big money leagues, and count how many low rev bowlers under 300 rpms are in the top 10 vs the higher rev rate bowlers. (None card holders)

Unless the person is a professional/tour bowler, I highly doubt many joe the low rev bowler would out place higher rev bowlers with or without accuracy.

Increasribg rev rate IS as important as being accurate.

Tony
03-08-2017, 12:41 AM
check the individual standings in large big money leagues, and count how many low rev bowlers under 300 rpms are in the top 10 vs the higher rev rate bowlers. (None card holders)

Unless the person is a professional/tour bowler, I highly doubt many joe the low rev bowler would out place higher rev bowlers with or without accuracy.

Increasribg rev rate IS as important as being accurate.

I understand what you mean, it's just literally without some reasonable degree of accuracy all the revs don't make the difference....it would be like saying bat speed is as important as contact percentage in baseball.....if your accuracy / contact percentage is poor all the bat speed / revs in the world can not fix it. That's all I'm trying to say.

You can cite all the tournament or PBA stats you want, but all of those guys have good accuracy or they wouldn't be there. Can rev rate carry bad shots, sure it can, but not if the player makes consistently bad (inaccurate) shots, they wouldn't be anywhere near the leader-board, they would be the high rev 150 average bowlers, we have several in leagues I'm in, two handers with tons of revs but lower accuracy....
In golf think of the huge distance drives, that land a fairway away from the hole you're on....lack of accuracy, that's why John Daly wasn't the top golfer on the tour.

If the statement was if you have good accuracy the best way to improve your game would be to maintain the accuracy and increase the revs.....that makes perfect sense. Just my take on it, no disrespect intended.

Amyers
03-08-2017, 11:22 AM
The real answer is all are equally useless without the other. Accuracy, Ball Speed, and Rev Rate are instrumental in bowling. You can be very accurate and have high speed but if you cant make the ball move it wont hit well. You can be have a high rev rate and speed but if you spray it all over the lane you cant be consistent. Even high rev and accurate without the speed make it hard to keep it on the lane and carry at the finish.

It takes a balance of all three to bowl at a high level. If any of three are out of balance to the others it will cause issues

fokai73
03-08-2017, 12:00 PM
The real answer is all are equally useless without the other. Accuracy, Ball Speed, and Rev Rate are instrumental in bowling. You can be very accurate and have high speed but if you cant make the ball move it wont hit well. You can be have a high rev rate and speed but if you spray it all over the lane you cant be consistent. Even high rev and accurate without the speed make it hard to keep it on the lane and carry at the finish.

It takes a balance of all three to bowl at a high level. If any of three are out of balance to the others it will cause issues

you are absolutely right, but this post was merely for those who have low revs and who think they can get away with just accuracy. That high rev rate is over rated. Ball speed is equally important that's for sure. But, many bowlers say they can adjust ball speed, but many don't really know how to use it. But that's another topic.