PDA

View Full Version : Finger tip grip

drlawsoniii
03-09-2017, 01:06 PM
Ok so my buddy carries a 195 average using a conventional grip playing almost all the way in the right gutter and throwing is tropical breeze almost straight. (RH) He is interested in getting a new ball as his breeze is about 8 years old, we want him to get a finger tip grip on a new ball, but I want to know what is the best / cheapest way to go about it. Should he have his ball plugged and re-drilled fingertip so that the PSO can check his track and form? Or should the PSO just be able to pick a ball and layout for him without seeing him throw with the correct grip?

Thanks,

Rob

Amyers
03-09-2017, 01:30 PM
I would just buy a new ball with a generic layout. His release is likely to change as he gets used to the fingertip so why spend the money for the plug and redrill on a 8 year old ball. I would suggest leaning towards the middle less expensive route or if the PSO can get something on clearance for him

panbanger
03-09-2017, 02:05 PM
You say "we" want him to get fingertip grips, but what does HE want? If he doesn't really want to switch to a different grip he's going to be salty if he has trouble adjusting to it.

J Anderson
03-09-2017, 02:06 PM
I would just buy a new ball with a generic layout. His release is likely to change as he gets used to the fingertip so why spend the money for the plug and redrill on a 8 year old ball. I would suggest leaning towards the middle less expensive route or if the PSO can get something on clearance for him

I agree. I admit that the cheapskate in me would be tempted to plug and redrill, use this ball so the PSO can find my PAP, then buy a more agressive ball after getting used to the new grip. The problem would be that the redrilled ball should now have more hook and therefore would not be as good as a spare ball.

drlawsoniii
03-09-2017, 02:42 PM
You say "we" want him to get fingertip grips, but what does HE want? If he doesn't really want to switch to a different grip he's going to be salty if he has trouble adjusting to it.

We as in his other friend and I, my friend wants to learn to throw a with a fingertip so that he has a better opportunity to carry. He's very very accurate but doesn't get the pin action he would get if he could get some revs on the ball.

Tony
03-10-2017, 10:18 PM
I wouldn't touch his current ball, just order a new medium level ball and keep the old one as it, it will take some time to get used to throwing a fingertip / hook ball and he might want to use the new ball in practice, while still using the old ball for leagues, at least until he gets up to speed with the new ball.
I bowled with guy who tried the same thing a few years ago, he never did use the new ball with fingertips in league, well not until he plugged it and re-drilled it to be a conventional ball.

mishatx
03-12-2017, 02:20 PM
I agree - drill a new ball, and keep using the old one in competition. His average will go down while he adjusts to fingertip.

J Anderson
03-12-2017, 09:27 PM
I wouldn't touch his current ball, just order a new medium level ball and keep the old one as it, it will take some time to get used to throwing a fingertip / hook ball and he might want to use the new ball in practice, while still using the old ball for leagues, at least until he gets up to speed with the new ball.
I bowled with guy who tried the same thing a few years ago, he never did use the new ball with fingertips in league, well not until he plugged it and re-drilled it to be a conventional ball.

This is why drlawsoniii and his friends should make sure their teammates old ball "disappears" after he gets the new one. If the fit of the new ball is good, it will take very little time to get used to the feel of throwing with a fingertip grip. It may take a bit longer figure out what line to play with it, but as long as he has the old one, the temptation to the sure nine drop rather than risk a split, a bucket or a washout will be there.

Tony
03-13-2017, 01:14 AM
This is why drlawsoniii and his friends should make sure their teammates old ball "disappears" after he gets the new one. If the fit of the new ball is good, it will take very little time to get used to the feel of throwing with a fingertip grip. It may take a bit longer figure out what line to play with it, but as long as he has the old one, the temptation to the sure nine drop rather than risk a split, a bucket or a washout will be there.

I understand your point, however in my opinion the buddy needs to decide for himself what kind of ball to throw and his friends shouldn't railroad him into what they have decided is best for him. At least that's what I would expect of any of my pals.....

J Anderson
03-13-2017, 09:19 AM
I understand your point, however in my opinion the buddy needs to decide for himself what kind of ball to throw and his friends shouldn't railroad him into what they have decided is best for him. At least that's what I would expect of any of my pals.....

If you read Rob's response to panbanger, his friend does want to learn to throw with a finger tip grip. The best way is almost always to make a full commitment to doing so. If he bowls in a 'serious', i.e. An "I can't afford to risk having two bad weeks in a row" league, he might want to wait until the end of the season to get the new ball. If it's not that serious a league, he should buy it now and get used to it asap. Then he'll be all set to kick some serious butt in a summer league.

Tony
03-13-2017, 09:34 AM
If you read Rob's response to panbanger, his friend does want to learn to throw with a finger tip grip. The best way is almost always to make a full commitment to doing so. If he bowls in a 'serious', i.e. An "I can't afford to risk having two bad weeks in a row" league, he might want to wait until the end of the season to get the new ball. If it's not that serious a league, he should buy it now and get used to it asap. Then he'll bet all set to kick some seriou butt in a summer league.

Right, I still wouldn't "lose" his old ball, let him do it, if he wants to learn to throw a fingertip, he will. Thats the way countless guys I know did it including me, get a new ball drilled fingertip and use it. No one had to take my old conventional ball to make it happen, it took a couple of weeks and there was no way I was ever going back to the old way....chances are he will be the same way, but in the end it's his call....just my opinion and I'm sticking with it.

drlawsoniii
03-13-2017, 09:41 AM
Right, I still wouldn't "lose" his old ball, let him do it, if he wants to learn to throw a fingertip, he will. Thats the way countless guys I know did it including me, get a new ball drilled fingertip and use it. No one had to take my old conventional ball to make it happen, it took a couple of weeks and there was no way I was ever going back to the old way....chances are he will be the same way, but in the end it's his call....just my opinion and I'm sticking with it.

My buddy is not in a winter league he normally only bowls in small money summer leagues, his other friend and I want to get him the right ball with the right grip so that he can start working on it before the summer league starts.

Tony
03-13-2017, 12:45 PM
My buddy is not in a winter league he normally only bowls in small money summer leagues, his other friend and I want to get him the right ball with the right grip so that he can start working on it before the summer league starts.

Good luck with helping out your friend, hopefully whatever path you choose works well for him. Only you know your buddy enough to decide what course of action is best for him, use that knowledge to empower him to improve his game. Personally I know very few bowlers where snagging and losing their old conventional ball to force them to use a new fingertip ball would be the preferred method......
I've seen dozens if not hundreds of bowlers switch over the years, and can't remember ever hearing where a guys buddies snatched his old ball from him.......

J Anderson
03-13-2017, 03:24 PM
Good luck with helping out your friend, hopefully whatever path you choose works well for him. Only you know your buddy enough to decide what course of action is best for him, use that knowledge to empower him to improve his game. Personally I know very few bowlers where snagging and losing their old conventional ball to force them to use a new fingertip ball would be the preferred method......
I've seen dozens if not hundreds of bowlers switch over the years, and can't remember ever hearing where a guys buddies snatched his old ball from him.......

I've never seen it either and I was sort of joking when I suggested it. I have been sorely tempted to do so when a teammate spends good money on a new ball, throws it during warm-ups and maybe for a few frames in the first game of a series, and then gives up on it.:rolleyes:

NewToBowling
03-13-2017, 03:54 PM
I've never seen it either and I was sort of joking when I suggested it. I have been sorely tempted to do so when a teammate spends good money on a new ball, throws it during warm-ups and maybe for a few frames in the first game of a series, and then gives up on it.:rolleyes:

I'm in a Facebook Bowling Ball Sell/Trade group and the number of like new balls there are ridiculous. Most ads are along the lines of "At most 2 games. Just didn't work for me, etc"

Talk about jumping to conclusions. You spent $220+ on a high end ball and throw it a few games and give up on it?

Tony
03-13-2017, 11:02 PM

Next time I see you, and you head up to the bar or snack counter, I'm snagging the ball you're using off the ball return and selling for 10.00 ! :eek:

J Anderson
03-14-2017, 11:31 AM
Next time I see you, and you head up to the bar or snack counter, I'm snagging the ball you're using off the ball return and selling for 10.00 ! :eek:

No problem, just don't take my hat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfcZRvJLkzA

chip82901
03-17-2017, 02:24 PM
Honestly, fingertip has nothing to do with carry. Carry is all in ball motion and pin action. I know PLENTY of guys who throw conventional that tear the lanes up. I would say his carry issue is the fact that he's throwing a weak ball in the Tropical Breeze, and his angle to the pocket. I know that if I throw urethane (I'm a 2-hander, 420 rev rate), and don't play with any angle to the pocket, I'm going to leave 10 pins and light 7 and 4 pins all night. I would suggest, if he is comfortable and averaging 195 with a tropical breeze, I'd continue to keep the same drill specs, maybe ball up to something in the Storm Thunder line. I'm a huge fan of the Street Fight, it hits like a truck, keeps the pins low, and with the massive core, he'll for sure find a way to carry.