PDA

View Full Version : Difference in balls: Hywire and Snap Lock

Jarhead88
03-14-2017, 08:50 PM
I have both of these balls and I understand the covers and cores are different. But should I see a big difference in these balls?
I throw them and both would curve nicely and a lot. Covers are stock and I clean them after every night.
I'd like be able to use both balls according to lane conditions, when should i switch or use each.... lane condition wise?

Should I see a big difference? and if so what should I see?

Should I get one finish changed, polished or dulled? for different conditions?

Lanes I'm usually bowling on are sometimes on the dry side at one house and another is medium to heavy.
I don't throw too hard and spin it less then 300.

thanks

Jarhead88
03-15-2017, 10:39 PM
No one????

Help???

fordman1
03-16-2017, 10:35 AM
Go to bowlingball.com they have all the balls and compare them. I have never used either of the balls and can't give any advise. You get a lot of opinions on here but be Careful not all is good advise.

bowl1820
03-16-2017, 11:07 AM
I have both of these balls and I understand the covers and cores are different. But should I see a big difference in these balls?
I throw them and both would curve nicely and a lot. Covers are stock and I clean them after every night.
I'd like be able to use both balls according to lane conditions, when should i switch or use each.... lane condition wise?

Should I see a big difference? and if so what should I see?

Should I get one finish changed, polished or dulled? for different conditions?

Lanes I'm usually bowling on are sometimes on the dry side at one house and another is medium to heavy.
I don't throw too hard and spin it less then 300.

thanks

I wouldn't even bother with checking on BB.com, you already know the covers and cores are different and that's all it's basically going to show.

Since you have both balls and have rolled them and seen how they rolled for you, That's all the information you need.

If both balls essentially roll the same and you want see some difference in them. Then just change the cover texture on one (one shiny & one dull) and see how it does.

If you can't decide which one to change, just close your eyes and pick one, try it and then next time switch surfaces with the other ball try that. And see which combo you liked best.

RobLV1
03-16-2017, 11:32 AM
There's not too much difference between the balls except for the fact that the Snaplock has an asymmetrical core, an RG that is slightly lower, and a differential that is higher. I would suggest that you add some surface (3000 or 4000 abralon) over the polish on the Snaplock to increase the difference between the two balls.

Amyers
03-16-2017, 11:57 AM
There's not too much difference between the balls except for the fact that the Snaplock has an asymmetrical core, an RG that is slightly lower, and a differential that is higher. I would suggest that you add some surface (3000 or 4000 abralon) over the polish on the Snaplock to increase the difference between the two balls.

I have a teammate that has both and from what I've seen the balls really aren't that close. The Snap lock tends to handle more oil, be earlier and has a stronger cover. For my teammate at least the hywire is a dry lane ball where the snap lock is a first ball out of the bag if he can use it on THS conditions at all type of ball.

Every bowler is different and different balls can and will match up differently for them. Also how and where to use them will depend more on your style than anything else.

Jarhead88
03-16-2017, 07:29 PM
Thanks for the help, I figured I would make one for more oiled and one for less oiled lanes. Glad someone said they act similar, I felt that same way...(the snap lock did turn a little later and a little harder at the pins)
I think I will polish the Hywire more and use it for when the lanes dry out. that should help me get the ball further down the lane before it hooks correct?
that way I don't have to move too far left or throw harder.
does that all sound correct?

Tony
03-17-2017, 12:07 AM
Thanks for the help, I figured I would make one for more oiled and one for less oiled lanes. Glad someone said they act similar, I felt that same way...(the snap lock did turn a little later and a little harder at the pins)
I think I will polish the Hywire more and use it for when the lanes dry out. that should help me get the ball further down the lane before it hooks correct?
that way I don't have to move too far left or throw harder.
does that all sound correct?

Both balls are already 1500 polish balls, so chances are, as mentioned earlier you will probably need to change the surface with Abralon pads and then maybe add polish.