PDA

View Full Version : Spares...... when to use the plastic ball

Jarhead88
03-14-2017, 08:57 PM
I have a spare ball and use it for most single or double pin spares. I usually do pretty good and throw a consistent spare ball pretty straight.

my friends say I should use my regular ball and curve it to all my spares except the 10 pin or 6/10 spare. (I'm right-handed)

I see a lot of guys on TV throw straight shots at different pins.

what's the feeling here???

fokai73
03-14-2017, 09:51 PM
When I returned after being away 15 years, I got a coach to show me a system. It was the "4th arrow" system. All the spares I left I used only a plastic ball. Having this system took a lot of thinking out of the game. I was a really good spare shooter, really good. Couldn't strike much, but damn good spare shooter.

Over the years I changed my spare game, and today I switch to hooking at left side spares, splits and buckets. Why did I DV8 from something that wasn't broken? I don't know, but I'm not as good of a spare shooter on multiple leaves. I really really suck. And though I average much higher now than I did before, I regret every changing my spare game.

J Anderson
03-14-2017, 10:30 PM
I have a spare ball and use it for most single or double pin spares. I usually do pretty good and throw a consistent spare ball pretty straight.

my friends say I should use my regular ball and curve it to all my spares except the 10 pin or 6/10 spare. (I'm right-handed)

What I have done and continue to do is to throw straight at almost every spare leave. I know that many bowlers say that unless you're bowling on sport conditions you should do as your friends advise. I think that is bad advice since the THS tends to help the ball get to the pocket for those who throw a hook. I would argue that this must make it harder to hook at and hit anything not in the center of the lane. Since most bowlers stick to one or two centers, they eventually figure out a system that allows them to hook reasonably well at anything other than the 10 pin.

You're doing well with your system of shooting straight. Why would you want to change i what you're doing works?

There are a few spares where I can see the logic in hooking at them. The five pin is obvious. The 1-2-4, 1-2-4-7, & 2-4-7 all seem easier to make if the ball is hooking right to left. The 2-8 also seems like agood cadidate to hook at. While it would seem like the head pin would be an other obvious choice, but I always think if I was that far off on the first ball why should I take a chance on the spare? The 2-4-5 & 2-4-5-8 are probably a toss up as to whether it's better to go straight or hook.

RobLV1
03-14-2017, 10:57 PM

Unless you see your friends on TV, find some new friends!

YODA
03-15-2017, 12:14 AM
for me I guess it would depend on what the spare is. one or two pins (close) I would opt to throw straight. Although I could see some use for throwing a curve into some spares I think for me it would take a good deal of practice. As a right hander also I guess on the left side of the lane I could curve it, but a early or late hook would hurt me, when throwing straight at them would be a better advantage.

mishatx
03-15-2017, 01:32 PM
Straight at almost everything, and certainly every single pin.

Hammer
03-15-2017, 01:47 PM
I don't have a spare ball but I use my Blue Hammer urethane ball to pick up leaves from the 5 pin to the left-I am left handed. Pins from the six pin right I use my reactive strike ball to pick those up. I have been doing it this way for a long time.

chip82901
03-15-2017, 05:55 PM
It all depends for me. My spare shooting has gotten a bit better the last few years. In my home house, I know that if I hook at anything left of the head pin, I know where I need to be. Almost everything right of the head pin I throw plastic at. I can try and hook it as much as I want and the thing isn't going to move more than a board. Although, I have grown to use plastic when shooting at a 4-9. More accurate that way anyway for myself. Also, 4-10, 4-7-10. 2-4-8-10, stuff like that where you know you need to hook it is pretty obvious

Blomer
03-15-2017, 07:19 PM
I only use my spare ball the 10 pin. I use my strike ball for everything else.

Jarhead88
03-15-2017, 10:38 PM
thanks all, I feel like I'm doing the right thing shooting straight at it.
I'll keep it going.

fordman1
03-16-2017, 10:41 AM
I agree with Bloomer. On a house shot with a oily middle and dry outside single pin spares are just a little speed adjustment. Mostly I move right and the ball goes like radar to the seven. For anything but a 10 I just flatten my hand and speed up a hair. I use a pitch black for the ten and kill the roll and if I miss it is because I missed my spot not the ball.

RobLV1
03-16-2017, 11:27 AM
I agree with Bloomer. On a house shot with a oily middle and dry outside single pin spares are just a little speed adjustment. Mostly I move right and the ball goes like radar to the seven. For anything but a 10 I just flatten my hand and speed up a hair. I use a pitch black for the ten and kill the roll and if I miss it is because I missed my spot not the ball.

Great technique for a house shot! Just make sure that you avoid tournaments on sport shots unless you are looking to embarrass yourself.

fokai73
03-16-2017, 12:41 PM
Jarhead.. after this post, I spent the next two early mornings (I skipped the gym at 5am and went spare practice at the center) days working on a spare system using just the plastic ball. With my (first sport) second tourney of the year coming up, using the spare ball will take the lane pattern out of play. I pretty much figured (old method) my own unique system that's a mix of two systems which still uses a straight line to the lead pin.

If you're good at throwing straight, being accurate, just stick to plastic ball and develop your spare game going straight. And find a coach.

In the "4th arrow system" I actually use the 3rd arrow for both corners 4 6 7 10 and go cross lane, aligning my feet, hips, and arm/shoulders towards my target, again going cross lane. I move my feet accordingly too, but keep the same target.

For lead pins 2 and 3 in multi pin leaves for example, I stand on the same side of the lead pin. If I left a 2 4 8 which is on the left side, I align myself directly in front with the 2 pin being the lead pin. From here, I don't look at the arrow. I look at the side of the 2 pin I want to hit - left, center, or right side. This particular method I've done before, it's not new to me. I'm just bringing it back to avoid ugliness when bowling on flatter conditions and trying to hook at spares.

fordman1
03-16-2017, 03:03 PM
Great technique for a house shot! Just make sure that you avoid tournaments on sport shots unless you are looking to embarrass yourself.

At my 70+ age I don't do many high end tournaments. I can still make 95% of my spares. I don't have to stand and concentrate for a full minute either. Just walk up and throw the ball. First arrow for the 7 pin 3rd for the 10.
The one spare I hate is the 3-6-10. Chop, Chop, whiff.

I just can't carry strikes like I used to. Since I tore my left Hamstring by my hip about 3 years ago I have much less deep knee bend and less speed. I can still rev it up with the best of them just can't get the back row out. I understand flat 10's it is the solid ones and the 8's, 9's and those unbelievable 7's.
If I did want to waste my money I can throw straight at spares on a sports shot.

Jarhead88
03-16-2017, 07:37 PM
Thanks for all the help... still think I should go straight at them....

except for multi pin on the left side which I use the curve ball.

LOUVIT
03-18-2017, 11:19 AM
hook for any type of double wood also I would think. I don't have a spare ball yet so I just throw my normal ball and I try to straighten my release and not give it a lot of lift so it hooks less like no follow through...

Jarhead88
03-19-2017, 07:26 PM
hook for any type of double wood also I would think. I don't have a spare ball yet so I just throw my normal ball and I try to straighten my release and not give it a lot of lift so it hooks less like no follow through...

I did that too for a while but the 10 pin got hard when the lanes were dryer..

RobLV1
03-20-2017, 08:16 AM
Most times when I see high average bowlers miss ten pins, it's because they think that they can still take their strike ball and "flatten out" their wrist like they did in 1978. In 1978, balls didn't have cores or reactive covers. Today, if you go after same side corner spares with your strike ball, you are just asking for trouble. Do you still make sure you have enough cash in your wallet for the entire weekend, or do you have an ATM card that makes your life easier? Plastic spare balls make our lives easier!

JasonNJ
03-20-2017, 09:31 AM
I'm right-handed and for right side spares I almost always for plastic. Been trying to convert and use it all for spares except double wood, buckets, those sort of spares but I'm inconsistent with plastic on my left side spares. It just a matter of practicing with it and committing to use plastic for all easy spares.