PDA

View Full Version : Finally! Huge improvement in my timing issue!

KYDave
03-19-2017, 07:20 PM
As some of you know, since back surgery, time off and nerve damage in my right foot I have really struggled with timing. To the point it has effected all aspects of my approach and release.

What happens is my 2nd step is complete way too early and 3rd step my leg actually passes the ball on the downswing. To compensate, my body learned to lean way over to the side and figure 8 around my leg.

I have tried several things on my own, as well as others trying to help me to no avail. While at the demo yesterday, an EBI staffer/coach came over and was talking to me. I told him about my issue and he watched me roll a few. He worked with me and I can't believe the results! He identified the root cause and changed my set up. It felt good after I tried the few adjustments, yet so weird at the same time. Now that I am able to trust it, wow! He took a video of me and I couldn't believe it was me. So much difference!

Here is an old shot of me at end step 2, start of 3. Then a shot of me now with finish position. Excuse the poor quality, you get the idea. Going to schedule some time to work with him this summer as he is only about 2hrs away. Well worth it I think.

http://i1029.photobucket.com/albums/y354/kjmike95/bowling/20161219_184108_zpsxoglloh0.jpg (http://s1029.photobucket.com/user/kjmike95/media/bowling/20161219_184108_zpsxoglloh0.jpg.html)

http://i1029.photobucket.com/albums/y354/kjmike95/bowling/20170319_180206_zpso0vqkj1q.jpg (http://s1029.photobucket.com/user/kjmike95/media/bowling/20170319_180206_zpso0vqkj1q.jpg.html)

http://i1029.photobucket.com/albums/y354/kjmike95/bowling/20170319_180327_zpsvcm00hfk.jpg (http://s1029.photobucket.com/user/kjmike95/media/bowling/20170319_180327_zpsvcm00hfk.jpg.html)

bigt_45
03-20-2017, 12:25 AM
Awesome! Glad to hear he was eager to help, I could really use some professional advice myself this summer....before I get set into too many bad habits.

RobLV1
03-20-2017, 08:10 AM
Working with a coach helped your bowling? What a novel concept!

JasonNJ
03-20-2017, 09:33 AM
A good coach will find root cause and not just treat symptoms.

KYDave
03-20-2017, 09:35 AM
Working with a coach helped your bowling? What a novel concept!

I have never met you and some of your posts I don't know how to take.

That being said, I have worked with 2 different coaches and they have not been able to help me on this issue. Bigger steps, smaller steps, 5 step, slow my feet, etc has not helped much. This has. Maybe I just haven't had the right people.

J Anderson
03-20-2017, 10:48 AM
I have never met you and some of your posts I don't know how to take.

That being said, I have worked with 2 different coaches and they have not been able to help me on this issue. Bigger steps, smaller steps, 5 step, slow my feet, etc has not helped much. This has. Maybe I just haven't had the right people.

Rob was definitely being sarcastic in his reply. He has in the past explained how almost no one would take up golf and expect to become better by just playing 9 or 18 holes, once a week. Golfers buy nets so they can practice chipping in the backyard, hit buckets of balls at the driving range, and use the practice putting green while waiting for their tee time. They also take lessons from pros who are trained by the PGA to teach golf.

It seems like only bowlers think that just showing up for league night, using all their warm up shots trying to find a line to the pocket, bowling three games, and making an annual purchase of the "strongest" ball they can get, will make them a better bowler. I know that most of the bowlers reading this do take our sport more seriously than this, but even here it seems we are more often looking to youtube videos and asking questions on forums than actually paying for coaching.

Tony
03-20-2017, 11:05 AM
Although coaching in general is more helpful than harmful, it can also be said that all coaching is not equal, and trying to get every person to duplicate the preferred stance, approach, release is not exactly good coaching. Just look at how bowling styles vary compared to baseball batting or pitching or golf swing and putting vary, trying to revise the players entire game to duplicate the perfect motion is not always the solution.

As with these other sports the key to good coaching is the coaches ability to discern what changes will be beneficial without trying to redesign the persons entire approach to the game, and some coaches just have better vision of this than others. The persons natural physical ability and limitations are also a major factor, you can't coach everyone to do the exact same thing. The 50 year old bowler who has some bad habits, can't bend their knee or put revs on the ball can't be coached the same way as the kids just learning the game.

When I see, hear coaches trying to tell the 50 yo bowler they need to get a deeper knee bend and other things they can't easily do, it isn't good coaching or even helpful......so saying all coaching is good and will solve your problems is just wishful thinking. The best coaching comes from a person tuned into helping the person learn and discover the best way to play the game given their limitations and to give the bowler the tools and ability to become a better bowler within the scope of their ability.

Congratulations to KYDAVE for finding a coach that works for him, it doesn't mean the other coaches were bad although that's possible also, it just means he found a coach that understands and can help him with his game.

bigt_45
03-20-2017, 11:33 AM
As with these other sports the key to good coaching is the coaches ability to discern what changes will be beneficial without trying to redesign the persons entire approach to the game

BINGO, couldn't have said it better myself!

NewToBowling
03-20-2017, 02:01 PM
Rob was definitely being sarcastic in his reply. He has in the past explained how almost no one would take up golf and expect to become better by just playing 9 or 18 holes, once a week. Golfers buy nets so they can practice chipping in the backyard, hit buckets of balls at the driving range, and use the practice putting green while waiting for their tee time. They also take lessons from pros who are trained by the PGA to teach golf.

It seems like only bowlers think that just showing up for league night, using all their warm up shots trying to find a line to the pocket, bowling three games, and making an annual purchase of the "strongest" ball they can get, will make them a better bowler. I know that most of the bowlers reading this do take our sport more seriously than this, but even here it seems we are more often looking to youtube videos and asking questions on forums than actually paying for coaching.

I'll say it: Golf is 10x a harder sport than bowling. You can accidentally get strikes and even 200 game (THS). You can't accidentally shoot under par in a round of golf.

RobLV1
03-20-2017, 03:10 PM
Rather than sarcasm, I prefer to think of it as verbal irony! Yes, there are definitely differences between good coaches and bad coaches. This is why, despite negativity from many bowlers, I always recommend finding a USBC Certified Coach. Some are definitely better than others, but at least you know they were taught the proper methods, and at least paid enough attention to pass the exams.

J Anderson
03-20-2017, 03:45 PM
Rather than sarcasm, I prefer to think of it as verbal irony! Yes, there are definitely differences between good coaches and bad coaches. This is why, despite negativity from many bowlers, I always recommend finding a USBC Certified Coach. Some are definitely better than others, but at least you know they were taught the proper methods, and at least paid enough attention to pass the exams.

What I have observed among my fellow coaches is that some of the Level 1 coaches, even though they passed the exam, completely ignore the actual USBC teaching philosophy and methods for beginners, and instead either parrot what they were taught as junior bowlers or make up their own methods based on their own experience. On the other hand we have at least one Level 1 coach who could easily pass the Bronze or maybe even the Silver certification, but can't afford the class. On the whole though,Level ones tend to be more "cookie cutter" in their approach. Bronze and Silver coaches tend to be more flexible and work with the bowler rather than on the bowler.

JasonNJ
03-20-2017, 04:39 PM
To me a good analogy for Level 1 is someone with a learner's permit. All it takes to get level 1 is to read the online manual and take the test. They may have learned the basic but still don't know how to drive/coach. The Bronze class is where they really teach you how to coach and it usually taught by someone who is an excellent coach. My Bronze class was awesome and led by Ron Hatfield and I learned a ton.

The exception for a Level 1 coach is maybe someone who has coached a long time and just never bothered to advance higher in with the certification and that is where you need to talk to folks and ask them if they know of any good coaches.

Tony
03-20-2017, 05:15 PM
I'll say it: Golf is 10x a harder sport than bowling. You can accidentally get strikes and even 200 game (THS). You can't accidentally shoot under par in a round of golf.

I'll agree it's hard to shoot under par for a round of golf, but why would you equate that with a strike or a 200 game, lets say its more like an 750 series and now you're at a much closer level of difficulty. It's possible and happens all the time were an inexperienced golfer will par a hole, just like a bowler might double up on a strike.....
In my experience having played quite a few rounds of golf and bowling quite a few games, they are both sports where you can get lucky and get a decent result but I personally don't think golf is 10x harder than bowling, I would say for my own results they are pretty similar in difficulty.

RobLV1
03-20-2017, 05:43 PM
Level I coaches are just that... they are qualified to teach beginning bowlers... period. There is a huge philosophical difference, however, between Bronze Level and Silver Level Coaches. Bronze Level teaches coaches to coach from the back of the approach, forward to the foul line. So, if a Bronze Level Coach sees that a mid-level bowler is late at the foul line, he/she will likely look at the push away in relation to the steps and alter it to correct the timing issue. Silver Level Coaches look at a bowler from the foul line backward and notice potential problem issues in relation to the finished delivery position.