PDA

View Full Version : Moonlight bowling what's your strategy ?

Tony
03-20-2017, 01:25 PM
Went to a moonlight bowling benefit for a friend, it was a three game set, Baker men first, scotch women first, baker women first, I guess the format really doesn't matter to the question.
I really don't like bowling when I can't see any of the marks I generally use to bowl with, it was all I could do to see the dots I was standing on !

So what strategy have you found to shoot some good shots and games with the conditions presented, besides the lack of light, we have all the strobe lights and of course there is the open bowling / bumper oil pattern.....

J Anderson
03-20-2017, 02:12 PM
Went to a moonlight bowling benefit for a friend, it was a three game set, Baker men first, scotch women first, baker women first, I guess the format really doesn't matter to the question.
I really don't like bowling when I can't see any of the marks I generally use to bowl with, it was all I could do to see the dots I was standing on !

So what strategy have you found to shoot some good shots and games with the conditions presented, besides the lack of light, we have all the strobe lights and of course there is the open bowling / bumper oil pattern.....

I've only shot one or two games under those conditions. What I did was aim at the 10 pin on the first ball and directly at any spare leave with my spare ball. Scores weren't great but good enough to beat the kid who always wants to bowl head to head against one of us coaches after league.

RobLV1
03-20-2017, 03:04 PM
Use the reflections of the pins on the lanes to target.

got_a_300
03-21-2017, 01:56 PM
When I used to go out on Saturday nights and bowl on the cosmic
lane conditions I just picked out an area on the lane(s) to hit as
close as I could to where the arrows would be on the lane.

LOUVIT
03-22-2017, 04:09 PM
When I used to go out on Saturday nights and bowl on the cosmic
lane conditions I just picked out an area on the lane(s) to hit as
close as I could to where the arrows would be on the lane.

funny since I am left eye dominant that's the way I bowl all the time. I cannot look at arrows or spots, I bowl by the mark on the approach. I haven't moonlit bowled in decades but doesn't it look like the ball is going like 50mph..lol

got_a_300
03-25-2017, 11:45 AM
Lou, I am left eye dominant also so to hit my mark I always
target 5 or so boards to the right of where I want my ball to
hit the lanes. Say I'm playing 3rd arrow I'll target somewhere
around 2nd arrow and so and so forth always 5 to the right.

fordman1
03-25-2017, 05:01 PM
I have not moonlighted in years. I do remember beer helped a lot. So that is my advise drink a lot of beer.

LOUVIT
03-26-2017, 01:53 PM
Lou, I am left eye dominant also so to hit my mark I always
target 5 or so boards to the right of where I want my ball to
hit the lanes. Say I'm playing 3rd arrow I'll target somewhere
around 2nd arrow and so and so forth always 5 to the right.

For some reason even before my 25 year layoff I always just looked straight down at the foul line. If I look up even to the arrows I fell all out of balance. I averaged 190+ with a plastic or rubber ball on wood lanes and shot a lot of action in the 70's and 80's the same way...lol Hard habit to break I have tried to look even 2' down the lane and I feel like I am going to fall.

Just an FYI I just renewed my drivers license and looking at the 4th box with both eyes it was empty I covered my right eye and there were letters there... I was amazed and the guy testing said a lot of people see out of 1 eye. It was no big deal to him....Who Knew? lol

Blomer
03-27-2017, 10:17 PM
My strategy, to avoid Bowling at cosmic!

stargell1
04-01-2017, 03:06 AM
There is nothing funner to do on a weekend night, than cosmic bowling and beer :)

Tony
04-04-2017, 06:38 AM
For some reason even before my 25 year layoff I always just looked straight down at the foul line. If I look up even to the arrows I fell all out of balance. I averaged 190+ with a plastic or rubber ball on wood lanes and shot a lot of action in the 70's and 80's the same way...lol Hard habit to break I have tried to look even 2' down the lane and I feel like I am going to fall.

Just an FYI I just renewed my drivers license and looking at the 4th box with both eyes it was empty I covered my right eye and there were letters there... I was amazed and the guy testing said a lot of people see out of 1 eye. It was no big deal to him....Who Knew? lol

Are you saying that you think you might bowl better with one eye closed ! Give it a try, as long as it doesn't cause you to fall down.

classygranny
04-04-2017, 09:46 PM

Sounds like a bit of monovision - using the dominant eye for distance and the other for close. When I had my last lasik eye surgery done in 2000, I only had my dominant eye done and use it for distance. You have to train your mind to just use the one eye or the other depending on what you're looking at. Some people adapt well, some don't. If you think this is some of what you are experiencing, you can intentionally start looking at distance things with your dominate eye and eventually your mind takes over and you don't even think about it any longer. At times, some people notice a difference in being able to judge distance. Since I was never good at that, it never bothered me. FYI - it did take me awhile to be able to target farther down lane without having accuracy issues.

Tony
04-04-2017, 11:04 PM
Sounds like a bit of monovision - using the dominant eye for distance and the other for close. When I had my last lasik eye surgery done in 2000, I only had my dominant eye done and use it for distance. You have to train your mind to just use the one eye or the other depending on what you're looking at. Some people adapt well, some don't. If you think this is some of what you are experiencing, you can intentionally start looking at distance things with your dominate eye and eventually your mind takes over and you don't even think about it any longer. At times, some people notice a difference in being able to judge distance. Since I was never good at that, it never bothered me. FYI - it did take me awhile to be able to target farther down lane without having accuracy issues.

I can attest that the brain can learn some impressive things with vision, I have lens implants the have concentric circles with different gradients of correction and my brain learned to use the correct sections to correct both distance and reading vision, I've had them for 10 years and don't need glasses of any kind, before the surgery I wore bi-focal's and had cataracts.