PDA

View Full Version : Go-to ball for dry conditions and burned up heads?

bigt_45
03-21-2017, 09:31 AM
So I had the opportunity to demo a few Storm and Roto Grip balls yesterday at our local center, but it wasn't an official demo day so I couldn't get on a fresh lane. The lane we started on was crazy dry, you could literally see the balls start hooking instantly. I'm new to the sport so I started to wonder if my release way just way off for some reason because it looked like every ball had no rotation with way too much forward roll right off the bat. Well luckily we were able to move over to a fresh lane after a few games and bam, all was right with the world again. Once the oil broke in a little my old Crux was very happy and I actually bowled my high score of 234. So short story long, what is your go-to ball for really dry conditions like we fought on that first lane? I would guess a strong pearl ball with a really high polish and large drilling angle, but it would simply be a guess.

fordman1
03-21-2017, 11:06 AM
My first choice is the Storm Match that is polished.
Second is Fantastic BTU which I am getting ready to polish.
If it gets really terrible the Pitch Black.

bigt_45
03-21-2017, 11:43 AM
Great, thank you. Do those allow you to keep the same line or do you you have to open your angles more down and in? I thought about polishing my Storm Wipe Out to try, what polish do you use?

fordman1
03-21-2017, 11:53 AM
I am using Motiv. It was on sale on Amazon Prime. My guess is they are mostly the same. I have a spinner so it might make a difference without one. Good luck.

chip82901
03-21-2017, 02:10 PM
If they are dry outsides, I usually opt to go with something with surface honestly and move inside. For instance, if they dry out on the outsides, but the heads aren't fried, I actually go to my Phaze II, which will burn up a bit before making the turn. Just have to keep it pretty tight. Now, if everything is gone, I will go with my Pitch Blue

bigt_45
03-21-2017, 03:44 PM
The heads were definitely fried, inside and out, I've never seen anything like it. I tried moving out and going down and in with my Wipe Out that has surface on it, similar to what I used to do before I learned release and revs, but if I didn't put it straight down board 5 it would just come in a few boards and roll early washing out the 3 pin. Was almost as frustrating as bowling a lane after a party or glow bowling with crazy amounts of carry down.

chip82901
03-21-2017, 04:18 PM
Just sounds like everything is burning up early then. I'd say try something polished. I primarily throw Storm equipment, so I would suggest nothing too terribly high end, maybe something like a Street Fight if you want pearl, or a torrent if you want something with surface. The Street Fight is my benchmark ball at the moment (until I punch up my Timeless this weekend anyway).

KYDave
03-21-2017, 05:35 PM
Congrats on your game travis!

And... this is why I rarely go to exec anymore. I would have thought with the new lanes they would keep up with them better.

There are several ways going about what you are wanting. Weaker ball, surface playing a different line, etc.

I use Valentino products. The Snake Oil is easy on easy off, lasts quite a while, and does not effect the underlying surface near as much as other polishes. I also have their UFO. It is a slip agent type of polish and will extend skid and tame down the reaction on the back end in dry conditions. I'll let you try some on whatever ball you would like to see what you think. It won't be hard to find burnt lanes around this city lol

http://valentinobowling.com/UFO-Extender_c_7.html

Tony
03-21-2017, 05:44 PM
I have a RG Hustle RIG that I got just for this type of condition, it's a 1500 polished ball . I have only used it in practice so far and have not made any surface changes. I'm going to throw it a few more practice games, and some 3rd / 4th game league action and see how it works for me. I bowled last week against a guy who just got a timeless and hustle POW, he did well with the timeless first game 248, and after a couple of frames in game 2 he switched to the hustle and had some trouble with it, said it was really touchy ..... He has been doing well with it on dryer lanes.

fokai73
03-21-2017, 07:55 PM
When I was a low rev returnee (McArthur'd 17 years ago) I was able to use my strike ball going up the boards. Speed over revs and I struggled on oily lanes.

Today, with rev rate over 350, I move in. I chase the pattern as long as I can. But if I want to keep the pocket close, and depending how the mids/backends, it's either my breeze or spare ball. Lately, it's been my spare ball. It's a spare ball with a core and surface at 1k. Kind of reminds me of my older cousins and uncles roll from 30 years ago. A roll I prefer watching over the big hockey stick. lol The even, smoother, a tiny bit of an arch rolls are more exciting for me. and i'm in my mid 40's.

bigt_45
03-22-2017, 03:39 PM
Congrats on your game travis!

And... this is why I rarely go to exec anymore. I would have thought with the new lanes they would keep up with them better.

There are several ways going about what you are wanting. Weaker ball, surface playing a different line, etc.

I use Valentino products. The Snake Oil is easy on easy off, lasts quite a while, and does not effect the underlying surface near as much as other polishes. I also have their UFO. It is a slip agent type of polish and will extend skid and tame down the reaction on the back end in dry conditions. I'll let you try some on whatever ball you would like to see what you think. It won't be hard to find burnt lanes around this city lol

http://valentinobowling.com/UFO-Extender_c_7.html

This was actually at Fern Valley, they just hadn't oiled some lanes in a good while. We actually stopped going to Executive and started hitting up different places, Kenwood was DEAD last week but the lane was nice, apparently they redid them somewhat recently. Going to KingPin tomorrow, I'll see what my arsenal does there as-is before looking to polish. I think my Thug would've worked well on the dry but the thumb was too tight by the time I tried it, opened that sucker up last night so I'm ready to try it again tomorrow!

KYDave
03-22-2017, 05:54 PM
Typical of FV too lol.

Kingpin typically has oil on their lanes. I used to go on Sunday when they open since that's when they run them and can always get fresh oil. The earlier you get there the better during the week.
Their typical pattern is 42' 23mL

Kenbowl and dixie both are ran by brothers. They run the lanes every day. Altho they seem to break down quicker at Dixie for some reason.

Good luck tomorrow!