PDA

View Full Version : Probably discussed 1000 times

LOUVIT
03-22-2017, 03:58 PM
Why the hell do I leave buried 7 pins and never get the kick off the wall on 10 pins. My ball rolls and hooks strong, speed sucks, between 12 and 12.5 mph with a 15lb. Seems to me I leave these more than other people. I do not leave 4 pins on high shots and I do not leave many 8 or 9 pins. just that dam 7 and 10.

KYDave
03-22-2017, 05:58 PM
For me it is usually entry angle. Since your speed is low it could be that as well.

Do you notice where your ball exits the pin deck?

fokai73
03-22-2017, 06:18 PM
15 lbs at 12 mph, I suggest you drop ball weight or two.

Slow speed, the ball may be bleeding energy before it enters the pocket, deflection.

Coming in too high on the head pin. the head pin hits the 2 pin which deflects off the front of the 4 pin. the 4 pin is sent straight back, while the 2 heads to the channel. 4 pin misses the seven. Slow speed, low revs, no power, will not get the 2 pin to help.

these are just a few things for leaving a 7 pin, but your speed is too slow for a 15lbs ball IMO.

bigt_45
03-23-2017, 09:05 AM
Is that 12mph at the pins or the average speed from release to impact? I'm very new to the sport so take this with a grain of salt, but I felt I was speed dominant and had to slow things down to get any ball to turn the corner. The monitor usually says I'm around 12mph at the pins on my strike ball and I feel this is plenty of power to flush them if I hit the pocket correctly. Now, when I bowl straight at single spares it says 18-20 mph. I agree that it is mostly entry angle, ball down and see if you get high flush hits.

Amyers
03-23-2017, 10:35 AM
I have similar speed Louvit and I know exactly the shot your talking about the ball appears buried flush in the pocket and you see the 4 pin bounce of the wall and come back across the lane missing the 7. It's one of the most frustrating leaves for me because it appears the ball shreds the rack and you look up and see the 7 standing. Some of it you can't do much about your simply not going to trip out pins with messengers the way higher speed bowlers do with the lower speed. My coach says part of the issue is sometime at the 15 lbs weight I don't get through the ball at 100% all of the time. Sometimes it's 95% or 90% and the ball runs out a bit early. I'm experimenting with a 14 lbs. ball now threw 3 games with it last night and didn't see any of these. It doesn't increase my ball speed much but I can tell a definite difference in the roll of the ball. Going to work with it for a few weeks see how it goes but I may be changing.

chip82901
03-23-2017, 05:13 PM
It happens quite often in my home house (twister pins), and I'm a high rev, decent speed (16.5-17 at the back end) guy. A lot of it is entry angle for me. With these twisters, it's all about angle. I don't leave half of the stuff outside of my house that I do, simply due to the twister pins.

Aslan
03-23-2017, 05:18 PM
I thought it was going to be:

1) What ball should I buy?
or
2) Should 2-handed bowling be illegal?

Hammer
03-23-2017, 05:26 PM
Today at practice I was using my urethane Blue Hammer ball with a 2000 dull surface. I had a speed of 11.50mph and my slide foot was on board 13 and I was throwing between boards 3 and 7. I was stringing strikes like crazy without high speed. The urethane ball is 14lbs. I have a slow approach and a relaxed swing and grip of the ball. I let the weight of the ball uncup my hand. I used little effort and was getting good results. I know there are guys with high revs and speed that will strike but for me at 70 little effort on the release of my ball and the pins fall hard. I ain't kidding either. Just because I am 70 doesn't me that I am one of these old folks throwing a straight ball at 8mph. Both of my ball hook. So slower doesn't necessarily mean no power. I prove it at league night.

LOUVIT
03-26-2017, 02:04 PM
To start with to Hammer..... I am 62 and short and large if you know what I mean so I probably feel like I'm 80...lol

I went from a 16# to a 15# I am afraid to go to 14# and start deflecting and leaving 5 pins. On light hits I will move the 5 in front of the 7 also. I picked up no speed going from 16 to 15 and don't think a 14 will increase it either. I think I have to work on a higher backswing if anything. As far as where I'm getting the mph's from it's just the house numbers on the scoreboard, I hear they are not accurate so I really do not know. My ball hooks a lot and seems to hit hard. I think my revs are medium not low, but coming back after 25 years I really do not know how to tell.