PDA

View Full Version : Wrist guards..

Blomer
03-25-2017, 08:43 PM
On Facebook there were broadcasting the Storm Youth Championships and Randy Pedersen was one of the hosts during I asked. A question regarding wrist guards for youth. I asked if they thought wrist guards hurts or helps during competition or if it just depends on the person. Reason I ask is I always see so many people using them while Bowling, I don't. Never tried it, not knocking it either. Was kinda surprise by his and the other broadcasters response, don't remember name, but they both said they view it more as a practice tool and not used during competition.

What are your thoughts?

fokai73
03-26-2017, 01:23 AM
There are those who really do need it due to injury. On the flip side, there are those who can do without it, but they are so used to it that they can't put it down. In Asia, almost every player uses one.

And, many bowlers who do have one like the robby revs, or gadget, you know the rob cop kind of wrist brace:

1. they buy it without having their grip remeasured.
2. they have no clue how to use, when to use the adjustments.
3. it's a magic pill for many bowlers. if it works, why remove it.

Timmyb
03-26-2017, 08:19 AM
I used one since I was a kid. The only thing going then was the Robbie's. It was the "cool" thing to have in junior leagues back then. They started getting a bit more elaborate in my later teens. I ended up settling on the Master Wrist-Mate somewhere in the late80's/early 90's, and stayed that way up until the end of the 2015-2016 season, and I took it off. My average has gone up dramatically since. the only thing I use now is a tacky glove (Storm, in this instance), due to the fact that at my age, and considering the work I've done most of my life, my hands are very dry. I can feel my index and pinky finger slipping around on the ball. Other than that, crutch gone!

KYDave
03-26-2017, 09:01 AM
Back when I got my first reactive resin and fingertip ball I was given one to help me with the release. This was back in 92 and was very popular. I bowled like that for a while and when it started falling apart I decided to bowl without it. It felt terrible and was very inconsistent. I quickly ordered a new one. Fast forward past back surgery and lay off of 12 yrs, I ordered a Mongoose Optimum. Used it for a while and with the advise of my PSO I picked up a Robbys Rev. I tried to bowl a few times without them and didn't like it. I have learned several different release techniques, none of which I could do with either of those on. I practiced, practiced and practiced some more without them. Bowled terrible for a while. But once I got it down they have both been on a shelf. I feel much better without them now, and can adjust my release to what I want the ball to do. I have also increased my revs from around 250-275 to 400.

Friend of mine who just got into bowling last summer who had a terrible time breaking his wrist and topping the ball. Got him one of those C300 Prowrist gloves. It is like a bowling glove but has a metal plate on the back side you can remove. He used that for a couple months to get a feel of a good release and train his wrist. After that, he rarely uses it. I think this is exactly what they are designed to do. Just took me much longer to get to that point lol.

Tony
03-26-2017, 10:13 AM
I used a wrist guard way back 20 years ago and when it finally wore out, I tossed it. A couple of years ago I had surgery on my wrist and picked up a mongoose brand support and have used it ever since. When I've bowled without it , I suffer from wrist pain so I might be stuck with it unless I can overcome that.

Since I've had several surgeries on my right arm, it's better for me to keep a consistent, relaxed, low stress swing and release even though it would help my scoring to put more revs or speed on the ball, it would likely also cause me to suffer more injury to the arm.

chip82901
03-28-2017, 01:58 PM
Honestly, I see quite a few people using them. I've had wrist issues my entire life, so I've bowled 2-handed my entire life. I've tried bowling with one hand with one of those contraptions, just an uncomfortable feeling in my opinion. I also think, that unless a kid actually needs one, they shouldn't be using them. Teach them correct releases and they will be better off

bigt_45
03-30-2017, 12:25 PM
I picked up a Gizmo shortly after I started bowling earlier this year and it helped me out a bunch. Once I got used to the feeling of correct hand placement and release I was able to gradually stop using it, now I only go back to it whenever things just don't feel right again. They are definitely great training tools even if you don't need assistance with a weak wrist or injury.

NewToBowling
03-30-2017, 12:36 PM
When I started bowling I did have weak wrists. Purchased a Robby Revs and used it a bit to get the feeling of how my hand position should be or stay at. Started working on wrist/forearm exercises and now don't use it anymore but was great as a training guide.

MickeyOliverLee
04-04-2017, 09:34 AM
On Facebook there were broadcasting the Storm Youth Championships and Randy Pedersen was one of the hosts during I asked. A question regarding wrist guards for youth. I asked if they thought wrist guards hurts or helps during competition or if it just depends on the person. Reason I ask is I always see so many people using them while Bowling, I don't. Never tried it, not knocking it either. Was kinda surprise by his and the other broadcasters response, don't remember name, but they both said they view it more as a practice tool and not used during competition.

What are your thoughts?

I tend to agree, my wrist used to be too weak as well and I relied on it to the point that I can't bowl without one. (On the upside, it did make me feel the difference between my old release and the 'proper' release.)

I also particularly hate that wrist guard manufacturers keep saying you could increase revs by setting the degree of cupping higher on your wrist guard. When I tried it, it just made me feel extremely uncomfortable and I have not seen a high rev player who uses a wrist guard.

Also, if you see top wrist guard users (e.g. Shannon O'Keefe at the US Open 2012, Clara Guerero when she shoots spares), they can release the ball properly without using the wrist guard, it just gives them a better 'feel'.

RobLV1
04-04-2017, 11:23 AM
Unless one has a specific wrist injury, I alway encourage my students not to use one. I say this for the simple reason that the old idea that the wrist must stay firm is no longer true; in fact one cannot develop a modern release without breaking the wrist. Just last week I was working with a PBA50 Tour bowler that I've been helping for about a year. When I mentioned a hitch that I saw in his push away, he said that it happens when he feels his wrist start to break. I encouraged him try breaking it intentionally. Three days later he bowled 816 (three games) in a local tournament on the Cheetah pattern to win it by over 60 pins. Now he says that when he feels his wrist break, he knows it's money. Things change. Bowlers need to change with them.

KYDave
04-04-2017, 05:37 PM
When I mentioned a hitch that I saw in his push away, he said that it happens when he feels his wrist start to break. I encouraged him try breaking it intentionally.

I'm a little confused here. In the push away do you mean at the start of the swing on first step or push away to slide step?

RobLV1
04-04-2017, 07:41 PM
I'm a little confused here. In the push away do you mean at the start of the swing on first step or push away to slide step?

At the start of the swing. In fact, if you look up David Haynes, long time Team USA member, you'll see that he starts with his wrist broken before starting his approach. This is a good way to get the yo-yo "walking the dog" feel.