PDA

View Full Version : Measuring your span on a drilled ball?

Blomer
03-26-2017, 06:18 PM
How does one measure their span on a drilled ball?

I have no clue what my span is. How do I measure it on a drilled ball? Is there a diagram somewhere?

Thanks!

bowl1820
03-26-2017, 06:40 PM
How does one measure their span on a drilled ball?

I have no clue what my span is. How do I measure it on a drilled ball? Is there a diagram somewhere?

Thanks!

The simplest way is just stop in the proshop and ask for a copy of your drill sheet or just have them measure it for you.

To get the actual measurements you would need a span rule (or good flexible ruler). Then measure from the gripping edge of the thumbhole to the gripping edge of one fingerhole and then repeat for the other hole.

https://s5.postimg.org/968h9b3t3/Attachment_1.jpg

Taking Measurements Off an Existing Bowling Ball- Innovative Bowling

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyXXsnLypVk

If your just wanting to see if your span is too long or short:

With your thumb inserted in the thumb hole and laying your fingers across the holes and your hand relaxed, the half way point between the first and second joint should be at the gripping edge of the hole. If your using inserts it's the gripping edge of the insert not the drilled hole.

http://s5.postimg.org/60yijdbyf/fit_Bowling_Ball_Parts.gif

Just to double check,

With your fingers laying across the holes, hold the ball like your going to roll it. So that it settles into your hand, then without moving your hand.

Example:
http://s5.postimg.org/ac7neq07b/span_02.jpg

Rotate the ball back up so you can see where the edge of the holes are in relation to the midpoint between the two joints. (or get a picture form below like this one.)

LOUVIT
03-26-2017, 07:12 PM
Been there done that, the recommended span for me felt too big, I had them shortened 1/8th of an inch and I love it....It goes by sticking your thumb in and fingers go to or before the first bend in yr finger.... there's a thread started by me somewhere...lol

Tony
03-27-2017, 08:18 AM
I've seen quite a few guys in recent years reduce their span slightly, I think part of it is do to age and a slight decrease in flexibility, however going too short might make it more likely for you to squeeze the ball, so it's important to make sure you find a length that works to your advantage without out causing a hand injury or causing a unwanted change in your release.

NewToBowling
03-27-2017, 10:30 AM
My span is "technically" too short. My first crease is at far edge of finger holes and not in the center. But I lack flexibility and it works for me. No gripping for me.

drlawsoniii
03-27-2017, 11:10 AM
When you're measuring your span do you measure the cut of the finger holes or the bottom edge of the grip? Say i'm looking at buying a used ball and the guy has bigger fingers so his inserts wont work. Do i just compare from thumb cut to finger cut?

bowl1820
03-27-2017, 11:22 AM
When you're measuring your span do you measure the cut of the finger holes or the bottom edge of the grip? Say i'm looking at buying a used ball and the guy has bigger fingers so his inserts wont work. Do i just compare from thumb cut to finger cut?

To get your full span you measure the gripping edges.

bigt_45
03-27-2017, 11:34 AM
I like the feel of a slightly stretched span, as long as the thumb isn't too tight to get out of cleanly, so with the thumb in and first crease at the middle of the finger holes works well for me.

drlawsoniii
03-27-2017, 11:48 AM
To get your full span you measure the gripping edges.

but in the case of buying a used ball with grips i'd compare cut to cut so that when i replace inserts the span should be right. Correct? ie Switch Grip outer sleeve to finger cut correct?

fokai73
03-27-2017, 12:53 PM
bowl1820 gave the perfect answer, go to your PSO and ask for a copy of your specs. just don't get confused with true and cut span measurements.

bowl1820
03-27-2017, 12:59 PM
but in the case of buying a used ball with grips i'd compare cut to cut so that when i replace inserts the span should be right. Correct? ie Switch Grip outer sleeve to finger cut correct?

Yes, Given if the cut to cut measurements of the used ball are the same as your other ball. You should be able to just swap out grips, of course the used ball might have different pitches than your other balls.