PDA

View Full Version : Storm Timeless

chip82901
03-29-2017, 10:58 AM
Recently punched one out. Drilled it 5x4x3 as suggested by Chad McLean (Storm Technical Manager). My PAP is 4 7/8" over 1/2" up, ball speed is between 16.5-17.5 at the back end, rev rate around 400. I threw it for the first time last night for 5 frames. Let me be the one to tell you, 39 boards on the lane wasn't going to hold that ball back. I wouldn't call it jumpy, but when it turns, it just keeps driving. I've never seen a ball react like that before. While I do like it, I don't think I could ever throw it on my local center's 40ft THS without either lofting it past the arrows or throwing it 24mph. I asked Chad what I should do to tame it down, and he suggested changing the surface between 2000 and 4000. I've never really been one to make a surface change. I've done it on a few balls, and I know that taking something to 4000 will definitely tame down the back end. But then again, the OOB surface is what it came with for a reason. I've also thought about just polishing it to get more length but keep the same reaction. Figured I'd jump on here and see what other's thoughts were.

got_a_300
03-29-2017, 11:22 AM
OOB surface doesn't always work for everyone so don't be afraid
to experiment with surface changes as I'm sure others will also
tell you the same thing.

I've taken OOB polished bowling balls and took them down to
500 grit to get the reaction out of them that I was looking for
and also went the other way took a dull ball and polished it to
get the reaction I was looking for out of it.

chip82901
03-29-2017, 11:33 AM
So what would you suggest being that I like the reaction I get, but I need more length while retaining that reaction? Polish? Sand it down?

got_a_300
03-29-2017, 11:54 AM
So what would you suggest being that I like the reaction I get, but I need more length while retaining that reaction? Polish? Sand it down?
When you sand the ball down it will make it read the lane sooner and use up some of its
energy and blend the pattern out and get more of a smooth arc so it doesn't over react on
the back ends.

Now going the other way and adding a high polish it will get it down the lane farther but it
might go too far down lane before it reacts and then it might just have so much more energy
stored up that it might over react in a way you do not want it to do.

That is why it is a good ideal to experiment with surface changes to fine tune your ball reaction
to the shot you will be bowling on.......but if it is on a sanctioned league do not do it while you
are bowling do it before the first ball has been thrown to start the practice session or it's best to
do it before you get to the bowling center if you take your equipment home.

Amyers
03-29-2017, 11:54 AM
Start at 4K and work your way down the grit chart until it's where you want it. There is nothing sacred about the OOB surface on the ball often times it's based more on marketing than ball performance

RobLV1
03-29-2017, 01:19 PM
Two misconceptions here:

1. OOB finish is there for a reason. It is! It is the marketing departments best guess as to what will appeal to most potential customers. I did a study once, based on BTM ball reviews, and found that 60% of the time, the bowlers had to change the surface to get the best reaction for their style.

2. When more surface is added, it increases the coefficient of friction in the oil. The ball reads sooner while it is still in the oil. What is often not considered is that the COF in oil and the COF in the dry are related: when one goes up, the other goes down. What this means is more surface will result in earlier roll, but it will also result in a less dynamic reaction to friction. When balls are polished, the results are reversed: more skid in oil, and a more dynamic reaction to friction.

chip82901
03-29-2017, 01:29 PM
Oh I understand the benefit of both sanding and polishing a ball, and what both do. I loved the reaction the ball had on the back end, the drive was amazing! But, I definitely need the length to get it there because as soon as it hit the end of the pattern, it moved a LOT. I'm thinking I might try a light coat of polish first, see if that makes a difference. If that doesn't work, I'm going to start at 4000 and go from there. I've had a few balls that I've put 4000 on and its very smooth and predictable. Appreciate the input fellas

vdubtx
03-29-2017, 01:51 PM
I just picked this ball up as well. Used it for 3 games last night and did just OK for me, 624. The ball is certainly going to be a good one for me I think though. Will take a few more weeks of playing with it and practice to decide what direction I want it to go with surface. My league last night it jumped really hard off the friction, that was good thing. First few frames I didn't have right size inserts in the fingers and tugged it. When missed inside due to tugging it, it drove right into headpin ball did not sit at all, LOL. The lanes in house I bowl in Tuesdays are higher friction, tomorrow night will be a better test I think as they are Brunswick surfaces and they put more volume out. Have a tournament this weekend that are on Brunswick surfaces as well.

chip82901
03-29-2017, 02:15 PM
I love the look of the ball, it just drives so damn hard! I was 25 at the arrows out to 5 and kept coming in heavy, and it wasn't due to it hooking early

StormTex
03-30-2017, 09:01 AM
I'm a couple of weeks in on my new Timeless, drilled 4x4x3, I use at an older alley which generally uses too much oil on a 41ft THS and it works great all three games of the league, my next league is the opposite, on a THS the lanes begin to dry fast so I use it for the first game only and change to a 900 global drift for the second and third. Regardless I love the Timeless and the way it drives through the pins at impact.
It is my favorite by far and made my rocket ship a doorstop.

vdubtx
03-31-2017, 11:32 AM
Used it last night in a higher volume house that I bowl league in. Ball certainly rolls really nice. My sweet spot is almost always over 15 and bump the 8-9. I used this as my spot last night and did pretty well. As is typical, I had to play each lane different. Right lane was not coming up on me so I made move right, came in light several times and the pins just mixed up and gave me very good carry. This ball keeps the pins low when it hits light which is a nice benefit. :cool:

Tournament starting tomorrow and will certainly be using this one to see what it does for me.

chip82901
04-03-2017, 11:03 AM
So just an update. Put a light coat of polish on it Friday night before league. Unfortunately I ended up on lanes 1-2 in my house (known for playing 5-8 boards dryer to start). I could control it, but it pretty much gave me the same initial read on that pair. I'll throw it again on my tuesday night men's league where we don't bowl on lanes 1-2 and see what happens. I love the reaction it has though, so I'm hoping the polish does the trick and I don't have to sand it down as I feel that will definitely change the drive the ball has on the back end

vdubtx
04-03-2017, 11:26 AM
Used the Timeless on 8 of 9 games on my tournament this weekend. I love the way this ball rolls. Gets through the heads and starts up really nicely. 2015 all events score.

Even late in the Doubles/Singles set which is rolled on the same pair, I just kept going deeper and deeper and this ball preformed phenomenally. Easily went through the heads and finished really well.

chip82901
04-03-2017, 11:43 AM
Used the Timeless on 8 of 9 games on my tournament this weekend. I love the way this ball rolls. Gets through the heads and starts up really nicely. 2015 all events score.

Even late in the Doubles/Singles set which is rolled on the same pair, I just kept going deeper and deeper and this ball preformed phenomenally. Easily went through the heads and finished really well.

I love the way mine rolls, I'm just thinking it's too much ball for our 40ft THS. Like I said, I put a little polish on it Friday night, I'll throw it Tuesday night and see what kind of difference it made. Have a pretty interesting tourney coming up on Saturday. 36ft on the left lane, 42ft on the right. Should be fun

chip82901
04-05-2017, 10:26 AM
Tried to throw it for a game last night and its just too much once it hits the end of the pattern on my house's 40ft THS. I'd rather not sand it, as it's going to come in handy the way it is when I travel for tournaments. I have a tournament here this weekend where we are laying a 42ft sport shot down on the right lane, so I'll see what happens with it on there. We just don't have the volume to hold that ball. I threw it the 10th frame of the last game only as it didn't matter (had already won my individual points and series points). Gutter capped it out to 7 at 16.5 mph and it crushed the pocket. It's going to be a great ball in my arsenal, just not in my home house

foreverincamo
04-06-2017, 11:51 AM
Can always get a polish that has a slip agent additive. Vise makes one that I use. It definitely tames the ball down. Easy to apply

fokai73
04-06-2017, 12:44 PM
Just like the vise polish mentioned, you can also try this...

http://valentinobowling.com/UFO-Extender_c_7.html

This is the one I use.

KYDave
04-06-2017, 03:09 PM
Just like the vise polish mentioned, you can also try this...

http://valentinobowling.com/UFO-Extender_c_7.html

This is the one I use.

Yes! Great stuff although I use the Snake Oil more often.

You guys must have as much oil as I typically bowl on. Well, when the lanes are ran that is. Usually the Timeless is something to ball down to.

chip82901
04-07-2017, 12:00 PM
Yes! Great stuff although I use the Snake Oil more often.

You guys must have as much oil as I typically bowl on. Well, when the lanes are ran that is. Usually the Timeless is something to ball down to.

I've applied a bit of the Storm Xtra Shine to it, and like I said, I think it's going to be a great ball to throw outside of my home house. I do bowl a lot of tournaments where they usually flood the middle of the lane and wall it up around the 10 board where this ball will come in handy the way it is now. I've been thinking about sanding it, but I know it will change the back end motion that I actually like. I'm thinking I just need to get some more games on it, but with my work schedule the way its been, its been hard to get down and practice. The only nights available have been Thursday nights, and I've been stuck late at work to get down there in time.

chip82901
04-10-2017, 10:45 AM
Update: Threw it this weekend during our challenge (36ft left lane, 42 ft right lane). Held well on the long, and I actually used surface on the short (phaze II), until I needed some length, in which I turned to the Timeless. Seems like I got enough games on it, it burned a track in and isn't so aggressive at the end of the pattern.