PDA

View Full Version : Are ball ramps legal in league play?

NewToBowling
03-29-2017, 11:21 PM
Talking about the ramps little kids use. Silly question but would be very useful for those pesky 10 pins :)

got_a_300
03-29-2017, 11:40 PM
Hmmm......that is a very good question indeed. I wouldn't see
why it wouldn't be legal to use one but now your team mates
and the opposing team might not like it all that much if you did.

bowl1820
03-29-2017, 11:58 PM
It's covered under usbc rule 4.

Basically you would have to get special permissions and rules from the league etc. to use it.

Rule 4 – Delivering the Ball
4a. Legal Delivery
A delivery is made when the ball leaves the player’s possession and crosses the foul line into playing territory. Every delivery counts unless a dead ball is declared. (See Rule 8.) A delivery must be made entirely by manual means. No device may be incorporated in or af xed to the ball that detaches on delivery or is a moving part during delivery except as provided in Rule 4b and Rule 4c.
4b. Special Equipment to Grip the Ball
A player may use special equipment to aid in grasping and delivering the ball if it is in place of a hand, or major portion thereof, lost by amputation or otherwise.
4c. Mechanical Aids to Grip the Ball - Alternating Delivery
A player may, if granted permission by USBC Headquarters and each league or tournament in which the player participates, alternate right/left-handed delivery and/or use special equipment to aid in grasping and delivering the ball.
Permission may be granted if the following is submitted to USBC Headquarters:
1. A doctor’s certi cate describing the disability and the reason to alternate right/left-handed delivery and/or recommending the aid.
2. Mechanical Aid. A description, drawing or model of the aid. Unless the individual is unable to impart force or impetus to a ball, the aid cannot incorporate a mechanical device with moving parts that would impart force or impetus to the ball.
When authorization is given, USBC Headquarters will provide the player with a special card stating that alternating right/left-handed delivery and/or the use of the speci ed mechanical aid has been approved. If permission is denied, the player has the right of appeal to the USBC Legal Committee. Permission may be withdrawn for cause.
4d. Special Considerations to Deliver the Ball
A player unable to execute a delivery in accordance with any of the foregoing procedures may bowl in USBC competition provided the league’s board of directors or tournament management:
1. Authorizes such participation.
2. Establishes speci c provisions to govern such participation.
The average established by the player is not acceptable in another league or tournament unless allowed by the rules of that league or tournament. The bowler is eligible for all USBC awards.

NewToBowling
03-30-2017, 09:41 AM
I knew Bowl1820 would come through. You're a wealth of information and an asset to bowling in general.

got_a_300
03-30-2017, 10:52 AM
I knew Bowl1820 would come through. You're a wealth of information and an asset to bowling in general.

Yep bowl1820 knows all the rules if you ever need to know anything
about bowling rules just ask him he will know for sure yes I agree he
is a wealth of information and an asset to bowling in general. :)

LOUVIT
03-30-2017, 02:00 PM
I think my house has an age limit, that may be for bumpers. Not sure.

J Anderson
03-30-2017, 03:23 PM
I think my house has an age limit, that may be for bumpers. Not sure.

My center doesn't seem to even have an age limit on bumpers, since I've seen the bumpers stay up for parents bowling with small children.
Since ramps are used by people with various physical handicaps there is no age limit on them.

LOUVIT
04-01-2017, 06:03 PM
Makes sense, if you have a physical handicap for sure they should let you use ramps for league play, not bumpers though.

Tony
04-02-2017, 02:28 PM
I bowled in a league that once had an older disabled fellow where they allowed him to use a ramp, he still bowls with a ramp and in a special "league" with an assistant ( he's the only one in the league )
The problem was a time issue, it took an extraordinary amount of time to set up the ramp for every shot and move it around, he had been in the league prior to his stroke and so they voted to allow it, but
they only did it for the one season, was my understanding.
I was there practicing a few weeks ago when he came up and told me he shot a 705, and indeed he did, it was mostly due to the skill of the assistant who positioned the ramp and is a coach and 215 - 220 avg Sr. bowler himself.