PDA

View Full Version : Foul Line Foolishness

Blomer
03-30-2017, 09:44 AM
On Sunday's league, we are Bowling to either win the last third of the season or for the wild card, hopefully for the last third win. We have a lady on the team who gets frustrated very easily, but holds her own. The league secretary came to the rest of the team while we sit at the table, she usually sits near the lanes. He said that every time she bowls she is crossing the fowl line. First, the sensor didn't go off, did hear it Go off for other lanes and second, the screen never marked it. The lane buzzers often at the house I bowl at don't work to well. The secretary was Bowling on lanes next to us, not against us. This threw off our bowler a bit, but she recovered. She mentioned that he placed a few of his balls on our lanes chairs and she told him to move them to his. So he either did this as revenge or to help us out(doubtful).

Looking at the rule book, it says the other teams captain can bring up the concern if they notice. The other team wasn't concerned about it as they were all having a good time and getting hammered by us. How would you deal with this situation? Also, if the foul line buzzers weren't working and you did see someone crossing, what would you say and do? Specially if no one else sees it.

Next Sunday is positions round so if we win two points we get wild card, 5 fist place for the last third. We won league last year and weren't to pleased as a team won it who is from across the state line.

mc_runner
03-30-2017, 09:53 AM
Kind of a weird situation. Does sound like it's kind of a head games deal... although at least he said it to you guys not her. In that case I probably might have just kinda tried to see if she was close to the line when she shot, bring it up if it is indeed an issue (or if you're concerned about her fouling).

But since the buzzer was working for others and hadn't gone off for her, and the other team said nothing... seems a little fishy. Good that she recovered.

Edit - if the foul lines weren't workign for anyone and there was clearly someone going over... mark it zero, donny! In truth discuss it with the other team. I had an issue with a very over-active foul line buzzer in my summer league last year, both teams ended up ignoring it since it was pretty clearly malfunctioning.

bowl1820
03-30-2017, 10:58 AM
On Sunday's league, we are Bowling to either win the last third of the season or for the wild card, hopefully for the last third win. We have a lady on the team who gets frustrated very easily, but holds her own.
So your saying here the lady bowls on your team.

The league secretary came to the rest of the team while we sit at the table, she usually sits near the lanes. He said that every time she bowls she is crossing the fowl line.
The secretary informed your team your player (the lady) was committing fouls.

First, the sensor didn't go off, did hear it Go off for other lanes and second, the screen never marked it. The lane buzzers often at the house I bowl at don't work to well.
The sensors on your lanes weren't working, but the fouls were apparent to the secretary who then informed you.

This is covered under rule 5

5c. Foul Detection
A USBC approved automatic foul detecting device must be used, if available. When not available or
temporarily inoperative, the following procedures shall be used to call fouls:
1. In tournament play, management shall assign a foul judge or have the official scorers call fouls.
2. In league play, the opposing team captains shall call fouls or a foul judge shall be appointed.
Failure to provide for the calling of fouls as specified shall disqualify scores bowled for USBC High
Score Award consideration.
Commonly Asked Question – Rule 5c.
5c/1 What happens if our foul lights are not available?
If not available, members of the league should be advised the captains are responsible for the
calling of fouls or someone can be designated to act as a foul judge.
5d. Apparent
A foul shall be declared and recorded if the automatic foul detecting device or foul judge fails to call a
foul that is apparent to:
1. Both captains, or one or more members of each of the opposing teams, or
2. The official scorer, or
3. A tournament official.
If there is a dispute, refer to Rule 10, Provisional Ball.

The secretary would be the "official" in this case so, The lady's shots should have been recorded as fouls.

The secretary was Bowling on lanes next to us, not against us. This threw off our bowler a bit, but she recovered. She mentioned that he placed a few of his balls on our lanes chairs and she told him to move them to his. So he either did this as revenge

So your saying the secretary was just saying that she fouled in revenge for her asking him to move his balls to his side.

or to help us out(doubtful).

How would distracting your player or saying she was fouling help your team? This would make more sense if you meant the lady was on the team you were bowling against.

Looking at the rule book, it says the other teams captain can bring up the concern if they notice. The other team wasn't concerned about it as they were all having a good time and getting hammered by us. How would you deal with this situation? Also, if the foul line buzzers weren't working and you did see someone crossing, what would you say and do? Specially if no one else sees it.

See rule above

Next Sunday is positions round so if we win two points we get wild card, 5 fist place for the last third.

Good luck

We won league last year and weren't to pleased as a team won it who is from across the state line.

Okay, here your say "you" won the league last year. But weren't pleased because the team that "won" was from across the state line.

So since your the team that "won" your saying "you" live across the state line and are not pleased with yourself for winning because of it.:rolleyes:

Blomer
03-30-2017, 11:40 AM
Yikes. My bad.
They weren't happy that we won, I was happy.
He was trying to help us out by letting her know to stay behind the foul line.
She and her dad and brother who make excuses up for anything goes wrong said that was the reason why.
The captain for the team we were bowling never mentioned anything about the suppose fouls. And it was never mentioned he was the designated foul judge. How could this be if he is bowling and unable to watch the whole house?
Appreciate the luck for this Sunday.

bowl1820
03-30-2017, 12:01 PM
The captain for the team we were bowling never mentioned anything about the suppose fouls. And it was never mentioned he was the designated foul judge. How could this be if he is bowling and unable to watch the whole house?

The Capt. of the other team wouldn't be a "Foul judge" for the whole house
If the foul lights are not working, the captains of the two teams bowling against each other would be responsible for calling the fouls just on their lanes. (Unless a foul judge was appointed)

5c. Foul Detection
A USBC approved automatic foul detecting device must be used, if available. When not available or
temporarily inoperative, the following procedures shall be used to call fouls:
1. In tournament play, management shall assign a foul judge or have the official scorers call fouls.
2. In league play, the opposing team captains shall call fouls or a foul judge shall be appointed.

Failure to provide for the calling of fouls as specified shall disqualify scores bowled for USBC High
Score Award consideration.

Commonly Asked Question – Rule 5c.
5c/1 What happens if our foul lights are not available?
If not available, members of the league should be advised the captains are responsible for the
calling of fouls or someone can be designated to act as a foul judge.

fokai73
03-31-2017, 12:36 AM
Old Jedi mind trick......The Sec was on the right...but you'll never know the truth....

I bowled with a big fish in this small pond league. We were the only bowlers who carried 215-218 averages. The rest of the league were all below 200 and it was a fun family league. But this Richard had a temper, cocky, and kicked and screamed if someone had a back door strike, or carried everything and he wasn't. He would insult some bowlers and was just rude.... so I played the villain too.....

Anyway... telling him his foot was close to the foul line, or ask him if the sensors were broken cause I saw his foot pass the line, would mess his game up. This was was one of many jedi mind tricks I played on him....