PDA

View Full Version : Why do my finger inserts of same size fit different?

HamSolo
03-31-2017, 06:43 PM
Here's the rundown...I bought my first ball a while back and got it fitted/drilled. Few weeks later I bought a second ball from a different PSO and had him fit/drill me again. The span was different, and the fit with the fingertip inserts was different. On my first ball my fingers stopped going in by my first knuckle. On my second ball there is more wiggle room and if I straight my middle finger and insert it straight down it will go all the way in. This doesn't happen with my 1st ball.

So, intent on getting my balls feeling similar, I ripped out my inserts and was going to go try and get a size in between the size from ball 1 and ball 2.

Much to my surprise, they are the same size. One set is Vise and one set just says "Ultimate" on them. The Vise (13/16 middle, 3/4 ring) fit bigger than the Ultimate (13/16 middle, 3/4 ring). I don't have a caliper to measure the drill sizes but they don't appear to be different sizes to my eye. With a ruler all four finger holes appear to be 2.5 cm in diameter.

What gives? What size should I buy if the Vise were too big and the Ultimate were a bit too snug?

foreverincamo
03-31-2017, 06:54 PM
You'll have to understand that they pound out thousands of those inserts every day, with multiple molds, machine operators, etc. They really aren't held to much of a standard as far as tolerance. With my PSO I'll go thru all the inserts in the same size until I find what fits right.

bowl1820
03-31-2017, 07:34 PM
Here's the rundown...I bought my first ball a while back and got it fitted/drilled. Few weeks later I bought a second ball from a different PSO and had him fit/drill me again. The span was different, and the fit with the fingertip inserts was different. On my first ball my fingers stopped going in by my first knuckle. On my second ball there is more wiggle room and if I straight my middle finger and insert it straight down it will go all the way in. This doesn't happen with my 1st ball.

So, intent on getting my balls feeling similar, I ripped out my inserts and was going to go try and get a size in between the size from ball 1 and ball 2.

Much to my surprise, they are the same size. One set is Vise and one set just says "Ultimate" on them. The Vise (13/16 middle, 3/4 ring) fit bigger than the Ultimate (13/16 middle, 3/4 ring). I don't have a caliper to measure the drill sizes but they don't appear to be different sizes to my eye. With a ruler all four finger holes appear to be 2.5 cm in diameter.

What gives? What size should I buy if the Vise were too big and the Ultimate were a bit too snug?

Insert sizes can vary slightly from brand to brand/type to type and the way in which the insert sizes are listed differs between brands. So if you find one that fits good, you should try and stay with that brand&type.

If you find a set of grips that fit good, buy a extra set or two from the same batch. That way you have them on hand, so you can put them in yourself or have the pso put them in.

Also most insert types come in half sizes, so you should be able to fine tune the fit.

How sharp or dull the drill bit is the PSO's used to drill the holes can affect the feel of the size or if one shop used a 31/32" vs a 61/64" bit can make the same size grips feel different.

If you go in to get grips put in, have them put in without gluing them first. Try your fingers in to see how they fit and adjust if needed.

Another option is you can try vacu-grips (or do a fake vacu-grip), basically they are grips that adjust to your fingers when you put your fingers in.
http://www.viseinserts.com/vacu.html

HamSolo
03-31-2017, 07:53 PM
Thank you both for the info. I'm going to order some Turbo inserts the equivalent of 1 size down from the Vise inserts I pulled out (8 and 6), so I'll try the Turbo 55 and 75. Any tips on installation? Regular super glue, 4 drops on each side near the top of the insert?

bowl1820
03-31-2017, 08:18 PM
Loctite Gel Super Glue in the small tubes is pretty good. The tube has a tiny hole in the tip that allows you to put a very small drop in and the gel doesn't spread as much as regular super glue and doesn't set up quite as quickly.

You want to put the glue a little farther down in the hole. (It's felt that gluing close to the surface promotes cracking)

I glue the bridge side first, then the high side and cut it flush with a razor blade (some like to push the high side of the grip down to make it flush, But I feel pushing the high side of the grip down deforms the hole slightly.)

I'd only glue 3 sides, leaving the finger nail side unglued that way you have the option of using shims if needed later.

Have a small bottle of acetone to wipe off any glue that might run out (if using a liquid glue), plus you can use a little on a rag to smooth the edge of the grip if you trim it off.

LOUVIT
04-01-2017, 05:58 PM
off the finger size for a minute, why are the span's different? With a shorter span I would think the fingers want to go in further.

bowl1820
04-01-2017, 06:47 PM
off the finger size for a minute, why are the span's different? With a shorter span I would think the fingers want to go in further.

Shorting the span doesn't "make" the fingers go in farther. If you have the right size finger holes, you just put your fingers in the same distance you normally do.

LOUVIT
04-01-2017, 07:14 PM
Shorting the span doesn't "make" the fingers go in farther. If you have the right size finger holes, you just put your fingers in the same distance you normally do.

Yes on a tight or correct fit insert, I like all my drillings a bit larger, so like when my Phaze was drilled wrong and the span was too short my fingers did go in further. I'd rather use some tape to make them smaller if I need than suffer if my hand swells during bowling. But that's just me

HamSolo
04-01-2017, 08:16 PM

I'm not sure. Both PSOs used the same measuring device to take my span. Not sure who to trust.

bowl1820
04-01-2017, 08:43 PM
I'm not sure. Both PSOs used the same measuring device to take my span. Not sure who to trust.

Fitting is a art and depends on how the PSO see's your hand flexibility etc. and how they view how a ball should fit. Some favor longer spans with lots of reverse thumb pitch, which was the thing years. Today more are in favor of shorter spans and less reverse thumb pitch.

So if you go to different pso's you could easily wind up with different grip spec's if they start fitting you from ecratch. It's up to you to decide which fit is best and use it and tweak as needed till it's dialed in.

If you have concerns about a fit from one shop and go to another shop, you should tell them your concerns and have them check the org. grip and adjust as needed.

chip82901
04-03-2017, 11:07 AM
Some of these guys hit the nail on the head. I've had similar issues as I've had some PSO's use vice, some use turbo. I'm actually going to order up some Ultimate inserts here in the next week or so and start swapping everything over, so that everything has the same feel. They are supposed to be a softer insert, so we shall see how they hold up

NewToBowling
04-03-2017, 11:56 AM
And from what I hear there are variances depending on color as well. I try to stick to Turbo Clear Lifts.