PDA

View Full Version : Bad knee's and can't find the speed !

Old lefty
04-01-2017, 10:47 AM
So....I have 2 bad knee's and I'm having problems generating enough speed for the shot we bowl on (Bourbon St rec pattern ),my ball seems to always roll up early. I'm throwing a Hy-road pin over the middle of my bridge cg almost zero and a Polished RotoGrip Theory pin up Stacked about 1 and 1/2 inches away from my fingers ..both are 15 lb ,just this last week I moved up about a foot in front of the dots ( pretty soon I'll be in front of the ball return )been standing 25 right and trying to swing 12 board(lefty...thus the name )I'll listen to all and try most ......thanks folks !

bowl1820
04-01-2017, 11:32 AM
One way to generate more speed is not to lose the speed you already are generating, Look at your form and rhythm and see if there are things slowing you down.

I've been in a slump for a while, my speed down and other issues, the other night another bowler whose opinions I trust was watching. He said while my basic form was alright, my timing was way off.

He pointed out I was starting my ball late and when I got toward the end of my approach, I was having to muscle down the swing to get the ball to catch up to my body at the finish. This besides causing other issues, robbed me of some of my speed.

So when I got up for my next and on subsequent shots, I worked on getting the ball started sooner and loosening up the swing. Also I felt my feet were a little slow, do to the late start. So I tried to quicken my feet, I imagined having the feeling that I was running to the foul line (Not actually running, just the feeling of going faster).

I looked up after my shot and my speed was up about 2 mph! back closer to what my speed used to be. So a little earlier start of the ball, getting it into the swing earlier and quicker tempo with the feet produced more speed with not too much effort.

LOUVIT
04-01-2017, 05:43 PM
Isn't a higher backswing a way to increase speed. I also have a slow speed and slow short 5 step approach.

bowl1820
04-01-2017, 07:21 PM
Isn't a higher backswing a way to increase speed. I also have a slow speed and slow short 5 step approach.

Most ball speed comes from your feet, If your using a five step approach and are using a slow pace. Your speed will be slower.

The pace of your footwork for 5 steps should be:

Slow
Slow
Quick
Quick
Slide

4 step is:

Slow
Quick
Quick
Slide

RobLV1
04-02-2017, 07:47 AM
The single biggest detriment to ball speed is late timing. I've recently had to move up all the way to the front of the approach due to degenerative bone disease in my back. I still use a five step approach, but my first step is no more than about a 2" shuffle. I feel like my approach is shuffle, shuffle, short, short, slide. That first short shuffle step has improved my timing to such a degree that I have actually gained ball speed by moving way up on the approach. The best thing about it is that I can feel the timing spot: the ball at the top of the backswing that starts down in tandem with my slide.

michiganbowlingcoach
04-04-2017, 12:26 PM
just this last week I moved up about a foot in front of the dots ( pretty soon I'll be in front of the ball return )I'll listen to all and try most ......thanks folks !
Most people I coach when they move up they slow down I would try to stand behind the dots.This way you can be more aggressive with you feet.

been standing 25 right and trying to swing 12 board(lefty...thus the name )
So what is stopping you from moving in deeper? You could move 8-10 boards more right and maybe find more oil. Try a weaker ball .

Old lefty
04-08-2017, 01:52 PM
The whole problem is the pain in the knees prevents me from moving back for more speed,by moving up I also get the ball further down the lane ...which has helped a little,I do like the weaker ball idea.

KYDave
04-09-2017, 08:36 AM
The whole problem is the pain in the knees prevents me from moving back for more speed,by moving up I also get the ball further down the lane ...which has helped a little,I do like the weaker ball idea.

Timing and free arm swing and grip has really helped my speed. Not just mph but consistently hitting less than .5 mph between releases.

That being said, what do you mean getting the ball further down the lane? Closer to the arrows than the foul line?

LOUVIT
04-09-2017, 03:11 PM
Most ball speed comes from your feet, If your using a five step approach and are using a slow pace. Your speed will be slower.

The pace of your footwork for 5 steps should be:

Slow
Slow
Quick
Quick
Slide

4 step is:

Slow
Quick
Quick
Slide

not to hyjack the thread but I have an issue sliding since my heel is on the ground also. I bought brand new shoes and still need a strap on slider. My big frame stops me from running to the line. I take the 5 shortest steps ever...lol

Hammer
10-15-2017, 07:25 PM
The single biggest detriment to ball speed is late timing. I've recently had to move up all the way to the front of the approach due to degenerative bone disease in my back. I still use a five step approach, but my first step is no more than about a 2" shuffle. I feel like my approach is shuffle, shuffle, short, short, slide. That first short shuffle step has improved my timing to such a degree that I have actually gained ball speed by moving way up on the approach. The best thing about it is that I can feel the timing spot: the ball at the top of the backswing that starts down in tandem with my slide.

Being 70 years old now I also have an approach like your which is short. I am standing just a little in front of the ball return. When I look at the foul line when I set up it looks real close but at the end of my slide I am at the foul line and not crossing it. I have short steps also. I start my swing on my second step and it is timed perfectly with the beginning of my slide. I am able to post all of my shots with no trouble.

Amyers
10-16-2017, 10:24 AM
So....I have 2 bad knee's and I'm having problems generating enough speed for the shot we bowl on (Bourbon St rec pattern ),my ball seems to always roll up early. I'm throwing a Hy-road pin over the middle of my bridge cg almost zero and a Polished RotoGrip Theory pin up Stacked about 1 and 1/2 inches away from my fingers ..both are 15 lb ,just this last week I moved up about a foot in front of the dots ( pretty soon I'll be in front of the ball return )been standing 25 right and trying to swing 12 board(lefty...thus the name )I'll listen to all and try most ......thanks folks !

I suffer from low ball speed also here are some things I've found that help:

1. There's a whole world at 15 -20 at the arrows don't be afraid to go there. It's rare I Find myself with a target of 12
2. Switch to 14lbs helps the ball speed and will probably help the ball get down the lane a little farther
3. Only buy balls with higher RG and medium to weak cover stocks (you've done ok there)
4. Surfaces 3k-4k are your friend
5. The comments about timing are dead on

Smiley1994
01-27-2018, 08:13 PM
I have early timing which causes some bad pulls to the left. My ball speed isn’t that good. 14.5-15mph.

RobLV1
01-28-2018, 09:06 PM
The last several articles that I've written for "Bowling This Month" deal specifically with the problems that seniors run into as our bodies turn from being our friend to being our enemy. In my own case, I'm now only bowling in recreational leagues, and I use a plastic spare ball exclusively. The good news is that my average has actually gone up, and I'm enjoying bowling more now than I have in a very long time. I've also found that really getting back to basics has really improved my bowling. I don't change bowling balls, 'cause I only bring one. I don't vary my ball speed, 'cause it hurts too bad. I can make horizontal moves, but I am limited by how far I can go and still get a spare ball back (3rd arrow is about it). What I can do is to really pay attention to lane transition, vary my rotation and tilt, and make sure that I am very accurate, consistent, and pick up my spares. You'd be surprised at how often I have the high series on the pair!