PDA

View Full Version : Perfect Scale

fordman1
04-03-2017, 11:57 AM
What exactly goes into the numbers they come up with? I have a ball that is 176 that works just as well as a 230. Are these numbers realistic?

J Anderson
04-03-2017, 12:32 PM
I think that only someone from Bowlingball.com can answer this. Even then, the precise weighting given to each factor governing a balls performance is most likely a trade secret.

As to whether the ratings are realistic, Rob M has practically made a career in this forum debunking the idea that a single number can be used to compare bowling balls. My guess is that you could find numerous examples of balls with almost identical Perfect Scale numbers that need to be played completely differently because the individual factors are so different yet add up to the same Perfect scale rating.

bowl1820
04-03-2017, 02:43 PM
What exactly goes into the numbers they come up with? I have a ball that is 176 that works just as well as a 230. Are these numbers realistic?

Years ago when I first was looking up info on the perfect scale, I remember seeing a page that told most of the stuff used to figure it. With the exception of the "proprietary algorithm" they used, but that page is long gone.

As far as I remember it used the ball spec's (RG etc.), the manufactures hook & length ratings and the BB.com's proprietary algorithm. The Perfect Scale® Information page now just say's:

"The Perfect Scale® uses mathematical formulas along with the manufacturer's current scale to arrive at a uniform and comparable number"

The basic problem with the Perfect Scale is considered to be that, they use the manufactures hook & length ratings in the formula they use to calculate the number.

That wouldn't be a problem, but the companies don't use a standardized set of criteria in determining their hook & length ratings.They use their own criteria to set the ratings.

Say you have company "A" & "B", both have a ball they give a 50 hook rating to, if company "A" tested "B's" ball they might rate it 45. Or say someone like BTM tested both balls they might rate one 47 and the other 49.

So that kind of skews the numbers, the perfect scale produces. (at least that seems to be the leading idea in most discussions of the perfect scale I've read when it's came up.).

Are these numbers realistic? I couldn't really say, but most say just ignore it.

I think the old adage "Your mileage may vary" applies here. There's a lot of variables, For some it may work perfectly, others it doesn't mean squat.

As it say's on the Perfect Scale page:
"When comparing products, make sure to also take into account other factors that can impact the performance of your bowling equipment, such as your bowling ability, additional ball characteristics provided in the ball description, lane conditions at your local bowling center, etc."

The Perfect Scale is like the ball selectors the MFG's have on their websites, it's just a basic guide, not the end all, be all of ball selection.

It tries though to compare balls across the manufactures, which there's not many that try to do that. Except for the magazines like Bowling this Month or Bowlers journal that review ball s using some kind of a standardized system.

Remember coverstock materials can vary in strength on oil and strength in dry and can have varying response times to friction as some are slow and others quick.

When picking a ball yourself, do your research.

fordman1
04-03-2017, 04:44 PM
Was that a nice way of saying it is all "BS". :cool:
They should all be rated by independent companies.
Or just use the phrase this one hooks like crazy this one not so much?
Who puts out the numbers on the PBA broadcast?
How strenuous is the testing at the factory where the balls are pored?
What is the tolerance?
If you can't cook it is still fun to stir the pot.......

fordman1
04-03-2017, 04:46 PM
Once or twice I have been guilty of seeing a bunch of know it all's spouting off and just made up stuff and posted it. Even quoted expert opinions. Then you just sit back and watch the forest fires burn.

J Anderson
04-03-2017, 05:21 PM
Who puts out the numbers on the PBA broadcast?

Great question. I would guess that they ask the manufacturers to rate their balls. Might be a problem if an unsponsored bowler made the finals with a mix different manufacturers equipment.

But then again, there's little consistency in the anouncer's commentary regarding what balls are being used.

fordman1
04-03-2017, 05:25 PM
Yea I remember when they never said what balls the bowlers were using. Then all of a sudden the Manufacturers moved their logo so it showed when the bowler was getting ready to bowl.

bowl1820
04-03-2017, 05:50 PM
Was that a nice way of saying it is all "BS". :cool:

Is the Perfect Scale BS?

The Perfect Scale is attempting a herculean task, It's taking equipment that will be used on various conditions by users with various styles and abilities and coming from multiple manufactures and using the only information available to try and compare them to each other.

IMO it's a good faith attempt, But it's not perfect. Like any other review/rating you take it with a grain of salt.

Your best bet is to research, compare and ask questions then make your decision.