PDA

View Full Version : What grit sandpaper to use for thumb hole adjustments?

Hammer
04-07-2017, 08:27 PM
Now that it is getting warmer my thumb started hanging up in the thumb hole because of heat and humidity. What grit sandpaper is good for making minor adjustments on either side of the thumb knuckle? This usually starts to happen near the end of the second game on league night. By the third game I start to get pulled shots. So how about some thoughts on this.

bowl1820
04-07-2017, 08:52 PM
That's pretty much just going to be personal preference and what kind of feel you want in the hole.

I have a piece 100 grit I carry around, but I haven't used it in the thumb hole in a long time (years). I have a wood dowel I wrap it around if I need to tweak a new finger insert.

I've seen one or two guys use a small piece of drywall screen.

There's a few workout tools that you could use such as:
Ebonite workout tool
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/31fhlDLEC8L._AC_UL160_SR160,160_.jpg

or

Ebonite 3-in-1 Bowlers Tool
http://www.yourstrikeshop.com/Store/Accessories/Tools/Images/defaul1.jpg

or a

Master Round Rasp
https://www.bowlingindex.com/store/graphics/00000001/Master-Round-Rasp.jpg

KYDave
04-08-2017, 12:30 PM
I have 180 grit.

Do you have a urethane thumb slug?

djp1080
04-08-2017, 02:35 PM
Now that it is getting warmer my thumb started hanging up in the thumb hole because of heat and humidity. What grit sandpaper is good for making minor adjustments on either side of the thumb knuckle? This usually starts to happen near the end of the second game on league night. By the third game I start to get pulled shots. So how about some thoughts on this.
How about using a narrow strip from a scotch-brite pad? Place it on your index finger and rub the area that is likely hanging up on you. I've used the green pad and it doesn't take much. For me it's the sides of the thumb that begins to rub a little bit. The narrow strip of scotch-brite is about 4 inches long and about 3/4 inch wide. Hope this helps...

Timmyb
04-08-2017, 04:08 PM
I use a 120 grit cartridge roll very gently. It's the same roll I use for doing the bevel on the front of my thumb hole.

Stormed1
04-08-2017, 06:59 PM
For minor adjustments I use drywall screen

Tony
04-08-2017, 08:57 PM
I've used a polishing pad with a Dremel to remove a small amount of material and smooth the surface a little better, I've often seen the local PSO's use the same tool using a disc called abrasive buff to smooth and remove a small amount material from the thumb hole.

Timmyb
04-09-2017, 12:18 AM

Never thought of that. Think I need to put that one in my memory bank!

KYDave
04-09-2017, 08:29 AM
Funny thing about drywall screen. Way back in the day my shop would surface my old urethane ball with screen!

No idea what the finish was but it was pretty rough. Worked well tho on that ball, it would actually hook a little haha.

foreverincamo
04-09-2017, 11:13 AM
I'll use 400 grit to remove large amounts and 2000 grit if all I'm trying to do is clean the gunk out of the thumb hole. Tape residue, lane out, rosin, Easy Slide , etc.

LOUVIT
04-09-2017, 03:01 PM
I use the smooth black paper which is used for wet sanding auto bodywork etc..and I sand up and down not around the hole. I had had my span widened and I'm still sticking I will sand it tomorrow. It seems all plugs need to be sanded.

AlexNC
04-10-2017, 08:18 AM

I second this. I have a workout tool and rasp, but it's easier for me to make small changes without taking out too much material with the drywall screen.